Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387487 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14565 on: March 19, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »
Well, you're awesome, so WE knew you'd win

Truer words have never been said. Great job, Róisín!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14566 on: March 20, 2016, 12:28:48 AM »
Thanks to you both!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14567 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
Okay, procrastination. It had to stop now.

Edit : Mélusine 1 - Procrastination 0.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:48:45 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14568 on: March 20, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »
Okay, procrastination. It had to stop now.

Edit : Mélusine 1 - Procrastination 0.

Go you!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #14569 on: March 21, 2016, 08:20:36 AM »
So, I'm awaken in the middle of the night by loud repeated squeeking coming from the living room.

I'm like "urgh, cats brought a shrew again". Can't ignore it, too noisy — it retrospect it didn't really sound like the usual squeeks of a shrew (yes, this is a common enough occurence that I can tell), but I was half-awake so I didn't pay attention.

So I guess it's time to initiate "rescue & release" procedure, at 5 am, thanks cats.

I go to the living room, and then, a unusual sight: all three cats are assembled around a bookshelf, carefully watching it. That's weird, they're used to shrews, generally it doesn't generate that much interest from all three cats simultaneously.

So I look under the bookshelf.

"It's a rat."

"Gosh hecking darn it cats!"

Ok so whatever, it's just a mouse-of-unusual-size, procedure is the same. I get salad bowl, piece of newspaper, probing stick, and prepare to initiate capture. Just as I kneel before the bookshelf however, the rat decides to burst out. Ends up chased all across the living room by the three cats, living football style, and eventually finishes stranded at the base of a flight of stair leading to the cellar [a surprisingly common place for rodents and other tiny furry beasts to get stranded, many alive and dead were found in this this place in the past].

Ok, so that actually makes my work easier. I manage to put the salad bowl over the rat, then the newspaper under. Except the rat is too heavy, and whenever I trick to pick the whole thing up, it weighs down on the paper and slips out, not good.

So after a bit of thinking, I get a tray from the kitchen. I put the tray next to the rat, manage to probe it to go on the tray, put the salad bowl on and then FINALLY I can carry it outside and release it safely [and then do some clean up because that rat sure wasn't house-trained].

Gosh hecking darn it, cats.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:24:10 AM by Rollo »
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14570 on: March 21, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
Your cats don't seem to be ready for the Rash, Rollo... or in a special way.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14571 on: March 21, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
So, I'm awaken in the middle of the night by loud repeated squeeking coming from the living room.

I'm like "urgh, cats brought a shrew again". Can't ignore it, too noisy — it retrospect it didn't really sound like the usual squeeks of a shrew (yes, this is a common enough occurence that I can tell), but I was half-awake so I didn't pay attention.

So I guess it's time to initiate "rescue & release" procedure, at 5 am, thanks cats.

I go to the living room, and then, a unusual sight: all three cats are assembled around a bookshelf, carefully watching it. That's weird, they're used to shrews, generally it doesn't generate that much interest from all three cats simultaneously.

So I look under the bookshelf.

"It's a rat."

"Gosh hecking darn it cats!"

Ok so whatever, it's just a mouse-of-unusual-size, procedure is the same. I get salad bowl, piece of newspaper, probing stick, and prepare to initiate capture. Just as I kneel before the bookshelf however, the rat decides to burst out. Ends up chased all across the living room by the three cats, living football style, and eventually finishes stranded at the base of a flight of stair leading to the cellar [a surprisingly common place for rodents and other tiny furry beasts to get stranded, many alive and dead were found in this this place in the past].

Ok, so that actually makes my work easier. I manage to put the salad bowl over the rat, then the newspaper under. Except the rat is too heavy, and whenever I trick to pick the whole thing up, it weighs down on the paper and slips out, not good.

So after a bit of thinking, I get a tray from the kitchen. I put the tray next to the rat, manage to probe it to go on the tray, put the salad bowl on and then FINALLY I can carry it outside and release it safely [and then do some clean up because that rat sure wasn't house-trained].

Gosh hecking darn it, cats.

I guess it's better to carry whole rodents out than to have to carry pieces of rodents out.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14572 on: March 21, 2016, 09:45:40 AM »
Your cats don't seem to be ready for the Rash, Rollo... or in a special way.

Is there such as thing as a Grade D cat? :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Iceea

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14573 on: March 21, 2016, 04:23:21 PM »
I guess it's better to carry whole rodents out than to have to carry pieces of rodents out.

I have no fondness for rats and probably would have dispatched said rodent with extreme prejudice. 
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14574 on: March 21, 2016, 04:58:52 PM »
I have no fondness for rats and probably would have dispatched said rodent with extreme prejudice.

Rats are perfectly fine braised in some red wine.

TicTac

• I am a happy little TicTac
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #14575 on: March 21, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
Once at my school, a rat found its way into the schools kitchens while I was having a hospitality lesson. I had the great fortune of being in the station closest to the door, so naturally I saw it first. The following conversation occurred:

Me: Hey there's a rat in here, that's not sanitary.

My partner: What?! *sees rat* There's a rat!

*cue screams*

It got in because we had left the door open, and the rat decided to waltz in. Maybe it smelt the food we were cooking I don't know. But once everyone started freaking out, the rat freaked out, and ending up parkouring its way into a draw full of dishcloths.

Eventually it went out on its own, probably because half of my class was screaming whenever they saw it move, and so the rat left to terrify some other poor class. Actually I have no clue what happened to it, but it was the first time I ever saw a rat up close.

Now that I think about it, I've seen animals infiltrate my schools multiple times. We've had birds in classrooms, that's always fun, and there was that one time I found a red-bellied black snake just outside the library. Good times.
Fluent: :australia:
Know a few phrases: :china:
Know random words: :germany: :spain: (thanks Dora)
Want to learn, eventually: :finland:
Survived :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:

Róisín

« Reply #14576 on: March 21, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »
Depends on age and toughness, and what they have been eating. And how well they are cooked.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14577 on: March 21, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
Rats are perfectly fine braised in some red wine.

People who resort to eating rats generally don't have access to red wine I reckon.

Róisín

« Reply #14578 on: March 21, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »
I dunno. Those weird New York gourmets will eat anything. It's probably Paleo Diet or something.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #14579 on: March 21, 2016, 09:46:49 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand I just rescued a mouse.

The fun never ends.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro: