Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424847 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14550 on: March 18, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »
That sounds awesome, Róisín! It's a shame you couldn't get the fresh fruits in time, but everything else sounds absolutely delicious (I'm jealous of whoever gets to taste all of it!). Best of luck to you, and give the Country Women's Association a run for their money!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14551 on: March 18, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
Fen Shen: I take it that's some sort of sweet fruit leather in your picture? Good savoury quince paste looks a bit like that, but has little or no sugar (I put a touch of salt and a little honey in mine, and spices such as mace, ginger, and turmeric. Sometimes I add a few rosehips, which I may also do with the sweet variant, or ripe rowan or hawthorn berries to the savoury one. My aunt used to add marjoram, sage and pepper to the type meant to be eaten with meat or cheese. I often put apple paste (especially crabapple) and both kinds of quince paste, on a cheeseboard, or with paté, or put a slice with roast beef or pork, or on a steak or a pork chop. Before I cook the pulped quinces down to paste or fruit leather I hang them up to drip through a muslin bag, then boil down the juice with lemon and sugar to make quince jelly, and bottle it with a few leaves of rose or peppermint-scented geranium.

What variety of quinces do you have? The really perfumey ones, like 'Smyrna' and 'Pineapple' are lovely baked, poached or stewed. Poach them in wine or fruit juice, with a strewing of raisins or cranberries, a little honey, ginger and a vanilla bean. They can also be cooked and bottled, or 'canned' as the Americans say, to keep for winter. You can make quince wine or liqueur, and the local grower of muntries (an Australian native berry) showed me how to make very tasty fruit leather/fruit straps/rollups with leftover quinces, apples and pears cooked down to a paste with muntries, then spread and dried. Since muntries already taste like cinnamon apples, this works well!

You may be amused to know that an old English marriage custom was for the couple to eat a raw quince together. You doubtless know how astringent is a raw quince! If the couple were still speaking to one another after, they were considered likely to be happy together.

Ana: thanks! I'll do my best!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14552 on: March 18, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »
Lunacon starts this evening!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #14553 on: March 18, 2016, 10:36:46 AM »
Róisín, thank you for giving me so many ideas! I never thought about using the quinces with non-sweet ingredients...  ::)
Unfortunately, I don't know which variety we have... they are yellow, heavy and numerous.  ;D

Luckily when I'll marry in summer there'll be no ripe quinces around yet, so I won't have the "chance" to try the old English custom. ;)

Umm, should we maybe switch to the cooking thread?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Róisín

« Reply #14554 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
Urbicande: sounds like fun!

Fen Shen: I should visit the cooking thread. Haven't seriously looked at it yet, keep meaning to. And as for wedding customs, be glad you're not in the Amazon. One of the tribes there tests the devotion of a couple by sewing them both into a hammock for the night, then tossing a nest of leafcutter ants in with them.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14555 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »
Urbicande: sounds like fun!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Small and local, but I have a lot of friends there.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

TicTac

• I am a happy little TicTac
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #14556 on: March 18, 2016, 05:06:56 PM »
Wow it's been a while since I've checked up on the forum. Ever since my school year started up, and I joined the school musical, and choir, annnnddddd show choir (becuase its not like Grade 11 is hard or anything.) I've been so busy.

So naturally I choose the middle of test block to come on. I have wonderful timing.

On the upside, it's nearly the holidays so then I will have lots to time to come on here. ^_^

Another upside of school is that it has kept me so busy, I don't have time to worry about when the next page comes out. Though now it's the weekend, and I'm worrying.
Fluent: :australia:
Know a few phrases: :china:
Know random words: :germany: :spain: (thanks Dora)
Want to learn, eventually: :finland:
Survived :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #14557 on: March 19, 2016, 03:38:20 AM »
Hmm, okay, so yesterday I was waiting for the teacher to come with the writing group. Talking lead to talking and my seniors started discussing "the prisons in the little tower".

Apparently behind an emergency exit there's actually something that students call "the little tower" (la torretta), which doesn't even lead outside. If you go up, it's closed off, but if you go down, there are fascist dungeons. I can't even. I had already been told that the old part of this school had been used as a detention facility during Fascism but wow.

I kind of want to go down and see myself now, but I'm definitely not doing that alone. Pretty sure it's not allowed but that doesn't seem to have stopped people since I was given a rather accurate description.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14558 on: March 19, 2016, 12:17:57 PM »
Hmm, okay, so yesterday I was waiting for the teacher to come with the writing group. Talking lead to talking and my seniors started discussing "the prisons in the little tower".

Apparently behind an emergency exit there's actually something that students call "the little tower" (la torretta), which doesn't even lead outside. If you go up, it's closed off, but if you go down, there are fascist dungeons. I can't even. I had already been told that the old part of this school had been used as a detention facility during Fascism but wow.

I kind of want to go down and see myself now, but I'm definitely not doing that alone. Pretty sure it's not allowed but that doesn't seem to have stopped people since I was given a rather accurate description.

o_o Holy-- Wow.

I'm not about to encourage it (because it's probably not permitted) but if you do go down, bringing someone with you sounds like a very good idea.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #14559 on: March 19, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
Fen Shen: I take it that's some sort of sweet fruit leather in your picture? Good savoury quince paste looks a bit like that, but has little or no sugar (I put a touch of salt and a little honey in mine, and spices such as mace, ginger, and turmeric. Sometimes I add a few rosehips, which I may also do with the sweet variant, or ripe rowan or hawthorn berries to the savoury one. My aunt used to add marjoram, sage and pepper to the type meant to be eaten with meat or cheese. I often put apple paste (especially crabapple) and both kinds of quince paste, on a cheeseboard, or with paté, or put a slice with roast beef or pork, or on a steak or a pork chop. Before I cook the pulped quinces down to paste or fruit leather I hang them up to drip through a muslin bag, then boil down the juice with lemon and sugar to make quince jelly, and bottle it with a few leaves of rose or peppermint-scented geranium.

What variety of quinces do you have? The really perfumey ones, like 'Smyrna' and 'Pineapple' are lovely baked, poached or stewed. Poach them in wine or fruit juice, with a strewing of raisins or cranberries, a little honey, ginger and a vanilla bean. They can also be cooked and bottled, or 'canned' as the Americans say, to keep for winter. You can make quince wine or liqueur, and the local grower of muntries (an Australian native berry) showed me how to make very tasty fruit leather/fruit straps/rollups with leftover quinces, apples and pears cooked down to a paste with muntries, then spread and dried. Since muntries already taste like cinnamon apples, this works well!

You may be amused to know that an old English marriage custom was for the couple to eat a raw quince together. You doubtless know how astringent is a raw quince! If the couple were still speaking to one another after, they were considered likely to be happy together.

Ana: thanks! I'll do my best!
You have no idea how hungry this post made me. Hope the competition is a succes!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #14560 on: March 19, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
You have no idea how hungry this post made me. Hope the competition is a succes!
*psst!* Check her latest LMoH!

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #14561 on: March 19, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
LMoH
L..? (I never understand acronyms. Hm *goes to check latest post instead, turns out to be in "Little moments of Hap..."Oh. Right.) Also, congratulations!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:11:40 PM by Unlos »

Róisín

« Reply #14562 on: March 19, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
Thanks! I was both pleased and surprised to get three prizes, because the competition at the big country agricultural shows is really fierce! Exhibitors come from all over, and it is tremendous fun. I love shows. They have an atmosphere like nothing else - all the farmers and country people getting together for a day of fun and displaying the results of their work after harvest (though here the vintage is still going on, and farm work never really stops). It's as near to a holiday as farmers get. I took some photos of the flower exhibits and some of the animals, and if any of them turn out I'll have another try at posting them? My skill at photography is far from good, and I've never managed to get photos to post here yet. Which is a pity, because I have a couple I'd like to put up in the pictures thread, and one of what I look like.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14563 on: March 19, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
Thanks! I was both pleased and surprised to get three prizes, because the competition at the big country agricultural shows is really fierce! Exhibitors come from all over, and it is tremendous fun. I love shows. They have an atmosphere like nothing else - all the farmers and country people getting together for a day of fun and displaying the results of their work after harvest (though here the vintage is still going on, and farm work never really stops). It's as near to a holiday as farmers get. I took some photos of the flower exhibits and some of the animals, and if any of them turn out I'll have another try at posting them? My skill at photography is far from good, and I've never managed to get photos to post here yet. Which is a pity, because I have a couple I'd like to put up in the pictures thread, and one of what I look like.

Well, you're awesome, so WE knew you'd win

Róisín

« Reply #14564 on: March 19, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
*Blushes*