Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387323 times)

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1395 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
Now that I've looked it up, I actually remember it XD So, it's pionnen (pawns), paarden (horses), lopers (runners), and kastelen (castles).

Eish, Clayres... I know that feeling all too well. Did it make a backup at all (some programs are nice and do this)? If not... well, it means you get more practice in, haha... Dutch comfort, sorry.
It usually does, but this time... :-\
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1396 on: November 13, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
My usually trusty laptop just messed up and killed the picture I was working on - one for the Secret Santa. :'( Ok, I was just experimenting with GIMP, but I really liked the results.

Uh, you're not supposed to start working on the secret santa project yet. Part of the idea is that you should at least try to consider the recipient when you make your gift.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1397 on: November 13, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
Uh, you're not supposed to start working on the secret santa project yet. Part of the idea is that you should at least try to consider the recipient when you make your gift.
Welp. I wanted to create a buffer, a raw (or well, somewhat detailed) draft, to which I can add the important features, in order to take some time pressure of me... But that's beside the point. The point is I REALLY LIKED IT AND NOW IT'S GONE!
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1398 on: November 13, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »
Off topic: it's one of those overcast, humid, rainy summer days today, and I love it<3 That type of weather is the best.

It's the same down here! (Surprise :P)
Even more off topic: getting my hair cut today, I'd been cutting it myself for a while because the salon charges $80 and I was too busy with exams to travel  ;__; but anyway, now I'm supposed to go get it cut.....goodbye Emil-hair ;______; we'll meet again in a few weeks maybe.... *hugs extra inch of hair goodbye* and I could just tie it up too...
Oh well :P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1399 on: November 13, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
Enjoy your humid summer days all you want, I'm happy with this dry, cold windless weather.

I should probably get my hair cut, I'm so bad at keeping it neat and tidy anyways.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1400 on: November 13, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
Enjoy your humid summer days all you want, I'm happy with this dry, cold windless weather.

I should probably get my hair cut, I'm so bad at keeping it neat and tidy anyways.

I definitely will - they don't last long, and they're the only type of summer weather I really like. The sun hurts me too much for me to enjoy the rest quite as much as I would otherwise.

Hmm. Once upon a time, many many years ago, Lenny had a professional haircut. Happened to be the time I cut my hair to shoulderlength. Now, I just take care of it myself, though admittedly not very well. Still learning.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1401 on: November 13, 2014, 05:10:40 PM »
I definitely will - they don't last long, and they're the only type of summer weather I really like. The sun hurts me too much for me to enjoy the rest quite as much as I would otherwise.

Hmm. Once upon a time, many many years ago, Lenny had a professional haircut. Happened to be the time I cut my hair to shoulderlength. Now, I just take care of it myself, though admittedly not very well. Still learning.

In my childhood, when we lived over the 66th degree latitude, we wouldn't see the sun for weeks in the winter, only its dim light over the horizon. Then, in summer, the sun would be there hovering just over the horizon for 24 hours a day for months. It's a bizarre experience

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1402 on: November 13, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
It was a nice cloudy day over here, too.  This morning, there was reaaaally thick fog everywhere, and I couldn't see where I was going.  Driving home from work was awesome, though.  All the trees are red and yellow, with some occasional green, and the sun was tinting the clouds golden from behind.  Rain wouldn't have been good, as it's getting colder now.

I used to play quite a bit of chess in high school.  We were really bored in study hall, and we raided the cabinets and found a board sitting there and said, "Hey, why not?"  We got pretty good.  There was one guy I could never beat.  I probably went against him like 60+ times, but only beat him once...  My fatal flaw was just not looking at the board enough.  I'm a slow thinker, and when I'd move, I would immediately lose a piece pointlessly because I didn't see the other person's pieces.  Haven't played in a couple years...
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1403 on: November 13, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
Random unrelated question: is it just me, or is about 90-- no, 85% of the forum language learners learning Norwegian? I see that in signatures a lot...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1404 on: November 13, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
Random unrelated question: is it just me, or is about 90-- no, 85% of the forum language learners learning Norwegian? I see that in signatures a lot...
If anything, it's good that we're learning the same language, I guess. 
It'll make good motivation to keep up and talk with each other.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1405 on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:05 PM »

Maybe I'll take the position as resident drill sergeant for Norwegian learning forumites when I have time. I could probably design some basic excercises.

When I have time *single salty crocodile tear*

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1406 on: November 13, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
In my childhood, when we lived over the 66th degree latitude, we wouldn't see the sun for weeks in the winter, only its dim light over the horizon. Then, in summer, the sun would be there hovering just over the horizon for 24 hours a day for months. It's a bizarre experience

I've heard of that! It's one of the reasons why I really want to live that far north for a while. I might end up disliking it immensely, but I want to experience it anyway.

Very true! It's pretty nice. Usually I'm a lone learner, and it's not very good for motivation.

Maybe I'll take the position as resident drill sergeant for Norwegian learning forumites when I have time. I could probably design some basic excercises.

That would be cool! And somehow, I can see you filling in the position of drill sergeant very well.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1407 on: November 13, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

That could be really fun.  Actually, you're Sigrun incarnate.  It will definitely be fun (and maybe a little painful).  ThisCat could probably help, if you're that busy.
Also, I feel your pain.  It took me 4 days to get through the most recent lesson on memrise (part of that was playing guitar, but... that's more of a bodily need, at this point). 

I've heard of that! It's one of the reasons why I really want to live that far north for a while. I might end up disliking it immensely, but I want to experience it anyway.

Very true! It's pretty nice. Usually I'm a lone learner, and it's not very good for motivation.

That would be cool! And somehow, I can see you filling in the position of drill sergeant very well.
Yeah, same.  It's especially not good for languages.  It'd be nice to have people to learn from, instead of just a website; it seems much better for actually learning how to have conversations.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1408 on: November 13, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »

It's a bit like "either you have too much of it or you have nothing at all". But you can sit on a mountaintop at 3 am and it's bright daylight.

"Insubordination? Get down and conjugate 50 verbs!"

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1409 on: November 13, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »
Maybe I'll take the position as resident drill sergeant for Norwegian learning forumites when I have time. I could probably design some basic exercises.

MA'AM, YES, MA'AM!  Permission requested to observe training, MA'AM!

Uh... how do you say "maggot" in Norwegian? 

And how do you say, "Ain't no use in going home/ Jody got your gal and gone./Sound off! 1-2! Sound off! 3-4!"

Or maybe you'll take more the Bill Murray approach to training your troops? 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: