Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411561 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14640 on: March 24, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
WE HAVE ACHIEVED BLIZZARD

Hurray for snow!
(I feel like I should know what poutine is...)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14641 on: March 24, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »
That's almost Y-90 levels of desolate.  Where IS everyone?

Class prolly. It's the middle of lecture time. Or they're using the tunnels. We have tunnels that connect all the buildings underground so that you can get from one side of campus to the other when the weather is like this. It's snowing even harder now than it was when I took the picture.

Hurray for snow!
(I feel like I should know what poutine is...)

Poutine is this:

(french fries, cheese curds, gravy)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14642 on: March 24, 2016, 11:17:28 AM »
Class prolly. It's the middle of lecture time. Or they're using the tunnels. We have tunnels that connect all the buildings underground so that you can get from one side of campus to the other when the weather is like this. It's snowing even harder now than it was when I took the picture.

I'm so jelly of campuses that have tunnels. :'| Mine did NOT and winter sure was... something, let me tell you.

And now you've given me a craving for poutine. Take responsibility.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14643 on: March 24, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
Poutine is this:

I'm going to just quote what I wrote in LiveJournal way back in the days that I worked in Montreal:

"If Quebec was an independent nation and had a national food, it would undoubtedly be poutine. It is, without a doubt, one of the most heart-unhealthy foodstuffs I've seen commonly eaten. Fries/chips and fresh cheese curd, covered in thick, brown gravy. Nobody is entirely sure of where it was invented, or how. I'm slightly more interested in why somone would do this, though.

In any event, artery-clogging or not, the stuff's ubiquitous. It's sold in all kinds of places, from nice restaurants (which undoubtedly use hand-cut gourmet potatoes cooked in extra-virgin olive oil) to La Belle Province, a Quebec fast-food place chain that's all over the place; there are at least 3 within a 10 minute walk of my hotel.

I wonder how it is that people in the province of Quebec don't all drop dead of heart problems in their early 30s."
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #14644 on: March 24, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »

Poutine is this:

Eee, I skipped lunch, that's making me hungry.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14645 on: March 24, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »
Poutine is this:

I feel like this is something you have to be immersed in a culture to enjoy xD
(Or maybe that's just my own instinctive dislike of anything other than salt and vinegar on chips)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14646 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »
And now you've given me a craving for poutine. Take responsibility.

You're welcome  :D

Anyone who comes to visit me I will take them to get some poutine
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #14647 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
You're welcome  :D

Anyone who comes to visit me I will take them to get some poutine
I still want to meet you, but I'm not sure I need to eat poutine ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14648 on: March 24, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »

What's the wind velocity at?

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14649 on: March 24, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »
Gah, having poutine is on my bucket list. I swear it looks absolutely delicious!
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14650 on: March 24, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »

THE POWER OF SNOW! YES!

To add to the poutine conversation, I actually had poutine for dinner last night! Not store bought, we made fries in the oven and gravy from scratch, with some roast beef and peas on top. :D It was delicious! (also, fries are surprisingly easy to make without a deep-frier. just chop up potatoes, and put them on a baking sheet with olive oil and salt on 350˚ for 15 min.)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #14651 on: March 24, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
Well, to counter the blizzard talk (of which I'm jealous), a Florida update: It Is Starting To Approach Too Damn Hot (read: summer) and I Am Mad About It >:V
YEET

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14652 on: March 24, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »
Well, to counter the blizzard talk (of which I'm jealous), a Florida update: It Is Starting To Approach Too Damn Hot (read: summer) and I Am Mad About It >:V
Dang, lol. My parents vacationed in Florida for their anniversary in January, and it was raining the whole entire time! Like, it was some kind of record or some freak thing, and Florida doesn't usually get that much rain. But now it's heating up horribly? Man, thank goodness there's AC at least, lol
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14653 on: March 24, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
Honestly I've been trying to find out forever why rabies shots, particularly the older ones that involved a couple dozen jabs right in the stomach, had to be so insanely excruciating, why they couldn't just give you a normal shot, and I have. Had. No. Luck. Whatsoever. Seriously, why does this information seem to be hidden under lock and key? Was the guy who invented the thing just an evil sadist, what? If anybody knows this, please tell me, it's been driving me crazy!
... you're talking about rabies vaccination!? I got a boatload of shots for a business trip to India in early 2009, including three of Rabipur, can't say that they felt any different from the others ...

I wonder how it is that people in the province of Quebec don't all drop dead of heart problems in their early 30s.
They do, they just don't stay down. There's a reason why the U.S. are so obsessed with the possibility of getting overrun by zombies. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14654 on: March 24, 2016, 02:40:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure Florida is already too darn hot for my tastes :/