Author Topic: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!  (Read 11768 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2020, 01:37:56 AM »
Wow, the sheer richness in both of those forests! Lovely!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2020, 03:35:35 AM »
Ok hint. They key difference isn’t in the plantlife but the other element.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2020, 04:34:33 AM »
As the din subsides
my voice now inaudible,
unnatural, subsumed

Hint: this could fit two separate pages.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2020, 06:08:20 AM »
Wave,

Spoiler: show
Condition of the soul after infection?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2020, 08:24:41 AM »
As the din subsides
my voice now inaudible,
unnatural, subsumed

Hint: this could fit two separate pages.
Only two? The din (of the pre-Rash world) subsiding and one's own voice turning unnatural sounds to me like it could match most of the info pages about grosslings! ;)

But, assuming that it's the victim's bodily voice that turns inaudible and not his soul's, I'd guess sjødraug; mouth and ears going under water certainly helps a lot in silencing noise both ways.

Ok hint. They key difference isn’t in the plantlife but the other element.
... the grey and green frames?!? :3

So, disused and ruined human doodads put in contrast with stuff that seems to be in working order. (Plus an extra bread, to chew on something else once in a while, I guess.)

We haven't had many info pages that even mention both Known and Silent World in one fell swoop. Maps would be a candidate, and the one of the Keuruu-Pori waterway actually qualifies as an info page as well.

The Dagrenning Program page's "impeccable quality" section contrasts two guys whose handiwork one could suspect to look like in your photos, but refrains from actually showing us that.

Abstracting from actually tangible human products, there's the page on Old World languages and what became of them post Rash ...

... but for a guess, I'd like to nominate the Cleansers info, because "Old World ruins" is what they start their work with and a proper inhabited area is what they consider their "ultimate goal", though it's certainly beyond the initial "cleanse cycle" that is their standard task.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2020, 09:31:37 AM »
JoB, your reasoning is good but the page I have in mind is not mentioned yet (and yes I agree hat maps are info pages)

JoB

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »
(and yes I agree hat maps are info pages)
Um, that's not what I said. I very much agree that some maps fill neither their page, nor the spirit of an "info"-whatever.

JoB, your reasoning is good but the page I have in mind is not mentioned yet
Not even mentioned yet?!? Oi, them's fightin' words! >:(
[$HIMSELF's incessant rambling about random associations has already mentioned roughly one third of all the info pages there are]

Since "this year" is supposed to be a hint, I'd say that the reference goes either to a topic relevant to this year's comic pages, or real world events taking place this year.

There are no outright info pages about containment measures in the early phases of COVID-19 the Rash, or about controversial presidential elections, though, so I'm back to the info pages of arc 2 ...

... while the info page on kade does not mention them being a threat to the general, non-mage public at all, we know that the particular one in the plot was successful in in depopulating(*) Toivosaari and several other settlements, as in, turn them from a "green photos" to a "grey photos" place, so how about that?

((*) LEO claims that I could also use the term "to unpeople" instead, is that actually even a word in English ... ?)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
Now you are so close that if the correct answer were a hot kettle, you’d burn your fingers :)

And yes, we are in agreement about the map info pages I believe. (Almost) full page maps such as the Known World and the Pori-Keuruu waterway count as info pages.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:31:12 PM by Jitter »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
Condition of the soul after infection?

Only two? The din (of the pre-Rash world) subsiding and one's own voice turning unnatural sounds to me like it could match most of the info pages about grosslings! ;)

But, assuming that it's the victim's bodily voice that turns inaudible and not his soul's, I'd guess sjødraug; mouth and ears going under water certainly helps a lot in silencing noise both ways.

Huh, you're both right, but neither of those was a page I was thinking of.  Guess it's a bit vague, as JoB suggests.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2020, 05:35:40 PM »
Funny how different associations are, I was again thinking the photo collage was easy peasy :)

JoB

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
Now you are so close that if the correct answer were a hot kettle, you’d burn your fingers :)
Well, this is getting downright embarassing ...

... the only info pages published in 2020 that I have not yet nominated are the ones for kalma.

(And frankly, when I look at the remaining ones that are at least in the current arc - Exodus, Famine, Bæjarblaðið, and Cat Academy - I don't see how any of those could qualify. The exodus is said to have hit Reykjavík in particular, and that looks a tad different from your photos.)

And yes, we are in agreement about the map info pages I believe. (Almost) full page maps such as the Known World and the Pori-Keuruu waterway count as info pages.
Both are listed as info pages by Minna herself, but e.g. this one isn't. I'm under the impression that her definition of an "info page" requires it to be an actual intermission away from any advancement of the plot. (Usually inserted between a chapter's last "plot page" and the next chapter's title page, but we have already had exceptions from that.)

Huh, you're both right, but neither of those was a page I was thinking of.  Guess it's a bit vague, as JoB suggests.
Alright then ...

Two more info pages related specifically to losing one's bodily voice seem to be kallohonka and, as far as the making of a månegarm's concerned, wolf beasts.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2020, 10:24:55 PM »

Alright then ...

Two more info pages related specifically to losing one's bodily voice seem to be kallohonka and, as far as the making of a månegarm's concerned, wolf beasts.

*squints hard at pages* 
*tilts phone to look from another angle*
*phone is on auto-rotate*
*facepalm*

Sorry, no to both.
Spoiler: answer • show
I looked to both Cleansers and Kade for inspiration on that one.

Photo collage:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:26:07 AM by wavewright62 »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
Re: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2020, 04:04:01 AM »
JoB hahaa, keep on listing the info pages and you’ll hit it eventually :) The “hint” about this year was meant to reveal all of the photos are taken in Finland, to help you stop looking for info pages that contrast two nations. Apparently it didn’t help much :)

Wave, that has been suggested and it’s very close but not quite!

JoB

Re: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2020, 07:18:38 AM »
was meant to reveal all of the photos are taken in Finland
"Now, is that possibly a straightforward hint". he ponders ...

It'd take the entire rest of arc 2 info pages off the shortlist in one fell swoop, and leave three still unfingered info pages about Finland and six referring to it, mostly by means of spanning all Nordic languages.

Wave, that has been suggested and it’s very close but not quite!

... the Saimaa Channel page is first and foremost a map page, and we already found that you consider some maps an "info page" that Minna does not. What if the page you're thinking of is not even on my (moderately) extended list ... ?

"Lost" vs. still-going-on settlements of Saimaa?

(And since I'm already making a buffoon out of myself, how about "Emilvision vs. reality"? :V )

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »
Yes! It’s Saimaa settlements, and the contrast is meant to be between existing and lost settlements.

But I’m puzzled, are you saying you don’t think Saimaa settlements is an info page? It’s the same format and page 2 even has the “bubbles”.