Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409676 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14580 on: March 21, 2016, 10:17:28 PM »
I dunno. Those weird New York gourmets will eat anything. It's probably Paleo Diet or something.

Nonsense.  Paleo Diet rats are consumed as carpaccio
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14581 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »
Urbicande: Heh. I sit corrected.

TicTac: sounds like the Adelaide Hills or the Barossa. A few years back, when we lived in the Hills, my husband had an interesting encounter. He is a city man, and until getting involved with me had only ever been in the bush for hiking, camping or astronomy, not actually lived on a farm or in a small town. So one hot Saturday afternoon he decided to walk down to the general store for ice cream. He had stepped into the doorway of the shop before he realised that he had actually stepped over a big red-bellied black snake. It was taking its ease on the doormat. He was more than somewhat alarmed, but the shopkeeper was like : 'Oh, yeah, she does that on hot days. Don't worry about her, mate. Just don't step on her'.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14582 on: March 22, 2016, 05:15:39 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaand I just rescued a mouse.

The fun never ends.
They're invading your house ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14583 on: March 22, 2016, 05:21:37 AM »

The fun never ends.

You're not a chef by chance?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:27:06 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #14584 on: March 22, 2016, 05:24:40 AM »
Hrollo you should be happy, the mice appreciate your warm and lovely house!... And the predators in there.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14585 on: March 22, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »

The fun never ends.

Yiiiikes.
Any idea how they're getting in?
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14586 on: March 22, 2016, 08:30:29 AM »
Yiiiikes.
Any idea how they're getting in?

Probably through the special door marked "mice only"

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #14587 on: March 22, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
No no, it's the cats who bring them in to play with.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14588 on: March 22, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
TicTac: sounds like the Adelaide Hills or the Barossa. A few years back, when we lived in the Hills, my husband had an interesting encounter. He is a city man, and until getting involved with me had only ever been in the bush for hiking, camping or astronomy, not actually lived on a farm or in a small town. So one hot Saturday afternoon he decided to walk down to the general store for ice cream. He had stepped into the doorway of the shop before he realised that he had actually stepped over a big red-bellied black snake. It was taking its ease on the doormat. He was more than somewhat alarmed, but the shopkeeper was like : 'Oh, yeah, she does that on hot days. Don't worry about her, mate. Just don't step on her'.

I think the only thing that surprises me more about Australia than the number of venomous animals there, is how few people are actually killed by them!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

« Reply #14589 on: March 22, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
Most of the people who do get killed by them are unlucky (spider falls onto you from the shed roof, the snake you surprise has just finished moulting, can't see you properly and is scared and angry so strikes just in case, or the scorpion or centipede decides your bed is a wonderful place to sleep just before you get in). And of course there are the others who are careless or think it could never happen to them, like the ones who get taken by a croc right under the 'No Swimming - Crocodiles' sign, or ditto for sharks or stinger jellyfish, or the ones who step over a log or put their hand into a dark hole without looking, or tease a snake or a funnelweb until it bites them, or forget to shake out their boots before putting them on..... Some people are really silly like that.

The few times I've been bitten by venomous spiders, one fell on me from the shed roof, one was in the collar of a shirt I put on straight from the clothesline, one was in the middle of a plant I was picking in the dark. The first couldn't be helped, the second and third I might have avoided with more care. Snakes: one bit me when I was climbing, reached up to a ledge above my head to pull myself up, and failed to perceive the snake which was sunbathing there. The other was crazy-aggressive and actually attacked me, but only grazed me before I managed to kill it. I hate killing snakes, but in that case I hadn't much choice. But that's two out of thousands of snakes I've seen, and gods know how many I've passed and didn't see.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14590 on: March 22, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »
The few times I've been bitten by venomous spiders, one fell on me from the shed roof, one was in the collar of a shirt I put on straight from the clothesline, one was in the middle of a plant I was picking in the dark. The first couldn't be helped, the second and third I might have avoided with more care. Snakes: one bit me when I was climbing, reached up to a ledge above my head to pull myself up, and failed to perceive the snake which was sunbathing there. The other was crazy-aggressive and actually attacked me, but only grazed me before I managed to kill it. I hate killing snakes, but in that case I hadn't much choice. But that's two out of thousands of snakes I've seen, and gods know how many I've passed and didn't see.

I can't help but notice that you're not actually dead from these.

Unless there's something you're not telling us?

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14591 on: March 22, 2016, 12:12:12 PM »
I can't help but notice that you're not actually dead from these.

Unless there's something you're not telling us?

Place your bets, everyone. Ghost, zombie, or other?
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

« Reply #14592 on: March 22, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
Nah, none of the above. Old, tough, and lucky. And I'm sure that were I a ghost or a zombie my bones would ache less! Mind you, I was pretty sick with all of them, and nearly died from the mulga brown (the sunbathing snake). Several of the spiders, too, have a worse reputation than their death count justifies. Redbacks, for instance, terrify people, but while they are certainly venomous, and a bite may make you wish you were dead, they actually don't often kill. They're also quite non-aggressive. A Sydney Funnelweb, on the other hand, is seriously deadly, and will actually chase you. I've always managed to avoid those!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #14593 on: March 22, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
Nah, none of the above. Old, tough, and lucky. And I'm sure that were I a ghost or a zombie my bones would ache less! Mind you, I was pretty sick with all of them, and nearly died from the mulga brown (the sunbathing snake). Several of the spiders, too, have a worse reputation than their death count justifies. Redbacks, for instance, terrify people, but while they are certainly venomous, and a bite may make you wish you were dead, they actually don't often kill. They're also quite non-aggressive. A Sydney Funnelweb, on the other hand, is seriously deadly, and will actually chase you. I've always managed to avoid those!

I'll never understand how people choose to live in Australia.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #14594 on: March 22, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »
I almost never look in this thread, but apparently I am missing the best conversations. O_O Róisín, I'm even more convinced than ever that you're some kind of magical creature. ;)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: