Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387724 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14610 on: March 23, 2016, 06:10:34 AM »
the UK doesn't really have anything particularly dangerous

You have fish n' chips and sausage rolls, and that's prettyyyy dangerous.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14611 on: March 23, 2016, 09:24:08 AM »

But oh-so-tasty.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14612 on: March 23, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »

Fish n' chips - dangerous? Humph, after I run them through my blender with a beer they're as tame as it gets. Sausage rolls, can't say as I'm familiar with them. The Brits also have Sticky Toffee Pudding which will do a number on your fillings if you're not careful, but oh so delightful to the taste buds ;D
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14613 on: March 23, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »

Sausage Rolls are insanely dangerous! Observe the madness they inspire!

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14614 on: March 23, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »
It's a sunny day and now I realize something I didn't know before: this shop becomes a sauna when the weather's warm and the sun shines in all day long.

On another note there was just a small car crash of sorts right outside of the shop (looks like a rear-ending) so, er, free entertainment? Nothing serious, no one's hurt but there's sure a lot of dramatic discussing going on, and because this is a small town it's gathering quite an audience of curious passers-by and me.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14615 on: March 23, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »
Sausage rolls are only dangerous if you don't kill them properly before eating them. Personally I'd submit that the most dangerous things in the British Isles right now are the bloody Tories, but that's a different discussion entirely ::)

On another note there was just a small car crash of sorts right outside of the shop (looks like a rear-ending) so, er, free entertainment? Nothing serious, no one's hurt but there's sure a lot of dramatic discussing going on, and because this is a small town it's gathering quite an audience of curious passers-by and me.
Ah, good old "thank god that wasn't me" syndrome :D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14616 on: March 23, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »
Ah, good old "thank god that wasn't me" syndrome :D

You know what, you're absolutely right. I hate, hate, hate being one side in a collision (so far every one of them has even been my fault so).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14617 on: March 23, 2016, 06:02:10 PM »
Fish n' chips - dangerous?

The ones I occasionally ate at my local chippy were cardiac arrest in a newspaper.

Personally I'd submit that the most dangerous things in the British Isles right now are the bloody Tories, but that's a different discussion entirely ::)

You watch yourself, Gove is a trained killer.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #14618 on: March 23, 2016, 06:21:56 PM »
At least we don't have rabies, which I find terrifying.

Me too! I used to have nightmares about being chased by rabid animals. Of course, I also grew up at a summer camp so I sat through the "don't touch wild animals, they may have rabies" lecture once a week every summer of my young life. So that probably added to my paranoia.

Of course, having survived a couple of decades without having so much as seen an actual rabid animal, I'm starting to think my fears were a little inflated.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14619 on: March 23, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »
Me too! I used to have nightmares about being chased by rabid animals. Of course, I also grew up at a summer camp so I sat through the "don't touch wild animals, they may have rabies" lecture once a week every summer of my young life. So that probably added to my paranoia.

Of course, having survived a couple of decades without having so much as seen an actual rabid animal, I'm starting to think my fears were a little inflated.

I saw one once, a raccoon wandering around outside during the day. Fortunately we all knew better than to get anywhere near it, thanks to all those warnings.

Honestly, I'm still terrified of rabies, not least because of the nasty things I've heard about how painful it is to treat it. You're in for an excruciating experience whether you die of it or not. :-\
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14620 on: March 23, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »

On the subject of childhood animal fears:

I was chased by a big mean turkey at a petting Zoo once. I was - like - 5 or 6, and that thing was big and mean, feathers spread wide and I wouldn't be surprised if some punk kid dressed similarly to how I was had just aggravated the bird earlier that day. Fortunately, Mom and Dad were big and hiding behind them made said Turkey rapidly lose interest in chasing me, but man... it's pretty friggin hilarious to think about now! XD

Anyways, that's all I have to contribute to the present conversation, I'm afraid. I was going to actually pop on and ask if anyone is experiencing weird weather where they live, because I'm from Kansas, right smack in the middle of the USA, and... yeah. This is slightly unusual for where I live. SLIGHTLY.
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #14621 on: March 23, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
I saw one once, a raccoon wandering around outside during the day. Fortunately we all knew better than to get anywhere near it, thanks to all those warnings.

Honestly, I'm still terrified of rabies, not least because of the nasty things I've heard about how painful it is to treat it. You're in for an excruciating experience whether you die of it or not. :-\

Oof, yeah, I've heard the treatment for it is no fun. When I lived in Ecuador for a year in college we had to get a series of three "preventative" rabies shots in case we got bit by something...we were told they would basically just give us a little extra time to get to the hospital (which was an hour away) so I can't imagine how intense the actual treatment would have been. Luckily I didn't have to find out.

On the subject of childhood animal fears:

I was chased by a big mean turkey at a petting Zoo once. I was - like - 5 or 6, and that thing was big and mean, feathers spread wide and I wouldn't be surprised if some punk kid dressed similarly to how I was had just aggravated the bird earlier that day. Fortunately, Mom and Dad were big and hiding behind them made said Turkey rapidly lose interest in chasing me, but man... it's pretty friggin hilarious to think about now! XD

Anyways, that's all I have to contribute to the present conversation, I'm afraid. I was going to actually pop on and ask if anyone is experiencing weird weather where they live, because I'm from Kansas, right smack in the middle of the USA, and... yeah. This is slightly unusual for where I live. SLIGHTLY.

Haha, aww...I imagine a turkey could be very scary to someone that small. Also that weather is CRAZY! We aren't having anything like that, but I did think it was strange to be reading facebook posts by some of my extended family in Colorado about dangerous driving conditions when it was 70 F and sunny here today.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14622 on: March 23, 2016, 10:40:28 PM »
Oof, yeah, I've heard the treatment for it is no fun. When I lived in Ecuador for a year in college we had to get a series of three "preventative" rabies shots in case we got bit by something...we were told they would basically just give us a little extra time to get to the hospital (which was an hour away) so I can't imagine how intense the actual treatment would have been. Luckily I didn't have to find out.

Honestly I've been trying to find out forever why rabies shots, particularly the older ones that involved a couple dozen jabs right in the stomach, had to be so insanely excruciating, why they couldn't just give you a normal shot, and I have. Had. No. Luck. Whatsoever. Seriously, why does this information seem to be hidden under lock and key? Was the guy who invented the thing just an evil sadist, what? If anybody knows this, please tell me, it's been driving me crazy!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #14623 on: March 23, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
Always better to have it and not need it than the other way around!

Honestly I've been trying to find out forever why rabies shots, particularly the older ones that involved a couple dozen jabs right in the stomach, had to be so insanely excruciating, why they couldn't just give you a normal shot, and I have. Had. No. Luck. Whatsoever. Seriously, why does this information seem to be hidden under lock and key? Was the guy who invented the thing just an evil sadist, what? If anybody knows this, please tell me, it's been driving me crazy!
That or (*pops on tinfoil hat*) the government knows something deep, dark, and secret about the side-effects of such shots. I hear rumors... rumors that it's been stored on a freighter bound for Europe... rumors that the shot had a nasty side-effect. Something about a horrible rash........
Haha, aww...I imagine a turkey could be very scary to someone that small.
You'd be right. It was as bad as Godzilla to a little tyke!
Also that weather is CRAZY! We aren't having anything like that, but I did think it was strange to be reading facebook posts by some of my extended family in Colorado about dangerous driving conditions when it was 70 F and sunny here today.
It is sooooo strange! I mean, yeah, Kansas has bipolar weather, but this is literally over the top nuts! I always find it fascinating how unpredictable weather can be at times, and how odd it can look with the stark contrast in temps and precipitation, wind chill, etc. between two nearby regions.
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #14624 on: March 24, 2016, 01:15:37 AM »
Was the guy who invented the thing just an evil sadist, what? If anybody knows this, please tell me, it's been driving me crazy!
Look up Pasteur and Joseph Meister. It's a tear-dripping story. As for ordinary shots, I have no idea? All dogs are vaccinated in norway, and it didn't seem painful to our dog.