Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411435 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14670 on: March 25, 2016, 12:01:27 AM »
ALIENS O_O

THEY HAVE COME TO STEAL OUR POUTINE
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #14671 on: March 25, 2016, 12:02:10 AM »
They look like they might be sea rafts, a type of cnidarian. They look really cool, though!
Ah, that's exactly what they look like! Thank you, that's an interesting article. I've literally never heard of Sea Rafts, they sure are weird looking things.

ALIENS O_O
Not gonna lie, that was like the third thought that popped into my mind upon seeing these.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14672 on: March 25, 2016, 01:17:32 AM »
Ah, that's exactly what they look like! Thank you, that's an interesting article. I've literally never heard of Sea Rafts, they sure are weird looking things.
Not gonna lie, that was like the third thought that popped into my mind upon seeing these.
Ooh, we have those here too. Funny-looking critters.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14673 on: March 25, 2016, 01:33:07 AM »
Yeah, they look like by-the-wind-sailors (sorry, that's the name I know them by, that and Vellela). The web-like membrane on their backs can be raised like a sail, to catch the wind and move them about, or in this case strand them on the beach, poor things. They are actually colonies of micro-jellyfish, and have tiny stinger tentacles on the underside with which they catch plankton and such tiny stuff. Don't pick them up, some people are allergic, and while most human skin is resistant to their tiny stinging cells, getting them near your eyes and mouth may be unwise. We used to find them washed up on the beaches in the West of Ireland.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14674 on: March 25, 2016, 01:51:39 AM »
Finally got around to watching the Sherlock Christmas special (The Abominable Bride) and basically the conclusion I got from it is that the whole show is actually about Sherlock being high on drugs and going crazy. (Seriously though, it was a pretty good episode, however overpriced.)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14675 on: March 25, 2016, 03:08:08 AM »
A long weekend in the old homeland up ahead. The whole yesterday was spent either flying or running around in Helsinki where so much has changed and so little has changed. When did store staff get so talkative? I was constantly approached by someone wanting to know if I needed help and running me a list of what things were on offer or new, and that was unpleasant as all heck. Didn't get much clothes shopping done, will try again on Saturday.

Other than that I bought tea and art supplies of course, Icelandic tea variety does not come even close to what I can access here and well, same for the art supplies. Besides it was fun to see my old employer again, I used to work at that craft store for a bit back in the day.

Today I'll head to the woods, er, by crossing the street maybe.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14676 on: March 25, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »
People offering me help when I'm shopping make me so uncomfortable that I have to fight the urge to just leave immediately. :D Chatty people on public transport are even worse though because you can't escape until you get to your stop. Also, they're often drunk.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #14677 on: March 25, 2016, 06:08:50 AM »
Headphones. In public. Always. Big, do-not-talk-to-me-I-can't-hear-you headphones. Works against chatty co-passengers, salesfolk, ad jingles and annoying background music.

Well, that and pretending to only speak Japanese if someone already caught you.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14678 on: March 25, 2016, 06:16:53 AM »
I get a lot of people talking to me on public transport, in fact it is quite usual for total strangers to sit down by me and begin to tell me their life story, or to ask my advice about something. I suspect I look like everyones' bushie grandmother! I don't really mind, unless they are really irritating or smelly. I often learn interesting things, or am able to help.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14679 on: March 25, 2016, 06:32:17 AM »
People offering me help when I'm shopping make me so uncomfortable that I have to fight the urge to just leave immediately. :D Chatty people on public transport are even worse though because you can't escape until you get to your stop. Also, they're often drunk.

If you tell them you're 'just browsing' they leave you alone. It's not like they're trying to harass you or anything, they're paid to help people find what they need.

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14680 on: March 25, 2016, 06:34:39 AM »
If you tell them you're 'just browsing' they leave you alone. It's not like they're trying to harass you or anything, they're paid to help people find what they need.
Oh, I know that, I just can't help that it terrifies me for some reason. :P
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14681 on: March 25, 2016, 07:02:02 AM »

I'm in the tram, standing, which is perfectly fine because I sit in front of the computer too much at work so I prefer not sit in the tram.

1. Someone (speaking English) tries to offer me his seat, apparently just because I'm a woman. This alone would have been enough to make me highly uncomfortable but it gets worse. I politely refuse, but he insists. I have to explain why I don't want to sit.
2. He starts making small talk, asking about my work, etc. I force a smile and give short, vague answers, hoping each question is the last one. It's only two tram stops but he gets to "are your parents from Helsinki" before I can escape.

And the worst part is that I still feel I was so rude not wanting to talk to him. :D At least I remembered to say 'have a nice day' before I sneaked out.

He might have been from Hungary... it's hammered into every kid's head, that they should offer their seats to the elderly, pregnant women and women in general. And if young people don't stand up when someone of the said group approaches, the "youngsters these days" rant will begin.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14682 on: March 25, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »
Chatty people on public transport are even worse though because you can't escape until you get to your stop. Also, they're often drunk.

I was on the bus on the way back from the airport and I'm wearing my university sweater (because it's giant and comfy and like wearing a big blanket so perfect for planes) and this random guy sits next to me and starts asking me about my grades and if I have a boyfriend and all sorts of really personal questions and the whole time I was just like ok when is my stop when is my stop when is my stop aghhhhh.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14683 on: March 25, 2016, 09:49:23 AM »
I get a lot of people talking to me on public transport, in fact it is quite usual for total strangers to sit down by me and begin to tell me their life story, or to ask my advice about something. I suspect I look like everyones' bushie grandmother! I don't really mind, unless they are really irritating or smelly. I often learn interesting things, or am able to help.

This sounds normal to me,  but I'm a New Yorker.  We talk to *everyone*

Even on the London Underground,  which is Just Not Done.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14684 on: March 25, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
Even on the London Underground,  which is Just Not Done.

Yeah, you do not talk to strangers on British public transport. Even the briefest of eye contact is unofficially discouraged.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3