Author Topic: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!  (Read 11759 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2020, 04:45:41 AM »
”No Exploives, Emil! No, really, not even small ones! No, the roumd bomb is out too!”

The no fireworks sign I can easily understand, but is there somewhere a sign for “no bombs”? If so, does it work?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2020, 05:10:11 AM »
”No Exploives, Emil! No, really, not even small ones! No, the roumd bomb is out too!”

The no fireworks sign I can easily understand, but is there somewhere a sign for “no bombs”? If so, does it work?
Ha, ha! :D
Yes, the "No Bombs" (more accurately "No Explosives") do exist and there are several versions, with round bombs, tubular bombs and some tubes together as in a TNT pack... Where they are supposed to be used I don't know, because I would say that they are not to be used anywhere unless by a professional and after some careful planning...
(I have a vague recollection to see those next to something fishing-related, maybe to forbid using explosives to fish - yes, there are people that do it :(  )
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2020, 05:44:41 AM »
Oh yes, dynamite fishing. Not good! That explains it.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2020, 06:00:39 AM »
Back to our floating city (I know it's a bit off-topic, but still 100% SSSS-related :) ) I did a small sketch to show what could be a "residential unit". There would be others close, but keeping their "social-distancing" :) (of course I chose the Hotakainen residence as example)
I put this under spoiler to avoid taking too much visual space in this thread
Spoiler: show
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:10:02 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2020, 07:11:44 AM »
Grey! Great, something like that! I love the hearts on the boat :)

Should we make a separate thread?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2020, 07:43:16 AM »
Grey! Great, something like that! I love the hearts on the boat :)

Should we make a separate thread?
I'm glad that you like it! I didn't remember the hearts on the side, just the bird. Good thing that I went to check it in the prologue. :)
I think that it could be an interesting thread. But maybe we should wait a little so we have some more content to put on it? Or you think that this sketch is enough to begin?
I'm still to read all that material you posted, but tonight I'll finish it. I have a few general sketches too, but they need more work and more info.
It would also be nice to have a real location, don't you think? Or we go with a imaginary one? I was thinking some place close to Lalli's island...

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
It would also be nice to have a real location, don't you think? Or we go with a imaginary one? I was thinking some place close to Lalli's island...
If by that you mean the place where all our Y91 living or still-having-thoughts-about-that-"dead"-thing Hotakainens were born, and lived until the Kade wiped out the entire settlement (and apparently a couple more nearby), that one supposedly is in what today is a national park, and bears the name of a RL island elsewhere in the Saimaa region. For all practical purposes and from our POV, it is an imaginary place, IMHO.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
Grey, I'm afraid we'll disturb the mini break event too much, because while the idea was formed here it's really not true to say that it relates to the agreed themes any more :) And, we have Alkia already volunteered to draw too!

JoB, you are of course right that the place is imaginary.

Is it easier for our Head Designer to start from an existing map, or make one up? Check out the links (photos, the texts are in Finnish) on natural environment to get an idea of the real life alternative environment types first and maybe we can decide after that?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2020, 12:41:11 PM »
Well, I did it! A new thread about the Saimaa Floating Town : https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1139.0
It's the first thread that I create (the Monopoly one has my name but it was done by Wave) so I hope I did it right. Any feedback is welcomed! :)
Now back to work (and later to work on that new town...).

As for the "map" I'd like to take a look at the area first. With so many islands I may find a nice real spot... And than I'll show before we decide. But anyone please fell free to suggest if there's a place that seems appropriate! :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
So here’s a proper contribution for a change! It’s these two compilations together (all photos are mine and taken this year)

JoB

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
So here’s a proper contribution for a change! It’s these two compilations together (all photos are mine and taken this year)
Hmmmmm, now what info page could that refer to ...

For some reason, the "grey" set of photos (with lots of unpainted wood surfaces) speaks "Finland" to me, while I associate the "green" set with the houses painted in vivid colors more with the coasts Scandinavia has to the Atlantic proper. (He said, never actually having visited either.) Also, the gardens/plants look better tended to in one set than the other O:-), which matches the stance some of the info pages exhibit that the Known World has sort of an Iceland-to-Finland gradient/divide.

But which one? Having just the two doesn't match the five nationalities, or the three contenders here, for that matter, and this page pits Finland against a way different ex-nation ... not really against, though.

So that leaves me with the info pages on mages, even though the snide dismissal of one of the two sides is mostly absent in it ...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:18:12 PM by JoB »
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
JoB, you are onto something but no correct guesses. Remember, the photos are taken this year.

JoB

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2020, 06:23:57 PM »
JoB, you are onto something but no correct guesses. Remember, the photos are taken this year.
... this year, you specifically made and published photos of the places the comic's events currently take place in; basically, the stretch from Väinös hideout magic bus stack to Joensuu.

The only info pages having a clear connection to that area, however, are those on the sentinel mages and lehto.
(By the way, upon rereading the pages, I now notice that Minna used "lehtos", but apparently also "lehto" ("The 'lehto' are ..."), for a plural ... ?)
As a rather remote possibility, the info page on wolf beasts does not have a clear connection to the above area, but it does contrast different nations ... three of them, though ...

... but as a pronounced guess, I'ld say that you contrasted a grey "unnot-inhabited-anymore Finland as usual" against a green "lehto well maintained by the local gods/spirits" there.

JoB

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
Let me add two more so that people will have a couple days until the 1st to despair solve them ... >:D

#6 Two sailors walk past each other on deck. One is dragging a wooden crate behind him, marked with "DANGER" and obviously very heavy, with all signs of being royally unsatisfied with his assignment. The other holds a huge cardboard box on his shoulder with but one hand as he walks by; "Sorry, dude," he says to his fellow seaman, "I am trying to help you here, but it just ain't working out!"

#7 Door to door
All shut in front of my face
Nothing else to do
But to get to the next one
And yet I like it here
'Cause I'm near home

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2020, 07:14:32 PM »
JoB, not lehto :)