Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387618 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1335 on: November 12, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
Hmm, well, I've done that as well, so maybe it's just a Norwegian thing...

exchange asphalt with pebbles and the situation is exactly the same ;)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #1336 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
Hmm, well, I've done that as well, so maybe it's just a Norwegian thing...

I haven't, but I make a point of not running downhill if I can help it. Because most the downhill inclines I would run down are mountains, and they are usually covered in dirt and rocks that are just waiting for you to get overconfident in your footing so that they can come loose and send you tumbling down. My husband has a very vivid scar on his backside from the last time we went hiking and he took a downhill too quickly...

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1337 on: November 12, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »

I've done that as well... Actually, I think the problem with me is just that I never see where I'm stepping. Seriously. I know I'm walking on ice, and I still run around like an idiot. I've ruined so many pairs of perfectly good pants. I'm literally incapable of entering "state of the ground beneath my feet" into that little equation in my head that tells me how it's safe to move. I also walk into things. I have a bruise on my knee because I opened the door to my closet and immediately ran into it.Like, three seconds later. I think there's something wrong with me.

I haven't, but I make a point of not running downhill if I can help it. Because most the downhill inclines I would run down are mountains, and they are usually covered in dirt and rocks that are just waiting for you to get overconfident in your footing so that they can come loose and send you tumbling down. My husband has a very vivid scar on his backside from the last time we went hiking and he took a downhill too quickly...

I bike down trails in the middle of forests without problems though. It's funny.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1338 on: November 12, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »

Yessss, running downhills is amazing! And thanks to my incredible luck I rarely ever slip, much less hurt myself!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1339 on: November 12, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »
Yessss, running downhills is amazing! And thanks to my incredible luck I rarely ever slip, much less hurt myself!

Or skill. Could be skill.
 Mostly quiet.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1340 on: November 12, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
I've done that as well... Actually, I think the problem with me is just that I never see where I'm stepping. Seriously. I know I'm walking on ice, and I still run around like an idiot. I've ruined so many pairs of perfectly good pants. I'm literally incapable of entering "state of the ground beneath my feet" into that little equation in my head that tells me how it's safe to move. I also walk into things. I have a bruise on my knee because I opened the door to my closet and immediately ran into it.Like, three seconds later. I think there's something wrong with me.

I've had several moments where I see solid ice on the road, realise it's solid ice but still, being too slow mentally, I end up runing over it. Then it's either fall outright or just end up dancing across the ice like a zombie having a seizure.

Got myself a nice bruise this time but I just know it won't be the last this year.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1341 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
I've had several moments where I see solid ice on the road, realise it's solid ice but still, being too slow mentally, I end up runing over it. Then it's either fall outright or just end up dancing across the ice like a zombie having a seizure.

Got myself a nice bruise this time but I just know it won't be the last this year.

Yep. I do this thing where I run out on the fields even though I know it's been raining. I always end up soaking. Sometimes I fall as well and ruin all my clothes. Still love running in the dark though...
 Mostly quiet.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1342 on: November 12, 2014, 01:46:39 PM »
Still love running in the dark though...

I know right. It's weird, it somehow feels wrong to run when it's sunny outside, it feels draining somehow. Maybe Norwegians are actually part vampire/boogeyman.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1343 on: November 12, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
I know right. It's weird, it somehow feels wrong to run when it's sunny outside, it feels draining somehow. Maybe Norwegians are actually part vampire/boogeyman.

Oh my gosh I have never met anyone who feels the same before will you be my friend forever?!
 Mostly quiet.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1344 on: November 12, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »

It's not so much the specific "running on unstable footing" thing (though I have a wonky knee and feel nervous on surfaces or steep downhill slopes that might throw me) -- it's the "whee, who cares!  I've injured everything and it's still awesome!!" attitude. 

Hey, I admire that kind of joie de vivre.  I just want to do it from a safe distance...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1345 on: November 12, 2014, 01:57:02 PM »
Yep. I do this thing where I run out on the fields even though I know it's been raining. I always end up soaking. Sometimes I fall as well and ruin all my clothes. Still love running in the dark though...
I love running when it's dark and cold, too! It get's my adrenaline pumping! It's great!
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1346 on: November 12, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »
Aaaahh! And all my friends think it's weird that I like running outside for hours in the middle of the night! I'm not alooone! :D
 Mostly quiet.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1347 on: November 12, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »
I love running when it's dark and cold, too! It get's my adrenaline pumping! It's great!

Would you please move to my area? I am not able to run in the dark on my own. I would need a running buddy who would hold a stick between me and him. He would have to look out for uneven ground but it works fine. After some time a short rope will work as sufficient support. Though the pace would not be that fast but surely quicker than mere walking. Gosh how I miss going for a run in the dark.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1348 on: November 12, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »
Would you please move to my area? I am not able to run in the dark on my own. I would need a running buddy who would hold a stick between me and him. He would have to look out for uneven ground but it works fine. After some time a short rope will work as sufficient support. Though the pace would not be that fast but surely quicker than mere walking. Gosh how I miss going for a run in the dark.
Depends. How's the internet connection?
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1349 on: November 12, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »
Depends. How's the internet connection?

My boyfriend was able to play league of legends on a stable connections, downloads are working fine and steam has no problems around here. Though I should mention that our biggist attraction is a post box and a sheep meadow. But those sheep are reaaaaaally cute.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information