Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler  (Read 19618 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Chapter Break Filler
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2020, 07:39:22 AM »
Case in point, the exact same story is 76 words in Finnish!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

yeethaw_gang

• Tumblr
  • bro....we're discussing the meaning of life bro...
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2020, 07:55:21 AM »
Baking

I ask if you want to knead the dough
Not because I need the help
But because I want to be in the same room as you
Because I love the flour fights we get into
And because I love you

This is perhaps the most heartfelt poem I have ever written. It's very short, but uh. I wanted to convey one of my personal joys of baking.
"you look stressed" "yeah, it's the stress"

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »
It is lovely!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:22 AM »
Jitter and Yeethaw_gang, I love both of your contributions! They're very - how do I say it - wholesome? Sweet?

Jitter, yours was very funny! And Yeethaw - you're right, it's very heartfelt, and I love it for that.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2020, 11:26:16 AM »
Noodles, that's so beautiful! It made me wish to bake some myself! Of course they wouldn't be so pretty, but I'd have the taste, and that sweet smell :)

Jitter, that's so funny! I imagine that just after Lalli spoke that last sentence Onni was hit by a handful of flour! :D

yeethaw_gang, that's very heartfelt and also sounds very personal... I wish you many flour fights in the future! ;)

Keep Looking, thanks, again and again, for organizing this! If it weren't for you we wouldn't have all those delightful things.

Sorry but no poem today :( Had to do many things (including a reminder). Maybe tomorrow...
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

scottishnottish

• chaotic good mountain dwarf
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »
Helloooo all I'm late to the party, trying to catch up but everybody's art/writing/poetry is soo goood

I kinda combined a few prompts for this poem, and it's in two parts, the first part is sort-of a neutral tone, and the second part is a somber/sad tone, but the two can kinda be taken individually if you don't want a downer. Anyways, have a gloomy poem written from Lalli's perspective

---

I find difficulty in the sunlight
A strange burning a million miles away
Greeting me in the morning
As if my skin was worthy of soaking in its amber rays

I squint at its pleasantries
Good morning, friend, how are you today?
Just let me cover my head
And close my eyes again, sleep the day away

I find comfort in the midnight
Some time alone in the long hours after day
No conversations, just the silence
Nothing to think of, nothing to say

---

The night is my steady friend
I find difficulty in the sun's shimmering waves
Playing in the soft clouds
Reminding me of the ocean, the bay
The cool pebble beaches
Along the river where we used to play
And splash, for brief happy moments
So long ago, before the seas took you away

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2020, 12:09:55 PM »
Thank you Scottish, it is a bit sad but very beautiful. And one of the prompts was nostalgia, so some melancholy goes very well with that.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2020, 04:13:01 PM »
yeethaw that poem is beautiful! thanks for posting it :>
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »
*helps self to kisu cookies*  Thank you, Noodles, Jitter and yeethaw_gang for piles of warm fuzzies, and to scottish_nottish for this dark beauty you've put together.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

scottishnottish

• chaotic good mountain dwarf
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »
Thank you Jitter and Wavewright! So I got to thinking about how Lalli and Tuuri are like night and day, and thought writing one from her perspective would be neat. I like to imagine wherever she is, it's somewhere sunny and pleasant.

I come alive in the sunlight
A pleasant warmth from a billion miles away
Greeting me in the early hours
Like little hugs on my cheeks through window panes

I speak softly to the morning sun
Good morning, friend, how are you today?
lay still for a moment, let it soak in
and stretch out the night's stiffness and aches

though the midnight gives me shivers
like frostbitten fingers on a snow-blind day
I think of the sunshine, not far off
and how I will greet it, what I will say
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:24:43 PM by scottishnottish »

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:02 PM »
scottishnottish, those are wonderful! You may be a little late, but are like those guests that arrive late because they went first to some special place and brought a particularly special delight, making the party even better!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Mariiii

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2020, 07:13:55 PM »
Noodles these little Kitty biscuits look sooo tasty  :))

Jitter I love your little story, I don't think Lalli will try to do something with Emil's cousins anymore haha

yeethaw_gang and scottishnottish these are lovely poems !
Native :france:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2020, 08:13:22 PM »
I haven't been here much because of end-of-semester stuff, and lost track of whose contributions went up since my last visit, so just let me say thank-you very much to all the contributors. All this creativity is a lovely gift at a busy time, so even if I don't pop in and praise your work, know that I'm enjoying it.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2020, 01:41:48 AM »
Oh I suppose it could be the cousins. Although why Lalli would even try with them, I don’t know. I didn’t even think of that possibility, but Onni has been their baby-sitter so why not! A fun reading, Mariiii!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2020, 01:55:28 AM »
Chapter Break Filler

.._.._..

Prompt 7: Feast

.._.._..

Today's prompt is Feast, and the one and only Róisín has provided us with a wonderful tale of food, family and surprisingly functional solar panels.

Spoiler: show
In the middle of Silent Finland was no place for a celebration, but somehow Mikkel felt that one was in order. Sigrun and Lalli were healing well from their wounds, Onni was recovering from his battle with the Kade, and was sometimes even seen to smile when looking at Russu, the young woman who carried the soul of his sister, and who had led them to this place. All of them had been deeply shaken by their experiences, especially Emil who had found his entire worldview to be turned upside down, but slowly they were all reaching a new equilibrium, and realising that whatever happened to them now, they were a team, and deeply bonded together. So Mikkel thought about giving them all a richly deserved feast.

The old farmstead where they had forted up to recover looked to have been an exceptional place in the Old World. The thick fieldstone walls had kept trolls and beasts out, as had the finely crafted wardspells on every door and window, and the only body they had found there had been that of a very old woman, showing no signs of the disease, tucked into a bed in the attic and looking as if her death had been a peaceful one. When Onni had translated the thick document they had found wrapped in layers of waxed parchment on her bedside table, he had burst into tears, but they seemed to be happy tears as well as those of mourning. He finally understood why, when he had laid a hand on the heavy front door, intending to carefully attempt to work his way through the wardspells so as to get the battered party into shelter from a wild and freakish summer storm, the door had swung open under his hand, and he had felt rather than heard a soft voice whisper “Welcome home”.

The document had been both an explanation and a will. The body they had found had been that of the last owner of ‘Field to Table Organic Farm and Fine Dining’, who had been a young woman when the Rash had struck, killing her parents and grandfather who had founded the place before she was born, but leaving her and her grandmother untouched. This had both puzzled and grieved her. She and her grandmother had continued to live there, since the fields surrounding the farmhouse were richly planted, the house had both an excellent solar power system, large water tanks, and well stocked freezers and pantries, and she felt strangely safe there. That sense of safety was explained as her innate magic awoke and she made the acquaintance of the local landspirits, who explained their long alliance with her parents and grandparents. Unfortunately, her family had not been immune. She however was, and none of the landspirits knew why. But they cared for and protected the child of their old friends until she was able to protect herself.

When a small group of refugees arrived at the farm, she had found one of the young men in the party attractive, and as the newcomers fitted into farm life they had continued to grow closer, eventually marrying in an improvised ceremony. Their son, Russu told Onni, had been her father. When her grandmother had died, Russu had set out into the wilderness trying to reach another settlement to get help, but had found the buildings empty and neglected. She had been walking back to the farm when she had encountered Lalli, who had led her to the group.

She had asked for their help in burying her grandmother, which they had given gladly. Sisu was laid to rest under a spreading apple tree in the old rose garden, near the graves of her parents, grandparents, husband and son. Now they had finished rereading Sisu’s will, and while a shaken group considered their new situation, Mikkel thought about feeding everyone.

With Russu’s help he tidied the kitchen and began to gather ingredients. To his amazement, the solar power had lasted well enough that the refrigerator and freezer were still functioning. Russu had explained that her grandmother and parents had known how to maintain the equipment, and had shown her, and she suspected that the landspirits had something to do with the lack of corrosion and decay of the solar panels. Mikkel mulled this information over, grateful but very deeply puzzled. Perhaps there were parts of his worldview that he really needed to revise.....

“Mikkel?” Russu asked hesitantly in what he was beginning to think of as her ‘Tuuri voice’. “Do you think, if we showed you where to look, we could have some spices? Remember, this used to be a really fancy gourmet restaurant. They had some, and unless the freezers have failed those should still be good.”

Mikkel liked the idea. He already had a rich vegetable soup on the stove, and a haunch of lamb from the freezer defrosted and baking in the big woodfired oven. Bread was rising in pans, ready to go in the oven. All he needed was a dessert.

Sweet pancakes would be nice, he thought. With some of the fresh berries from the garden, and some kind of sauce. He started leafing through the old recipe books that Russu had showed him. What would go with pancakes? She was leaning close, reading over his shoulder, and pointed to a recipe. “What about this one? We have the ingredients, I picked rosehips every summer, with my gran, and we dried a whole lot, because they are medicine as well as food, and they are delicious. One of my favourites!”

She leaned closer, hugging his shoulder. Mikkel sighed. Russu reminded him so much of Tuuri, even before the girl had opened herself to offer Tuuri’s spirit a shared home. Small, silver haired, cheerful, curious, and so very, very Finnish. But now was not the time to think about that. Together they set to the task of following the ancient recipe for Sauce Eglantine.

When they sat down to eat a few hours later, Russu at the head of the table flanked by Mikkel and Reynir with the other team members ranged along the table, she raised her glass in a toast. “Let us drink” she said solemnly, to my grandmother who has found her peace at last, knowing I am safe, and to this, our stronghold and our home”.

Thanks very much to Róisín for today's piece, and if any of you feel inspired by this prompt, feel free to share with us what you've made!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport