Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410083 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13590 on: January 17, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »
Could be worse, I mean we've got a penis museum.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13591 on: January 17, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »

JOKE OVERLOAD!
JOKE OVERLOAD!!
JOKE OVERLOAD!!!
JOKE OVERLOAD!!!!
JOKE OVERLOAD!!!!!
* LooNEY_DAC explodes

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13592 on: January 17, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
I have too many other museums to discover.
Ah, but what other museums could offer you theme-appropriate transport between them? :P

Which goes really well with barbed wire and other torture instruments. Well, on this list, at least. (Personally, I'ld rather partner it with toilets, toilet seats, and the "House of Balls".)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13593 on: January 17, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
O_o Why ? Who could have had such an idea, opening a sewer museum ?Did someone said "archeology" ? :D
Good luck...  :-\ You'll need an hot drink after going in this cold, not for too long I hope ?

Actually, the Paris Sewer Museum is really very interesting.  I went there on my first visit to Paris, nigh on 20 years back.  I recommend it.

Just don't go on a day when it's heavily raining, because it's closed then, just in case of flooding.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13594 on: January 17, 2016, 03:39:56 PM »
Ah, but what other museums could offer you theme-appropriate transport between them? :P
... One point for you :P
*Has still other museums on her list first*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #13595 on: January 17, 2016, 05:29:11 PM »
Paris, Brussels, Vienna, Osaka, Brighton, Tokyo, Prague, Manchester, Montréal, Cologne, ...

Well Montreal's isn't much of a museum.

I mean, everyone can see the St.Lawrence river. 
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13596 on: January 18, 2016, 12:14:46 AM »
When you get bored of Sewer and Penis Museums you can start on the Potato Museums.

There's even one in central Denmark, should our brave crew make it that far and feel like checking it out.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13597 on: January 18, 2016, 01:44:39 AM »
And there's the Museum of Witchcraft and Magic, at Boscastle in Cornwall. At least it's a bit more tasteful now than when it was at Castletown in Man.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13598 on: January 18, 2016, 04:31:25 AM »
My apologies for breaking the museum theme.

Last week was weird. I still can't decide what to make of it, especially the weekend.
If I hadn't been in such an inexplicably good mood throughout the whole of it, this would probably be a case for the comfort corner.

Here comes my great and mighty tale of (hopefully amusing) misfortune:
Spoiler: show
It all started relatively harmlessly, but annoyingly, with coming to class to late three times in a row (because I overslept). I couldn't have managed more often if I had tried, because there were only three days of lessons in last week.
Then I couldn't find the homework for said lessons, even though I had done them the Saturday before. In one case, I couldn't even find the papers for the class. I also forgot about the test we were going to write.
Then I decided to go to the next bigger city (Fukuoka) with a friend to get our visas for spring travels sorted out. I didn't want to stay the night, but she did, so we had a little quarrel, which she won.
Since we needed printouts and photos we set out to do that. We managed the printouts just fine, but inexplicably didn't manage to cross the street to the photo booth we wanted. It took us three tries! (We always headed off in a different direction.)
Then be got bus tickets because it was cheeper than the train. I overslept (again), but the bus was late, so we got on just fine... However, as the bus was late and proceeded to get even later, we reached our destination with 45 minutes to spare until the consulate closed for the day. Since my friend had noticed that she had forgotten to enter my name in the hotel reservation, we were also pressured to find another convenience store to reprint it in this time.
So we got a taxi, found the closest convenience store to the consulate, printed the reservation and managed to get to the consulate 10 minutes before their closing time... At which point I noticed that my friend had misspelled my name on the flight reservation! (I had given her my details "just to make sure", as well!)
The consulate people accepted our forms and told us to send them the changed flight details via email.
Of course, different from all consulates both my friend and I had ever been to, this one had a printer and a photo booth!
We then went back to the city, found what we wanted to buy in the first shop we went into, respectively, and continued to amble about in one of the multi-storeyed shops - when suddenly, I was grabbed by an excited Japanese.
It turned out to be the boyfriend of a former tandem partner (language exchange - which happens in "tandem"), who I had met over two years ago.
He is now playing football (soccer) in Berlin and just so happened to visit his hometown. Disregarding the fact that we had possibly exchanged a total of ten sentences before this surprise meeting and that my friend doesn't speak German, he insisted to give us an impromptu tour of the souvenir shops we had not planned to visit.
The only good thing he did was take us to a shrine (the whole visit of which took about 15 minutes), where my friend bought an O-mamori  to give to her father.
Seeing as he refused to switch over to either English or Japanese and ignored my friend as soundly as he had ignored me at the time we first met, I then had to handle him (exuberant and hopeful to get us to buy souvenirs) and her (deadly annoyed and close to combustion). Fun.
I still can't believe this meeting happened. I mean, what are the odds?! What are the odds of someone who, by all rights, should be freezing their best bits off on the other side of the world, coincidentally walking into the same department store and buying massage tools for their family on the same storey, and look in your direction just when you leave?!
In any case, we managed to shake him after about four hours, by hastily embarking the underground, which meant we did not eat before going to our hostel.
... We then discovered that there were no restaurants close to our hostel.
The room was alright, but we shared it with four women from Taiwan, who could absolutely not handle the temperature (around 1°C outside) and therefore decided putting the air-con on 26°C for a 15m2 room would be a fabulous idea. I eventually managed to haggle them down to 20°C - which meant they put on extra jackets to sleep...
But since my friend and I had the top bunk bed, we still couldn't sleep, got dry noses and an awful headache. Add to that that or room mates just wouldn't switch the light off, and you can imagine our night.
Despite falling asleep late after an exhausting day, we woke up a whole hour ahead of our plans. We gave in our keys and left the hostel. Halfway to the subway, I noticed that I had "lost" my mobile. I checked all pockets and my backpack but it wasn't there... and so we returned to the hostel, where we had to ring the bell for someone to let us in.
Of course, just when I left the Genkan, I shove my hand in my jacket's pocket and feel - oh, lo and behold! - my mobile. I then had to pretend-find it, which didn't work, because the woman who had let me in watched me. It eventually amounted to me pulling the mobile from my pocket and holding it in front of her face with some desperation. Thankfully her brain produced some kind of sensible explanation for my strange antics and she congratulated me on finding my mobile. (Thank you, brain, I owe you!)
We eventually got back into the city proper, where we wanted to buy one last thing (after all, we had time), but the shop wasn't open yet.
We decided to get breakfast. My friend didn't like hers, so I ate it, because I hate wasting food. Unfortunately it didn't agree with me and made me feel nauseous.
The store opened, we got our things, we got on the subway to go to the place the bus would depart from. Of course it was the wrong subway, why do you even ask?
But we only noticed this after making it to the last stop. We paid what were due, went out, bought new tickets, got back in. It looked very much like we would have to buy new bus tickets as well, because the likelihood of actually catching the bus were, at this point, very, very slim.
To get us to do something else but worrying, I pointed out a fellow traveler, who was carrying the same O-mamori my friend had bought for her father - which made her realize she had thrown hers away in the hostel because she had mistaken it for garbage!
After worrying that this might bring bad luck (hah!) for several minutes we gave up and resigned ourselves to buying new bus tickets.
However! We managed to get out of the subway, the train station, cross the street and find the right floor in the building that posed as bus station after a mad dash - AND MADE IT ON THE BUS! (My friend had enough time to disembark again and buy a drink, too.)
On the way back, I noticed I had not only given the necessary paperwork to the people at the consulate, but also to one I wanted to keep.
Oh, yeah, changing the one letter in my name my friend got wrong when booking the flights will cost ₤200...

And that was last week.
I am alternately amused and baffled.
This has taught me that I should always try to keep my good mood, because I don't think I would have managed the last week with a bad one. It would have been so much worse!

Here, have a picture or two:
Spoiler: show

Nooo~ Japanese don't like kitsch, all their things are very elegant and have a simple charm...
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Now carry on with your discussion.

UPDATE: Apparently it's not over yet. The airline wants a scan of my passport before they change my name. I can not make this scan because - of course - the passport is at the consulate. They could have a scan of my ID card, my driver's license, the residency card or the Japanese visa, but nooo, they need the passport.

I still find it hilarious.
I must have enraged some deity or something...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:15:23 AM by Asterales »
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #13599 on: January 18, 2016, 02:42:28 PM »
snip
Sounds like a rough week, good thing you're able to laugh about it!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13600 on: January 18, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Sounds like a rough week, good thing you're able to laugh about it!

You have to laugh, or else you'd cry.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13601 on: January 18, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »
I still find it hilarious.
I must have enraged some deity or something...
I agree with Unlos, at least now you can look back and laugh at the absurdity of your week  ^-^

Looking on the bright side of things, you now have a hell of a story to tell your friends and family.  ;)
Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

TicTac

• I am a happy little TicTac
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #13602 on: January 18, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »
Woah, that is a crazy story. Better than my story of going for a 'quick walk' while in England, ending up in a different village like two hours later and getting some hot chocolate and cake in a cafe. Also, we may have trespassed and possibly done something illegal. Possibly.
Fluent: :australia:
Know a few phrases: :china:
Know random words: :germany: :spain: (thanks Dora)
Want to learn, eventually: :finland:
Survived :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13603 on: January 18, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Oh my gosh! TicTac, I only just saw the faces on your Tictacs!
Awww <3

I like getting lost. It's a great way to find awesome places ;D
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13604 on: January 18, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »
I like getting lost. It's a great way to find awesome places ;D

I'll second that. Last time I was visiting a foreign country for work, I'd sometimes set out my door with the thought 'Operation: Get Hopelessly Lost.' :D
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: