Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387696 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14340 on: March 05, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
I can look into this one too. The wizard they hired was likeliest a Sami though, as back when the sagas were written Sami people were called Finns.

They still are occasionally, but they find it derogatory.
But yeah, it's not without reason that the northernmost province of Norway where most of the Sami live is called Finnmark.

This happened in The Odyssey as well. Maybe it's one of those myths that just pops up all over the world?

I imagine Onni feels a lot like Odysseus.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14341 on: March 05, 2016, 05:51:24 PM »
Sooo I was at a crosswalk waiting for the light to change, minding my own business. Car came up to the intersection, also waiting for a light-change. Passenger window was down.

I heard a woof and suddenly this big fat golden retriever jumped out of the car window, came over and sniffed me (while its owner was, of course, inside the car and totally freaking out), and then ran back to the car and jumped back in through the window.

I'm still kind of digesting this experience. o_O Oddest thing that happened to me all week.

tl;dr: Please leave the windows up if you're driving with animals in your car, thanks. :V This could have ended REALLY BADLY.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #14342 on: March 06, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
I heard a woof and suddenly this big fat golden retriever jumped out of the car window, came over and sniffed me (while its owner was, of course, inside the car and totally freaking out), and then ran back to the car and jumped back in through the window.

Aargh. Kind of thing that would be absolutely adorable in a movie, but IRL terrifying that it was allowed to happen!
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

IKEA

« Reply #14343 on: March 07, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »
TIL: SSSS reads SO FREAKING MUCH BETTER on a desktop than on mobile. The pictures were more detailed, pages loaded ten times faster and I didn't have to keep zooming to see everything. My life has been changed for the better.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14344 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:05 AM »
TIL: SSSS reads SO FREAKING MUCH BETTER on a desktop than on mobile. The pictures were more detailed, pages loaded ten times faster and I didn't have to keep zooming to see everything. My life has been changed for the better.

Oh, yes.  I usually read each page twice.  The first time on my mobile as I'm in bed and I know there's an update, and then the second time in the morning on my laptop because it's so much more gorgeous that way.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #14345 on: March 08, 2016, 02:31:40 AM »
Wooow, there are people who read SSSS on mobile?! ???
I don't even think of viewing it on such tiny screen...
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14346 on: March 08, 2016, 04:38:17 AM »
Oh, yes.  I usually read each page twice.  The first time on my mobile as I'm in bed and I know there's an update, and then the second time in the morning on my laptop because it's so much more gorgeous that way.
Same here. The current lack of morning updates is doing terrible things to my routine :D

Well, when my phone's right next to my head and my laptop's up to three whole feet away from me, there's only one course of action...
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14347 on: March 08, 2016, 07:42:28 AM »
Mobile? Oh man. But that's so TEENY TINY. Sometimes I end up having to page through it for quick canon review when ficcing in weird places, but that's of course not the same thing, I can't imagine reading pages for the first time on something so small....

Buuuut if it's due to not wanting to move three feet, that I understand. ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14348 on: March 08, 2016, 08:20:21 AM »
Same here. The current lack of morning updates is doing terrible things to my routine :D

I know that feeling. Though on the plus side, I've actually been managing to get some ficcing done in the morning.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #14349 on: March 08, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »
Mobile? Oh man. But that's so TEENY TINY. Sometimes I end up having to page through it for quick canon review when ficcing in weird places, but that's of course not the same thing, I can't imagine reading pages for the first time on something so small....

Buuuut if it's due to not wanting to move three feet, that I understand. ;p

The primary concern is finding out if anyone died today :P

Drooling on the art is a secondary concern and can be done after getting out of bed, or home from work, or off the train...
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14350 on: March 08, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »
The primary concern is finding out if anyone died today :P

Drooling on the art is a secondary concern and can be done after getting out of bed, or home from work, or off the train...

Nooo, nobody's going to die! Okay, maybe some trolls...  :P

My phone is an old one, it takes ages to download a page, so I only check the comic on it in case of emergency.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14351 on: March 08, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »

The luxury of US timezones - not having to continuously check for updates.

Well, when my phone's right next to my head and my laptop's up to three whole feet away from me, there's only one course of action...

I flat out refuse to read it on anything smaller than a pc monitor, even if there's no pc in the vicinity.

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #14352 on: March 08, 2016, 09:16:59 AM »
*glances at her tiny old-fashioned phone*

Nah, not even going to try. If I'm e.g. in transit and I check twitter and see that Minna announced an update, it's "NRRRRRRRGHL TRAIN GO FASTERRRR" until I'm at a place/home where I can open my laptop :P
Worst moment to see this? Right after leaving your house and knowing it'll take you hours until the next place where you have wi-fi.
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14353 on: March 08, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »
Well, I've found after many years that any phone screen can be large enough if you hold it close enough to your face... ;D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #14354 on: March 08, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »
Well, I've found after many years that any phone screen can be large enough if you hold it close enough to your face... ;D

Even a 3.7 x 5 cm sized phone screen? ;)
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: