Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411310 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14685 on: March 25, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Yeah, you do not talk to strangers on British public transport. Even the briefest of eye contact is unofficially discouraged.

Which, I should note, didn't stop me from saying hello.  More often than not, I got a positive response and a conversation.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14686 on: March 25, 2016, 12:10:22 PM »
Eugh, chatty public transport people... It's always so hard to bite my tongue and stop myself from saying "Who are you, and why do you think I want to talk to you?" But it's certainly what I'm thinking.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:40:52 PM by Yuuago »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14687 on: March 25, 2016, 12:28:43 PM »
This sounds normal to me,  but I'm a New Yorker.  We talk to *everyone*

Huh, from my experience with New York public transport, I was thinking it was the opposite. I haven't had strangers talk to me unless they're asking for directions or trying to solicit money :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14688 on: March 25, 2016, 12:48:08 PM »
Eugh, chatty public transport people... It's always so hard to bite my tongue and stop myself from saying "Who are you, and why do you think I want to talk to you?" But it's certainly what I'm thinking.
OTOH, when you're standing out in the cold-and-dark for half an hour before the bus arrives, people get chatty. As soon as they get on the bus, though--dead silence.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #14689 on: March 25, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
Huh, from my experience with New York public transport, I was thinking it was the opposite. I haven't had strangers talk to me unless they're asking for directions or trying to solicit money :P

Same, I never talk to people on the subway. Or the bus, the few times I've taken it.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14690 on: March 25, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »
Same, I never talk to people on the subway. Or the bus, the few times I've taken it.

I don't think I've ever had a subway ride where I didn't. 

I've probably taken the  NYC bus fewer than a dozen times in my life.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14691 on: March 25, 2016, 02:32:22 PM »
I've been on my feet all day and then have thoroughly steamed myself in sauna (I missed having sauna, you have no idea). One beer and then I'll probably head to bed early, tomorrow will be spent walking around in Helsinki and meeting friends. I thought I slept well yesterday, having to wake up at 4 a.m. to catch a morning flight does that, but now I feel even sleepier...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14692 on: March 25, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »
Just to wish those here on the Forum who'll be celebrating this weekend a happy and meaningful Easter!

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14693 on: March 25, 2016, 05:42:29 PM »
Just to wish those here on the Forum who'll be celebrating this weekend a happy and meaningful Easter!
Yes, happy Easter to all celebrating! ^_^
I'm very much looking forward to it; it and Christmas are the two Holidays that revitalize me the most, I feel. After so long, my faith feels like it's starting to stagnate, but Easter and Christmas always manage to rejuvenate that part of my life (which in turn rejuvenates me as a whole).
Plus, being 21 now, I'll probably have some actual wine, which will be nice! :)

So, to reiterate what Urbicande said, happy easter to all celebrating!

EDIT: Lol, hope I didn't just kill the conversation, guys! Just trying to jump in and discuss the upcoming holiday, heh. :'D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:27:47 PM by G0vnah »
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14694 on: March 26, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
Today was another day spent walking around, and by the feel of it I might have walked a stress fracture to my left foot. From now on style be damned, I'm wearing my boots instead.

The highlight of the day was dinner at Harald, a viking theme restaurant, a bit kitchy but the food people, the food! I can wholeheartedly recommend both cinnamon and (wood) tar beer and the Rune Maker's Game Sword. Aaaaaa so good. I ate so much I can barely move.

Tomorrow, meeting some friends, lizards and family, not necessarily in that order.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14695 on: March 26, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
Thanks for the information, but what I was trying to find out is why it has to be in such a painful location? Keep in mind that I have no medical expertise, I'm just a curious layperson, so there will be much dumbing down required. :)
I looked up a couple info sheets on rabies immunoglobulin at random, it seems to me that the recommendation is somewhat different nowadays. The injections are still required to go into muscles, mind, so there's certainly a minimum amount of pain to be expected. Nonetheless, the top three priorities on where to inject are a) as much as possible in and around the location of the bite, the rest b) as far away from where the vaccine is injected as possible, and c) if you need suggestions, two nice big muscles are those your patient usually sits on.

(The immunoglobulin is only given to persons who never have been vaccinated against rabies, or maybe to those whose titer levels are similarly low because the vaccination happened so long ago. Basically they dock onto the virus and yell "hey, immune system, destroy this!" in the time until the vaccine causes your body to produce its own immunoglobulin. I'ld guess that injecting them into the blood stream wouldn't get them to where the virii are; rabies virii are believed to travel along nerves toward the CNS. Also, intramuscular injections imply a rather slow "release" into the body; making repeat immunoglobulin injections is rather strongly discouraged, mainly because of interference with the ongoing vaccine injections IIUC.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14696 on: March 26, 2016, 06:40:25 PM »
Laufey, that sounds awesome. Lizards?

Job, rabies immunoglobulin isn't the only thing injected into belly muscles. When my husband was laid up for a couple of years with a hospital staph infection, they were worried about blood clots because for a lot of that time he was comatose or semi-comatose and not moving, so they injected a daily dose of anticoagulant into his belly muscles. When he was awake enough to notice, it obviously hurt. I've seen other drugs administered that way too.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14697 on: March 26, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
The highlight of the day was dinner at Harald, a viking theme restaurant, a bit kitchy but the food people, the food! I can wholeheartedly recommend both cinnamon and (wood) tar beer and the Rune Maker's Game Sword. Aaaaaa so good. I ate so much I can barely move.

That looks incredible! Although (coming from an English cultural background) it is a bit startling to see "cold smoked horse" all over the menu  ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14698 on: March 26, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

Oooh!  I ate there! The one in Helsinki?

There's a very silly photo of me wearing the plastic horned helmet.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14699 on: March 26, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
I looked up a couple info sheets on rabies immunoglobulin at random, it seems to me that the recommendation is somewhat different nowadays. The injections are still required to go into muscles, mind, so there's certainly a minimum amount of pain to be expected. Nonetheless, the top three priorities on where to inject are a) as much as possible in and around the location of the bite, the rest b) as far away from where the vaccine is injected as possible, and c) if you need suggestions, two nice big muscles are those your patient usually sits on.

(The immunoglobulin is only given to persons who never have been vaccinated against rabies, or maybe to those whose titer levels are similarly low because the vaccination happened so long ago. Basically they dock onto the virus and yell "hey, immune system, destroy this!" in the time until the vaccine causes your body to produce its own immunoglobulin. I'ld guess that injecting them into the blood stream wouldn't get them to where the virii are; rabies virii are believed to travel along nerves toward the CNS. Also, intramuscular injections imply a rather slow "release" into the body; making repeat immunoglobulin injections is rather strongly discouraged, mainly because of interference with the ongoing vaccine injections IIUC.)

Okay thanks, that at least makes some degree of sense. I've tried searching for this information myself, but it doesn't help that I have approximately zero expertise in medicine and have no idea where to look.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: