Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424320 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14355 on: March 08, 2016, 09:47:51 AM »
Even a 3.7 x 5 cm sized phone screen? ;)

Ooof, I take it your phone's quite a bit older than mine then! My phone's dimensions are about twice that, which is why I'm perplexed some people refuse to read the comic on a phone - if you ask me, I'd say some phones were plenty big enough.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #14356 on: March 08, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »
Heh. Private cell phone is not a "smart" one in the first place, company cell phone means scrolling over 16ths or so of the comic page and the page comment (i.e., Disqus is unsupported on that browser), and the laptop usually stays at the workplace when I retreat to the hotel. I call it the SSSSisu package. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #14357 on: March 08, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
Yeah, if I had the possibility to read it on a bigger phone screen while on the go and without a laptop, I'd do it. Hell, I'd read the page on a screen of your size :'D There's a reason for the zoom function (but yeah, my model's kinda old even though the phone itself isn't that old)
(to appreciate the art: the bigger the better ofc!)

*pats JoB and lends notebook to enjoy the comic while in the hotel*
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14358 on: March 08, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
So. I think today is the first time I used a word in English instead of the correct word in French, while wanting to speak French. Something is happening...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14359 on: March 08, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
The luxury of US timezones - not having to continuously check for updates.

I guess. I mean, I'm only in one timezone at any given time!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14360 on: March 08, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
I guess. I mean, I'm only in one timezone at any given time!

... what?

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #14361 on: March 08, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
So. I think today is the first time I used a word in English instead of the correct word in French, while wanting to speak French. Something is happening...

Aaa I'm not the only one! The part of my thoughts that is in words in the first place has been a jumble of all my languages for a long time, but between speaking English online all the time, speaking English with my girlfriend and reading a bunch of English coursebooks lately, I've noticed I'm starting to slip into English even in thought spheres previously reserved for Finnish, like thinking about my family... Let's see how long until it spills out of my head and into speech :')
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Mélusine

« Reply #14362 on: March 08, 2016, 12:55:32 PM »
Aaa I'm not the only one! The part of my thoughts that is in words in the first place has been a jumble of all my languages for a long time, but between speaking English online all the time, speaking English with my girlfriend and reading a bunch of English coursebooks lately, I've noticed I'm starting to slip into English even in thought spheres previously reserved for Finnish, like thinking about my family... Let's see how long until it spills out of my head and into speech :')
*Pats pats Rabbit and feels less alone*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #14363 on: March 08, 2016, 01:17:14 PM »
*Pats pats Rabbit and feels less alone*

The one that makes me feel most* foolish is when I've been reading (aloud, in class) a lot of dead languages and those start sneaking into my modern ones. So an Old Norse irregular verb form nudges into my Faroese, and Middle English wends its way into my English - there are one or two English songs that more usually get stuck in my head as (pseudo)middle english than their real lyrics >-<

*Or second-most, tied with when I cross huge language families like Finnish and Japanese words getting into my Spanish.
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14364 on: March 08, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
The one that makes me feel most* foolish is when I've been reading (aloud, in class) a lot of dead languages and those start sneaking into my modern ones. So an Old Norse irregular verb form nudges into my Faroese, and Middle English wends its way into my English - there are one or two English songs that more usually get stuck in my head as (pseudo)middle english than their real lyrics >-<

*Or second-most, tied with when I cross huge language families like Finnish and Japanese words getting into my Spanish.

Oooohh! Someone who knows faroese! I was always curious to know if I could have a conversation with someone who speaks faroese.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14365 on: March 08, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
I was always curious to know if I could have a conversation with someone who speaks faroese.

I can do that.

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #14366 on: March 08, 2016, 02:41:31 PM »

Oooohh! Someone who knows faroese! I was always curious to know if I could have a conversation with someone who speaks faroese.

Aww, I wish I could say I speak it conversationally, but it's been a couple years since I've been in a room with anyone who knows more of it than I do rather than less of it or none, and... I really really want to work more on it to develop something approaching fluency and confidence (if only I would quit being busy most of the time and then tired the rest of the time). (Also, I believe my Faroese comes out with a heavy Spanish accent, surely that can't help anything in conversation.)

From my experience/memory though, many Icelandic speakers tend to not get it right away, but give them a week in a classroom to learn the sound correspondences and then they're waaaaaay ahead of the rest of us. Mainland-scandi speakers most do not seem able to understand it, unless they study languages, but I was pleasantly shocked when the first Danish-language conversation of my life (in the airport, consisting entirely of numbers/prices) was intelligible to me due to my Faroese study, so maybe the numbers are intelligible to Danish the other way around too :D
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14367 on: March 08, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
Aww, I wish I could say I speak it conversationally, but it's been a couple years since I've been in a room with anyone who knows more of it than I do rather than less of it or none, and... I really really want to work more on it to develop something approaching fluency and confidence (if only I would quit being busy most of the time and then tired the rest of the time). (Also, I believe my Faroese comes out with a heavy Spanish accent, surely that can't help anything in conversation.)

From my experience/memory though, many Icelandic speakers tend to not get it right away, but give them a week in a classroom to learn the sound correspondences and then they're waaaaaay ahead of the rest of us. Mainland-scandi speakers most do not seem able to understand it, unless they study languages, but I was pleasantly shocked when the first Danish-language conversation of my life (in the airport, consisting entirely of numbers/prices) was intelligible to me due to my Faroese study, so maybe the numbers are intelligible to Danish the other way around too :D

Ahahaha danish numbers XD
If it weren't for my difficulty with danish numbers I would never have found this comic actually, but that's another story.

I can read a lot of faroese, I've just never really had the opportunity to encounter any speakers. It's kind of a rare language to come across outside of the Faroe Islands. As for my danish, I speak a weird icelandic danish, as I learned a lot of it from icelanders and I can't do that one sound that occurs in some words very well :P

I can do that.

Converse with people who speak faroese or speak faroese?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14368 on: March 08, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »
Converse with people who speak faroese or speak faroese?

The first option.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14369 on: March 08, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race