Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387613 times)

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14100 on: February 22, 2016, 09:04:43 AM »
Either wind down and stop twitching or run a few laps around the building, possibly, after work frenzy having nothing to do all of a sudden is bad for my well-being... I'm taking suggestions too if you got me some work.

*whispers* Grab all the spare bits of paper and draw Sigruns.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14101 on: February 22, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »
*whispers* Grab all the spare bits of paper and draw Sigruns.

A novel idea my lagomorph friend, I will begin immediately!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14102 on: February 23, 2016, 06:15:04 AM »
Right, I need a new laptop. I've been needing one for a while but now the arrow keys are so busted I can't delay it any longer; the left arrow gave up the ghost entirely and the up and right arrows have snapped off a few times already. Problem is that I know close to nothing about laptops, the last one was bought five years ago and when I try looking up what might work I don't understand half the deets and trying to compare laptops makes me so confused I almost fall off the chair. This chair is tall so that would hurt. ANYWAY, I'd love some recommendations if you've a laptop that's ok-ish for amateur level digital arting, hopefully with keys that can take a few fighting rounds in Undertale (or enough USB ports so I can spare one for a proper keyboard)...

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14103 on: February 23, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »
Right, I need a new laptop. I've been needing one for a while but now the arrow keys are so busted I can't delay it any longer; the left arrow gave up the ghost entirely and the up and right arrows have snapped off a few times already. Problem is that I know close to nothing about laptops, the last one was bought five years ago and when I try looking up what might work I don't understand half the deets and trying to compare laptops makes me so confused I almost fall off the chair. This chair is tall so that would hurt. ANYWAY, I'd love some recommendations if you've a laptop that's ok-ish for amateur level digital arting, hopefully with keys that can take a few fighting rounds in Undertale (or enough USB ports so I can spare one for a proper keyboard)...

It gave up the ghost?  Quick, call Reynir (with help from Onni)!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14104 on: February 23, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »
It gave up the ghost?  Quick, call Reynir (with help from Onni)!

Good idea. Sounds like somebody needs to lead that thing to the afterlife.

Lauf I... wish I had some suggestions, but unfortunately my own is roughly as old as yours and I'm totally side-eyeing it and hoping that I won't be in such a position any time soon. Good luck.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14105 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:41 AM »

If you need arrow keys that can survive an Undertale playthrough, than I am afraid you will have to search far and wide for a sturdy enough computer. ;)
In all seriousness though, I know apple devices are painfully expensive, but I have a macbook air and it have held up very well for about 5 years. I did have to replace a few parts somewhere in there though. Depending on just how broken your current computer is, I think you should look into trying to fix it if possible. The keys can be easily replaced, and you can get usb splitters to turn 1 into multiple ports.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14106 on: February 23, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
Laufey, What Luth said. I think Apple devices seem to be the most favoured by artists and gamers of my acquaintance. I do neither art nor gaming, but know a lot of people who do one or both, and most of them seem to have Apple computers. The other nice thing about Apples is that the after-sales service is good and reliable. Have you thought of trying a reconditioned Apple computer? They do a good job of reconditioning, and the price can be considerably lower.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14107 on: February 23, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
In all seriousness though, I know apple devices are painfully expensive, but I have a macbook air and it have held up very well for about 5 years.
I have my little brother "old" macbook since 2011. (I think he bought it between 2007 and 2009 ? When he had needed to buy a more powerful/recent/Idon'tknowwhat one, I bought this one for half the price.) It seems old for a lot of persons, but for the use I have, it's far enough for me. The battery is dead so I need a point to connect my computer, but it's the only problem I have with it in all these years :)
Unfortunately, I'm like you when it comes about knowledges on computers, Laufey :/ But I'm pretty sure we must have someone here knowing much than us.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14108 on: February 23, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm like you when it comes about knowledges on computers, Laufey :/ But I'm pretty sure we must have someone here knowing much than us.

I guess that would be me?? I'm pretty good with tech.

The battery is dead so I need a point to connect my computer

You can replace the battery pretty easy! It's just the same as putting new batteries in a calculator or something. You can order a replacement for your model, open it up (you do need a special screwdriver though) unplug the old battery, plug in the new one, and close it all back up and it'll work well. Or just bring it in to the guys at the store and pay 200 bucks for it, But if it's working well for you anyway I guess that's fine.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14109 on: February 23, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
I don't know what laptops are the best or anything since I prefer my huge tower PC over laptops but I have some general advice:
Look for a computer with an Intel Core <m/i3/i5/i7> processor. They are the most powerful and that's important if you want your computer to be responsive. A downside is that a more powerful CPU will usually mean less battery life but the new Core M processors seem to be both powerful and efficient. Current AMD CPUs seem neither powerful nor efficient so I'd stay away from them.
Get plenty of ram, like 8GB+. Web browsers and image editing apps like to use a lot of ram so you want to have plenty of that.
Having an SSD rather than a regular hard drive is SO nice but you probably want to have at least 250GB+ having any less like 120GB is probably going to feel like too little if that's all you have. Large SSDs are rather expensive though so a combo drive, a SSHD, is probably a nice compromise. Basically SSD > SSHD > HDD.

Hmm, actually looking at some laptops this one seems to fit most of my criteria although it could have a better battery life. It seems reasonably priced but I don't know what your budget is and I haven't done any comparison with other stores like I would do If I were looking myself.
Pretentious? Moi?

IKEA

« Reply #14110 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
Any bets on how long it'll take for this thread to hit 1000 pages? I'm thinking by July 1st.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14111 on: February 23, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »
Thank you everyone for the laptop advice so far! I'm likely still going to scratch my head over it a few days but it has really come time to get a new one. Trust me the one I have at the moment is not worth fixing...

snip

Solid advice, thank you! Hmm, I've heard a lot of good things about Lenovo and the price is quite reasonable (for Iceland at least). Putting this one on the "definitely considering"-list.

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14112 on: February 23, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
Any bets on how long it'll take for this thread to hit 1000 pages? I'm thinking by July 1st.
I'm gonna guess it'll happen somewhere around the last week of April.
Pretentious? Moi?

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14113 on: February 23, 2016, 03:51:28 PM »
I'm gonna guess it'll happen somewhere around the last week of April.

July seems WAY too far out, yeah.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14114 on: February 23, 2016, 05:41:29 PM »
Right, I need a new laptop.
What operating system(s) do you plan to run on it? Windows, MacOS, Linux, others?

hopefully with keys that can take a few fighting rounds in Undertale (or enough USB ports so I can spare one for a proper keyboard)...
Keyboards are low-power USB devices that usually work well dangling off a USB hub, rather than a primary port. Matter of fact, a lot of keyboards today are USB hubs, so you can plug your thumb drives etc. etc. into the keyboard that you have right at your fingertips, instead of fumbling with ports somewhere off the side or back of the laptop itself.

(And then, of course, there's sheer capacity ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15