Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387857 times)

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14595 on: March 22, 2016, 04:13:33 PM »
Place your bets, everyone. Ghost, zombie, or other?

I almost never look in this thread, but apparently I am missing the best conversations. O_O Róisín, I'm even more convinced than ever that you're some kind of magical creature. ;)

*looks left*
*looks right*
*whispers* Radioactive snake bite
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14596 on: March 22, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »
A Sydney Funnelweb, on the other hand, is seriously deadly, and will actually chase you. I've always managed to avoid those!

I've heard they were bad but I didn't know they were that bad. I've also heard - from a friend who lived in Australia for a while, but who also likes to spin the odd tall tale - that back when they were researching an antivenom for the them the government would actually pay for any funnelwebs that members of the public brought in. So in the early 80s you could see little gangs of kids roaming around with a jar and a stick, catching these funnelwebs and turning them in to the researchers for some spending money.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #14597 on: March 22, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »
Is there such as thing as a Grade D cat? :)
Defective? too Domesticated? Deserter? Dead? ;)

I'll never understand how people choose to live in Australia.
Still beats choosing to die even there, I guess. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #14598 on: March 22, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
Defective? too Domesticated? Deserter? Dead? ;)

Grade D for Derp!

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14599 on: March 22, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »
Grade D for Derp!

How can a cat possibly be more derp than ^ this? It must be a terrifying sight to behold :0

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14600 on: March 22, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
How can a cat possibly be more derp than ^ this? It must be a terrifying sight to behold :0
It'ld be deadly derpy, I guess.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14601 on: March 22, 2016, 06:44:56 PM »
I know as recently as last year the Australian Reptile Park was appealing to members of the public to capture rather than kill funnelwebs, especially on Sydney's North Shore where they are common, because the Reptile Park staff milk the spiders for the venom so the CSIRO can make antivenene, and they were running short. I can't do links, but since it was in newspapers at the time it shouldn't be hard to find. And you might find interesting any of the books by one of my old CSIRO bosses, Selwyn Everist, who was an expert on Australian poisons. Lovely man.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but as to why we're here, my father settled in Australia after WW2. He had suffered horrors during the war, had been in a hospital here after being a prisoner of war reclaimed from the Japanese, and decided it was the safest place left on the planet to raise children. Which socioeconomically, at the time, it certainly was, though a lot of the freedoms have disappeared since, as global culture becomes more homogenised. He figured the wildlife was less of a hazard than wars and politics elsewhere. My grandmother came out here to care for him, and other family members came too. A couple of branches of the family had been here since the early 1800s anyway, and some of us intermarried with some of them, and here we are. For myself, I'm here because the land answers me.

And as for grade D cats, how about 'disoriented and distractable'?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14602 on: March 22, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
I'll never understand how people choose to live in Australia.

Some brilliant politicians asked themselves the same question and realised it would make a decent penal colony.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14603 on: March 22, 2016, 11:12:58 PM »
*looks left*
*looks right*
*whispers* Radioactive snake bite

Róisín-snake
Róisín-snake
Does whatever she wants to make
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14604 on: March 22, 2016, 11:16:36 PM »
Róisín-snake
Róisín-snake
Does whatever she wants to make

Can she make?
yes she can
gardening is her specialty
watch out- here comes the Róisín-snake!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14605 on: March 22, 2016, 11:42:08 PM »
I would like to point out that not all parts of Australia are as bad as others. Here on the west coast we don't have the funnelwebs for instance. I mean we still have the redbacks, and the dugites, and the death adders, and the brown snakes, and the taipans, and the tiger snakes, and the scorpions, and the sharks, and the Portuguese men of war, and the blue ringed octopodes and the crocodiles, and the box jellyfishes, and the stonefishes, and the wasps, and the centipedes, and the sea snakes, and the irukandji, but definitely no funnelwebs.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14606 on: March 23, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
Here on the US west coast we have ... ... ... maybe a brown recluse spider? And sometimes black widows show up in grapes or whatever. And uh you probably shouldn't let that raccoon bite you. Oh right there are bears and cougar and stuff but they just kinda chill away from people.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14607 on: March 23, 2016, 02:22:24 AM »
Wyrm: You forgot cone shells and stinging seaweeds. WA also has a desert funnelweb, which I have met, but it is very rare and so far as I know only found in the deep desert. (We found it out between Warburton and Giles.)  It was also, I think, in a Perth newspaper that I read about something that some office workers found while moving a filing cabinet in their inner-city office. Behind the filing cabinet was the large, complex web of a big old female redback. Suspended in the web, dead from a redback bite, was a juvenile dugite. At least that was unusual enough to make the papers!

Noodly: Yeah, every country has its own hazards. Your black widow, our redback, and the New Zealand katipo are very closely related, to the point that they were originally thought to be one species. Bears and cougars can be scary, but as you say will often try to avoid you. At least we don't have rabies, which I find terrifying.

Yuuago and all: RÓISÍN carefully inspects battered old body. Decides it probably isn't radioactive. I'm sure I'd *know* if I'd had an origin.....wouldn't I?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14608 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:04 AM »
Wyrm: You forgot cone shells and stinging seaweeds. WA also has a desert funnelweb, which I have met, but it is very rare and so far as I know only found in the deep desert. (We found it out between Warburton and Giles.)  It was also, I think, in a Perth newspaper that I read about something that some office workers found while moving a filing cabinet in their inner-city office. Behind the filing cabinet was the large, complex web of a big old female redback. Suspended in the web, dead from a redback bite, was a juvenile dugite. At least that was unusual enough to make the papers!

Desert funnelweb! Well I never! I think King Colin's been keeping that one quiet :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14609 on: March 23, 2016, 05:45:01 AM »
Yeah, the UK doesn't really have anything particularly dangerous (other than humans of course, but there's pretty much nowhere left on earth you can escape those  :P ), but it does have it's moments of being cool every now and again. Recently for example, the Natural Environment Research Council decided to ask the British public what to name their fancy new Antarctic research ship, and this was the result.......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/boaty-mcboatface-could-be-the-name-of-200m-research-vessel-after-public-vote-a6942551.html
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

Roleplay doc