Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387887 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1440 on: November 14, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Video game sadism is the least bad kind of sadimsm.

On a different note: I was out running and I encountered and old, plump man who was wearing one of those skin tight crossfit compression tights. It surprised me because honestly it looked a bit silly. But then I noticed that every single runner I encountered after that, regardless of age and gender, was wearing the same kind of tights. What is going on? Is this some silly fad I've missed or are those tights actually that amazing? I've seen them in the stores at like 120 USD so it can't be because they are cheap.

Maybe they were all part of some sort of group/ competition/ thing, which for some reason commanded that all participants must wear a certain kind of tights. I can't really comment further on this, because 1) I don't run, 2) I don't live in Europe, and 3) I really hate any type of skin-tight clothing.

Also, it took me all the homophones of "wear" before I actually spelled the word right. :-\

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #1441 on: November 14, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »
On a different note: I was out running and I encountered and old, plump man who was wearing one of those skin tight crossfit compression tights. It surprised me because honestly it looked a bit silly. But then I noticed that every single runner I encountered after that, regardless of age and gender, was wearing the same kind of tights. What is going on? Is this some silly fad I've missed or are those tights actually that amazing? I've seen them in the stores at like 120 USD so it can't be because they are cheap.

Well, they're based on medical compression socks--the ones they make for people who are bedridden or confined to wheelchairs to help keep their blood flowing and prevent blood clots. Good for circulation, so somebody was like "hey, let's make these and market them to athletes." From what I've heard they're supposed to prevent that annoying impact vibration you get through your muscles when your foot hits the ground, in addition to helping circulation and helping you recover faster. Whether it's actually true idek, but that's the idea.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1442 on: November 14, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
Yep, first day of winter's cold finally hit today.  I picked up a package from the post office on campus, and grabbed some Starbucks for the first time in many moons.  I didn't really know what I was ordering, except that it would be cold and chocolatey, and nothing else really matters, honestly.  Unfortunately, holding a chilled drink in your hand on the first day of winter weather is a good way to get really cold hands.  I'm typing at about half speed right now!  :P

Well, they're based on medical compression socks--the ones they make for people who are bedridden or confined to wheelchairs to help keep their blood flowing and prevent blood clots. Good for circulation, so somebody was like "hey, let's make these and market them to athletes." From what I've heard they're supposed to prevent that annoying impact vibration you get through your muscles when your foot hits the ground, in addition to helping circulation and helping you recover faster. Whether it's actually true idek, but that's the idea.
Blood socks turned onesies that act as shock absorbers?  This sounds suspiciously like those magic "balance bracelets" from a few years ago.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1443 on: November 14, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »

Ho? That actually sounds amazing. Maybe if I could get some leggings like that I would stop getting shin splints. If they actually work that is.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1444 on: November 14, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
Yep, first day of winter's cold finally hit today.  I picked up a package from the post office on campus, and grabbed some Starbucks for the first time in many moons.  I didn't really know what I was ordering, except that it would be cold and chocolatey, and nothing else really matters, honestly.  Unfortunately, holding a chilled drink in your hand on the first day of winter weather is a good way to get really cold hands.  I'm typing at about half speed right now!  :P

We just got winter weather here too. The low today is supposed to be below freezing. Weird because it was actually sixty-some degrees on Wednesday. I had to walk several blocks in the cold to class today because I missed the campus shuttle. My teacher let us out early today so I'm just standing in the building's lobby by the radiator until the shuttle comes (in about thirty minutes) because I am NOT walking through the cold again. Especially not while carrying a large and rather heavy portfolio.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1445 on: November 14, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
We just got winter weather here too. The low today is supposed to be below freezing. Weird because it was actually sixty-some degrees on Wednesday. I had to walk several blocks in the cold to class today because I missed the campus shuttle. My teacher let us out early today so I'm just standing in the building's lobby by the radiator until the shuttle comes (in about thirty minutes) because I am NOT walking through the cold again. Especially not while carrying a large and rather heavy portfolio.

I actually had to read twice before understanding that you didn't mean 60 degrees Celsius. On the subject, no cold here yet, nossir. I'm currently under three heavy blankets, but just for the sake of it, it's not cold yet.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1446 on: November 14, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
Blood socks turned onesies that act as shock absorbers?  This sounds suspiciously like those magic "balance bracelets" from a few years ago.

Lulz you may not be far off. From what I understand laboratory studies don't show a lot more benefit than you get from a placebo--but I haven't read those studies myself, and there haven't been any good field studies done that I'm aware of. Sooooo it's sort of up in air.

Ho? That actually sounds amazing. Maybe if I could get some leggings like that I would stop getting shin splints. If they actually work that is.

You won't know until you try them! I know a lot of runners swear by them. You might just need better running shoes though--have you had your gait checked out? Personally my legs are frikkin' weird, which makes for a lot of aches and pains if I run or walk without the right shoes. Even if your stride is only a little weird, it can still cause problems if you run a lot. That's the first thing I'd look into, myself.

I actually had to read twice before understanding that you didn't mean 60 degrees Celsius. On the subject, no cold here yet, nossir. I'm currently under three heavy blankets, but just for the sake of it, it's not cold yet.

*sighs* Yeeeaaaaah, we haven't even gotten under 30°F yet and I'm already breaking out the heated blankets and the thermal underclothes. Curse you, winter!

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1447 on: November 14, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
Hey! Shin splint buddy! *mediocre high-five*

Our weather is still trying to decide if it's chilly rainy spring or roasting summer :/

What were the balance bracelets? Did people actually buy them? D:
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1448 on: November 14, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »

You won't know until you try them! I know a lot of runners swear by them. You might just need better running shoes though--have you had your gait checked out? Personally my legs are frikkin' weird, which makes for a lot of aches and pains if I run or walk without the right shoes. Even if your stride is only a little weird, it can still cause problems if you run a lot. That's the first thing I'd look into, myself.

*sighs* Yeeeaaaaah, we haven't even gotten under 30°F yet and I'm already breaking out the heated blankets and the thermal underclothes. Curse you, winter!

I did get my gait checked once.... I don't remember the details but I think I overpronate with at least one foot. As far as shoes go I just buy a new pair of asics kayanos every year.

And hey! Winter is the best part of the year!

Heck yes shin splint buddies *shin on shin high five*!

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1449 on: November 14, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
I did get my gait checked once.... I don't remember the details but I think I overpronate with at least one foot. As far as shoes go I just buy a new pair of asics kayanos every year.

Heck yes shin splint buddies *shin on shin high five*!

If you got some kind of insole or something to correct that, it would probably go a long way. But then I'm not one to talk, I oversupinate like a mofo and I just throw on my army boots and hate myself later XD

Noooooooooooooo I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, winter is the terrible time of year when we hibernate and wait for the snow to go away. Spring and summer is when we go to the deserts down south and climb around on sandstone and get baked brown in the sun. That's the best time of year.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1450 on: November 14, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »

Definitely. Summer is overrated. ;D

Autumn is a nice compromise, though. Hiking trails aren't covered in ice and I'm not melting in the sun.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1451 on: November 14, 2014, 05:57:18 PM »
If you got some kind of insole or something to correct that, it would probably go a long way. But then I'm not one to talk, I oversupinate like a mofo and I just throw on my army boots and hate myself later XD

Noooooooooooooo I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, winter is the terrible time of year when we hibernate and wait for the snow to go away. Spring and summer is when we go to the deserts down south and climb around on sandstone and get baked brown in the sun. That's the best time of year.

Getting baked in the sun sounds like torture to me, especially in a desert. The sun is cruel and unforgiving.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1452 on: November 14, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »
Getting baked in the sun sounds like torture to me, especially in a desert. The sun is cruel and unforgiving.

Getting caught in the cold is torture to me! I'm a lizard, I soak up heat but don't make much of my own. If I don't dress carefully for it, even the couple minutes it takes to get from the house to the car and get the heat going on a really cold day can leave me tired and drained for hours. Deserts though! Deserts aren't half bad. Carry LOTS of water and have a hat or bandanna, plus something you can take on and off that covers up your arms and legs but isn't too thick. Then just make sure you drink the water constantly, and watch out to make sure you don't get a sunburn. Easy peasy.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1453 on: November 14, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
Our weather is still trying to decide if it's chilly rainy spring or roasting summer :/

What were the balance bracelets? Did people actually buy them? D:
They were advertised on tv, and even professional athletes were wearing them for quite some time.  I think they're still around, but as more of a "Why, yes, I do work out." fashion thing, than a brainwashy, stupid, cash grab.

There's a part of my State that has a huge swath of sand going through it, mixed in with all the regular terrain.  It's about 10 degrees F hotter than everywhere else in summer, and a few colder in winter.  It runs across most of the State, but is only about 5 miles wide.  It's like a desert, but with all the regular dirt, and trees, hills, etc.  My parents' house is in that so, growing up in the desert forest, I prefer autumn and spring over summer and winter.  Plus, my hands lose heat really quickly, even just a couple degrees below room temperature.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1454 on: November 14, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »
 I guess upbringing helps accustom one to a range of climates. The thing is I cannot sleep comfortably if the night temperature approaches 20 degrees. That's what I hate about vacationing in the south. Apparently Southern Europeans appreciate the sensation of being boiled alive when they go to bed.