Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411313 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13815 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
Here it's Lughnasadh, First Harvest. In the North of the world it's the season break for Spring, here for Autumn. And we've actually had some decent rain, 30ml, a bit over an inch in the old money. Which doesn't sound like a lot, but makes a huge difference. And we have a young brushtail possum which has decided my wattle tree is home. He sat on a branch about a yard from me and swore at me when I went down the yard at dusk. Hope he learns better manners soon!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13816 on: February 02, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »
*wanders in* The groundhog didn't see his shadow! Less winter for us!

Coulda told you that just by looking out the window. :D
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13817 on: February 02, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
*wanders in* The groundhog didn't see his shadow! Less winter for us!

#sadface
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13818 on: February 02, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
EDIT: now also available in English.
Also up on the site now: It might not have been HIS mistake in the first place ... :-\

(But frankly, there've been too many reports of people mistakenly booking flights to similar-sounding places on the wrong continent for this incident to be very surprising anymore. The car drivers who believe their GPS to the point of zipping through a ferry terminal and into the water, for lack of the ferry being present and ready to board, are more of a laugh right now.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13819 on: February 02, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »
(But frankly, there've been too many reports of people mistakenly booking flights to similar-sounding places on the wrong continent for this incident to be very surprising anymore. The car drivers who believe their GPS to the point of zipping through a ferry terminal and into the water, for lack of the ferry being present and ready to board, are more of a laugh right now.)

Can people not look at a MAP before they start driving places?  Has that skill been entirely lost?

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13820 on: February 02, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
Also up on the site now: It might not have been HIS mistake in the first place ... :-\

I actually thought it was spelled Laugarvegur until I read that just now. But I think people should at least check that the GPS is pointing them to the right half of the country.
Pretentious? Moi?

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13821 on: February 02, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
I actually thought it was spelled Laugarvegur until I read that just now. But I think people should at least check that the GPS is pointing them to the right half of the country.

Also, it's what, a 7 hour drive (according to Google Maps).  I'd think after a substantially shorter time you'd twig that you'd gone the wrong way.

JoB

« Reply #13822 on: February 02, 2016, 07:06:32 PM »
Can people not look at a MAP before they start driving places?  Has that skill been entirely lost?
You wonder about people looking at a map when even the professionals are clearly challenged to keep looking through the windshield?

http://www.express.de/koeln/der-klassiker----autsch--hier-haengt-wieder-ein-lkw-unter-der--idiotenbruecke--863478
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiotenbr%C3%BCcke

(Another classic: Buy a cheap "car grade" GPS for your truck instead of a dedicated truck GPS. Fun wherever there are mountains or tight curves that the GPS assumes are no problem for your vehicle ...)

But I think people should at least check that the GPS is pointing them to the right half of the country.
(By the by, that's an awfully long drive to Helsinki 2017 ... :( )
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13823 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:42 PM »
(By the by, that's an awfully long drive to Helsinki 2017 ... :( )

Hah. I'll probably fly to Helsinki on the way to Finncon.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13824 on: February 02, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »
You wonder about people looking at a map when even the professionals are clearly challenged to keep looking through the windshield?

http://www.express.de/koeln/der-klassiker----autsch--hier-haengt-wieder-ein-lkw-unter-der--idiotenbruecke--863478
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiotenbr%C3%BCcke

I can't read any of that, but I get that the gist of it is drivers doing stupid things? Texting while driving or the like?

I still refuse point blank to use a GPS because of the sheer overdependence that they induce. Also have a whole separate rant about how the phone call can wait until you've had a chance to pull over...

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #13825 on: February 02, 2016, 08:54:16 PM »
I can't read any of that, but I get that the gist of it is drivers doing stupid things? Texting while driving or the like?

I still refuse point blank to use a GPS because of the sheer overdependence that they induce. Also have a whole separate rant about how the phone call can wait until you've had a chance to pull over...

Believe it or not.  :o
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13826 on: February 02, 2016, 08:59:20 PM »

Believe it or not.  :o

...now I do not want to get behind a wheel ever again.

JoB

« Reply #13827 on: February 02, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »
There's a railroad bridge - well, actually a set of them - going over a street in Cologne that isn't even on the main grid, and for whatever reason (other than the bridges being a bit lower than usual), non-local truck drivers keep jamming their vehicles under it; over a hundred of them until at least the lowest of the bridges was removed in 2007. The locals call it the "idiots' bridge". At some point, the size and color contrast of the signs warning the truck drivers of the low bridge would've been fit to signal "you're entering the capital now" on a highway, plus flashing lights. ::)

The car I'm driving now had GPS when it was handed to me (other than that, I'm pretty much a "map guy" myself). It's handy if you need to drive to a specific address in a city you've never been in before, much less have maps of, or when you hear of a road block ahead in the radio (assuming that your GPS receives RDS through the radio and thus knows of the upcoming road block, too) and a handy detour through unknown terrain just happens. (Not that a GPS is outright infallible, mind.)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13828 on: February 03, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
My housemates are doing an other "surprise birthday" right now. If you don't see me come back, it will means I would have been eaten by the too-much-sociability-to-fake. Or I would have run away elsewhere. Something like that.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13829 on: February 03, 2016, 10:50:58 AM »
My housemates are doing an other "surprise birthday" right now. If you don't see me come back, it will means I would have been eaten by the too-much-sociability-to-fake. Or I would have run away elsewhere. Something like that.

Try hiding under the bed until it's over. Or in a closet. And if there's wifi, you're all set.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge