Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410485 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14295 on: March 03, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »
The imaginary map of Budapest in my head is marked with "favourite yarn shop" "second favourite yarn shop" "emergency yarn shop" "best pens and markers" "watercolour supply" "good drawing blocks here" "stuff for handmade jewelry" and so on...  ::)
*Has landmarks like that too* ::) "Favorite library", "quiet café", "best place to buy little gifts", "where to find good postcards", "best japanese restaurant", "shop which propose my favorite yarn" ...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:54:29 AM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14296 on: March 03, 2016, 09:59:17 AM »
*Has landmarks like that too* ::) "Favorite library", "quiet café", "best place to buy little gifts", "where to find good postcards", "best japanese restaurant", "shop which propose my favorite yarn" ...

I was just thinking about my mental map and realized it sounds so university student: place where textbooks are bought/sold, restaurant with cheap food, place where I have class, place where I work, place with yummy tea and candies, place that has food at 1am, place that has printers at 1am.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14297 on: March 03, 2016, 10:02:03 AM »
I was just thinking about my mental map and realized it sounds so university student: place where textbooks are bought/sold, restaurant with cheap food, place where I have class, place where I work, place with yummy tea and candies, place that has food at 1am, place that has printers at 1am.

Yyyeeeeep, sounds very University Student. ;p But then again, you are a university student.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14298 on: March 03, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
I feel so bad for all the electronic store employee's that had to deal with a melodramatic whiny haiz today. I'm practically going full performance about "MY DEAR DARLING XPERIA MINI PRO THAT LEFT THiS WORLD RECENTLY,," (with full on swooning pose) and how terrible and excluding modern smartphone culture is when all your choices are either a giant screen brick that will fit no pocket, or a doro phone meant for old people, and society as a whole is revolving around apps these days. the employees have been very nice and patient with me and don't deserve such treatment and i'm very grateful for their advice.

except the first store that went mostly like
"can I help you?"
"No. Yes. Maybe. *sighs* I need a new phone, *sighs*, but i... don't know... *sighs* if i can find one i want *sighs*.......... maybe *sighs......... like i want one that is *sighs* not too big i guess? *sighs* but not too small so i can write easily on it, and*long sigh* I'm sorry" *leaves*
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

« Reply #14299 on: March 03, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
Icing too many biscuits : done :D I love this recipe, but it always took me so long time... Every time a recipe says it take X minutes I need to mentally add more. Now : tea.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14300 on: March 03, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
I feel so bad for all the electronic store employee's that had to deal with a melodramatic whiny haiz today. I'm practically going full performance about "MY DEAR DARLING XPERIA MINI PRO THAT LEFT THiS WORLD RECENTLY,," (with full on swooning pose) and how terrible and excluding modern smartphone culture is when all your choices are either a giant screen brick that will fit no pocket, or a doro phone meant for old people, and society as a whole is revolving around apps these days. the employees have been very nice and patient with me and don't deserve such treatment and i'm very grateful for their advice.

except the first store that went mostly like
"can I help you?"
"No. Yes. Maybe. *sighs* I need a new phone, *sighs*, but i... don't know... *sighs* if i can find one i want *sighs*.......... maybe *sighs......... like i want one that is *sighs* not too big i guess? *sighs* but not too small so i can write easily on it, and*long sigh* I'm sorry" *leaves*

You could probably find another minipro on finn.no or something.

And to the rest of you: no, finn.no has nothing to do with actual Finns.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:03:26 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14301 on: March 03, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
You could probably find another minipro on finn.no or something.

And to the rest of you: no, finn.no has nothing to do with actual Finns.
not when i actually need Real Human Help to decide for a phone. looking at the internet was more discouraging than looking at phones irl.

I've miraculously decided for one now, though. my main priority is to acquire a rainbowy case for it.

edit: oh woops i misread what you wrote. anyway i decided to get a new phone that can actually keep up with times because it was outdated already when i bought mine four/five years ago.......
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:39:21 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14302 on: March 03, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
Ooooh....shiny.

(pics of the Icelandic settlement sagas)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #14303 on: March 03, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »
Ooooh....shiny.

(pics of the Icelandic settlement sagas)

Eeee, nice books!
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14304 on: March 03, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »
So today was a day. Whooo boy.

First half of the day was very, very quiet so at some point I started blasting Undertale soundtrack just to amuse myself. I was minding my own business when I heard some random teenagers making noise on the outside, and at first I didn't pay attention because teenagers will be noisy, that seems to be the default setting. Then they started knocking on the window to get my attention and as I looked up I got lots of smiles, some thumbs-ups and a muffled "uuundertaaaale" from them... ah yes, forgot I had one shop window open to the street. :D

Then I started to make my own day bad. Had a group of old ladies come in wishing to have embroidery pictures framed, and all went ok-ish up until the moment that I carelessly put a frame sample corner over one embroidery piece to show how it would look like with it and then tried to quickly switch it to another one.

The corners have a bit of french zipper at the back with which they hang on the wall, see. Of course it had caught on the embroidery. Of course. I ended up ripping a few long stitches out. I've never had my heart sink that fast, it was awful and worst of all was that it was something I should have known, should have checked, stupidest possible mistake ever. Thankfully the damage was salvageable and I managed to fix the piece very quickly, and then somehow-no-idea-how got such a huge framing order from the ladies that the bossman himself called in afterwards (he can see the orders on his computer) to basically give me a slap on the back via phone. Still, it was one of the worst moment of my so-called career so far and I'll never ever ever again and -

*deep breath*

Thennn when the customers left I commenced to work on their order and found out it's possible to cut yourself in the fingers with a screwdriver, twice for good measure. Shaky hands and trying to remove tightly set staples from embroidery frame are a bad combo. Thank everything tomorrow's Friday already. -.-;
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #14305 on: March 03, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »
Thennn when the customers left I commenced to work on their order and found out it's possible to cut yourself in the fingers with a screwdriver, twice for good measure. Shaky hands and trying to remove tightly set staples from embroidery frame are a bad combo. Thank everything tomorrow's Friday already. -.-;
*Remove scissor, screwdriver and other dangerous objects from Laufey's hands and put a cup of tea instead, with homemade cookies, because it's deserved after such a day*

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14306 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »

I'm not sure I want to know how you managed to cut yourself with a screwdriver, but I kinda do.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14307 on: March 03, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
The corners have a bit of french zipper at the back with which they hang on the wall, see. Of course it had caught on the embroidery. Of course. I ended up ripping a few long stitches out. I've never had my heart sink that fast, it was awful and worst of all was that it was something I should have known, should have checked, stupidest possible mistake ever. Thankfully the damage was salvageable and I managed to fix the piece very quickly, and then somehow-no-idea-how got such a huge framing order from the ladies that the bossman himself called in afterwards (he can see the orders on his computer) to basically give me a slap on the back via phone. Still, it was one of the worst moment of my so-called career so far and I'll never ever ever again and -

*deep breath*

I think at this point even I have to add 'accident-prone' to the 'list of known traits of Laufey' in my mental personality profile database.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14308 on: March 03, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »
(tales of woe)
 Thank everything tomorrow's Friday already. -.-;

Sounds like time for tea, definitely; Melu has the right idea. : D Just one more day....
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14309 on: March 03, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
*Remove scissor, screwdriver and other dangerous objects from Laufey's hands and put a cup of tea instead, with homemade cookies, because it's deserved after such a day*
Sounds like time for tea, definitely; Melu has the right idea. : D Just one more day....

Thank you, tea has been made, forgotten on the table, more tea is currently brewing.

I'm not sure I want to know how you managed to cut yourself with a screwdriver, but I kinda do.

People often use small wood frames to attach the embroidery fabric over so that it's stretched taut and easier to work. These ones were stapled into place and I had to remove the staples so I could take the embroidery only (the frame is needed for future embroidery projects) and stretch that over backing foam. These ones were stuck in so deep that the only tool I had that I could use to pry them up a little bit was a screwdriver, so I did just that and then used pliers to pull the staples out one by one.

The frame is somewhat slippery though, so a few times the screwdriver just... went its own way, scraping me twice in process. Nothing big, just enough to demand bandaids and those mostly so I didn't bleed on the pictures.

I think at this point even I have to add 'accident-prone' to the 'list of known traits of Laufey' in my mental personality profile database.

I want to fight this with something but it's kinda hard with two bandaids and the memory of ripping out embroidery stitches fresh in mind... Ok, maybe a little accident-prone but nothing tragic (I hope). :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: