Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411336 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14655 on: March 24, 2016, 02:47:08 PM »
I just applied for a job. Wish me luck!
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14656 on: March 24, 2016, 03:06:08 PM »

Good luck!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14657 on: March 24, 2016, 03:10:17 PM »
Well, to counter the blizzard talk (of which I'm jealous), a Florida update: It Is Starting To Approach Too Damn Hot (read: summer) and I Am Mad About It >:V
I didn't realise there was a time in Florida when it wasn't...

Best of luck to you!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14658 on: March 24, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »

Best of luck ja, they're sure to employ you. I'd employ you.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #14659 on: March 24, 2016, 05:54:57 PM »
Good luck!

Honestly I've been trying to find out forever why rabies shots, particularly the older ones that involved a couple dozen jabs right in the stomach, had to be so insanely excruciating, why they couldn't just give you a normal shot, and I have. Had. No. Luck. Whatsoever. Seriously, why does this information seem to be hidden under lock and key? Was the guy who invented the thing just an evil sadist, what? If anybody knows this, please tell me, it's been driving me crazy!

Lazy8, I found this article that might help you some with your questions (there was also one that looked promising in the Lancet but I'm not subscribing or registering just to read that one article ugh. Basically, the vaccine given to pets, and humans at high risk of exposure, does not give 100% protection. Even after you're vaccinated, the virus is hard for the immune system to recognize quickly enough before the virus spreads to your nerve system. Therefore, if you do get exposed, you get those shots in the stomach that is not a vaccine at all, but treatment that contains ready-made specific immunoglobulin -what the body actually uses in order to recognize and kill pathogens effectively- (It works immediately by "flagging" the virus for the immune system to kill).
On top of that, you're given ordinary vaccine shots to help your immune system produce those immunoglobulins more quickly and effectively all by itself. I'f you're already vaccinated, you need fewer extra shots as the body will go "aha I've seen these ugly things before" more quickly. (I have no idea if this is too basic or not? I tend to forget what I knew and what not before I had microbiology classes some years ago)
And Pasteur is still one of my heroes.

A friend who lives back in my hometown of Manchester sent me a text last night saying "the [expletive] skyscraper is singing again".
Which means that this is happening. (That's the Beetham Tower, tallest building in Manchester and certainly the most vocal when the wind picks up.)
Aaah I'm glad I don't live close to a singing skyscraper like that! Fancy when viewed on a short video, not so fancy if it keeps me awake.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14660 on: March 24, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Good luck starfallz :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14661 on: March 24, 2016, 07:01:38 PM »
The only two things certain in life are death and taxes.  Although I'm doing my best to avoid the first, I've got no choice but to work on the second.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14662 on: March 24, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »

Good luck!

Poutine is also on my bucket list. Down towards the end because it's entirely possible it would kill me :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14663 on: March 24, 2016, 09:09:29 PM »
... you're talking about rabies vaccination!? I got a boatload of shots for a business trip to India in early 2009, including three of Rabipur, can't say that they felt any different from the others ...

I was talking about what you have to get if you're actually bitten by a rabid (or suspected rabid) animal. Or at least the rumors I've heard about it.

Lazy8, I found this article that might help you some with your questions (there was also one that looked promising in the Lancet but I'm not subscribing or registering just to read that one article ugh. Basically, the vaccine given to pets, and humans at high risk of exposure, does not give 100% protection. Even after you're vaccinated, the virus is hard for the immune system to recognize quickly enough before the virus spreads to your nerve system. Therefore, if you do get exposed, you get those shots in the stomach that is not a vaccine at all, but treatment that contains ready-made specific immunoglobulin -what the body actually uses in order to recognize and kill pathogens effectively- (It works immediately by "flagging" the virus for the immune system to kill).
On top of that, you're given ordinary vaccine shots to help your immune system produce those immunoglobulins more quickly and effectively all by itself. I'f you're already vaccinated, you need fewer extra shots as the body will go "aha I've seen these ugly things before" more quickly. (I have no idea if this is too basic or not? I tend to forget what I knew and what not before I had microbiology classes some years ago)
And Pasteur is still one of my heroes.

Thanks for the information, but what I was trying to find out is why it has to be in such a painful location? Keep in mind that I have no medical expertise, I'm just a curious layperson, so there will be much dumbing down required. :)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14664 on: March 24, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »
Starfallz: best of luck for the job!

Viola: poutine is great, but not with gravy. I like mine with good maple syrup and sea salt. Try it, it's good!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #14665 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »
Well, considering the average intake of maple syrup in my household, that doesn't seem weird in the slightest! I'll have to try it! (Maple syrup makes a good drink when mixed with club soda, about .5cm on the bottom of a glass, fill the rest with club soda, and give it a stir to help mix it.)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14666 on: March 24, 2016, 10:28:07 PM »
Viola: poutine is great, but not with gravy. I like mine with good maple syrup and sea salt. Try it, it's good!

Fries, cheese curd, and *maple syrup*??

I...don't know what to say.

Well, considering the average intake of maple syrup in my household, that doesn't seem weird in the slightest! I'll have to try it! (Maple syrup makes a good drink when mixed with club soda, about .5cm on the bottom of a glass, fill the rest with club soda, and give it a stir to help mix it.)

Then again, I know what to say to this and it's "the less I have, the more there is for you!"

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #14667 on: March 24, 2016, 11:35:14 PM »
I've never had poutine before, but that actually sounds really good! Probably better than gravy, which I'm not a fan of on most things.

So I went to the beach today, and these weird things were everywhere. Seriously, they covered probably half of the beach, and extend to other beaches. They've probably been there for a couple of days now, does anyone have any clue what they might be?

They are also about the size of a fingernail if they are a big one, and squishable, though I didn't touch them. I called them little blue empanadas, for lack of a better name. Though that's a pretty good name by my standards.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #14668 on: March 24, 2016, 11:42:24 PM »
So I went to the beach today, and these weird things were everywhere. Seriously, they covered probably half of the beach, and extend to other beaches. They've probably been there for a couple of days now, does anyone have any clue what they might be?

They look like they might be sea rafts, a type of cnidarian. They look really cool, though!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14669 on: March 24, 2016, 11:46:13 PM »

They are also about the size of a fingernail if they are a big one, and squishable, though I didn't touch them. I called them little blue empanadas, for lack of a better name. Though that's a pretty good name by my standards.

ALIENS O_O
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help