Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411262 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14625 on: March 24, 2016, 04:45:02 AM »
A friend who lives back in my hometown of Manchester sent me a text last night saying "the [expletive] skyscraper is singing again".
Which means that this is happening. (That's the Beetham Tower, tallest building in Manchester and certainly the most vocal when the wind picks up.)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14626 on: March 24, 2016, 06:28:58 AM »
A friend who lives back in my hometown of Manchester sent me a text last night saying "the [expletive] skyscraper is singing again".
Which means that this is happening. (That's the Beetham Tower, tallest building in Manchester and certainly the most vocal when the wind picks up.)
That's... interesting unexpected.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14627 on: March 24, 2016, 07:32:13 AM »

Woah. That is so eerie sounding. I love it.
(Although if I lived there it would probably be really obnoxious)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14628 on: March 24, 2016, 07:54:12 AM »

Okay, that is super creepy.
...And seems like it might give one a headache after a while.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14629 on: March 24, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »

It could be worse! That skyscraper in London was melting cars!

(Although I suppose melting cars wouldn't stop you sleeping. Unless it happened to be your car.)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14630 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
I'm told you get used to it after a while. Living in a city tends to do that to you (like how I grew up a mile from a large airport and now sometimes need a background drone such as the clothes drier running downstairs to help me get to sleep).
Also, someone used that sound to remix a song.

It could be worse! That skyscraper in London was melting cars!

(Although I suppose melting cars wouldn't stop you sleeping. Unless it happened to be your car.)
Yeah, I heard about that one. Seems us British can't quite get the hang of skyscraper construction. :))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:34:05 AM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14631 on: March 24, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
That tower noise reminds me of nothing so much as a theremin. Or trance music.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14632 on: March 24, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »
That is very interesting. I do have this CD my dad's wife got of wind harps. Structures that were designed to "sing" in the wind. Most of them need a "very blustery day" to get going. Some only really come alive in a full gale or hurricane!
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14633 on: March 24, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »

Wow, that would annoy the heck out of me.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14634 on: March 24, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
Whoa. That's pretty trippy!
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14635 on: March 24, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »
It gets better! My friend just linked me to these: two twitter accounts the owners of the Beetham Tower set up, Angry Beetham and Happy Beetham, which they update whenever the thing starts sounding off. (or at least that was the plan, by the looks of it 'Angry Beetham' has taken on a life of its own)
I write a bit on AO3

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #14636 on: March 24, 2016, 10:59:20 AM »
It gets better! My friend just linked me to these: two twitter accounts the owners of the Beetham Tower set up, Angry Beetham and Happy Beetham, which they update whenever the thing starts sounding off. (or at least that was the plan, by the looks of it 'Angry Beetham' has taken on a life of its own)

These are both beautiful XD
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14637 on: March 24, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »

Somewhere someone is offering a sacrifice of yorkshires to appease their angry highrise overlord. It is known.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #14638 on: March 24, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
WE HAVE ACHIEVED BLIZZARD

(yes that sign is advertizing the annual poutine festival)

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14639 on: March 24, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
WE HAVE ACHIEVED BLIZZARD

(yes that sign is advertizing the annual poutine festival)

That's almost Y-90 levels of desolate.  Where IS everyone?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: