Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387543 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13245 on: January 02, 2016, 03:14:20 AM »
Yep, your pics posted this time - I do like all your little bits of sea-drift, and I love rockpools! The sea there still looks really healthy, good. And a happy New Year to you too!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13246 on: January 02, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »
*prays that the image uploading will work this time*

It's so late..... but here are some New Years pictures I took, and intended to upload on new years....but the internet had other plans <_<

:3
Spoiler:  some pictures but not many • show

Part of the rock pools

A kind of wonky panorama of my favourite beach from a moving boat XD We didn't have time for any swimming, even though I brought my bathers ;-; ah well

small collection of things I liked, and sherbet-covered ice cream from the over-priced van X)

Also I just watched the tattoo thing-I-cant-remember-the-name-of and I was not expecting for there to be a sword fight between a guy with a drumstick and another guy with a giant swiss flag on a stick, and also the drumsticks turning into tiny flutes and the flagpoles becoming enormous sparklers <_<
>_>
t'was good.

Wei! I'm gland you kept trying :)
Your pictures are lovely. I really like the new year one, although my first thought was: "This is very weird sno... Wait!" :o Okay brain~ ::)
Thank you!
Happy New Year, Frohes Neues, bonne année, feliz año nuevo, 新年快乐 and 明けましておめでとう to you, too! (Just to make sure it really happens) And all other forumites as well, of course!  ^-^
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13247 on: January 02, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »
oh wow, owlie, those photos are amazing O:

iiiiiii've been travelling all day, waking up at 4am so we could get to the krakow airport in time. the thing about waking up at 4am, though, is that everyone is cranky and everything is terrible haha. also, they're doing some construction work at the airport so there was extra walking and more open walls (it was -13 outside) and more chaos, so I was feeling pretty miserable. BUT THEN
I SAW
tHE AIRPORT MAGAZINE

that's my city!!!!!!! except the dragonhead figure doesn't really have anything to do with it. the photos inside were accurate, though! it was kinda nice to see someone caring about my city for once hahah
you'll know where to find me.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13248 on: January 02, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »
that's my city!!!!!!! except the dragonhead figure doesn't really have anything to do with it. the photos inside were accurate, though! it was kinda nice to see someone caring about my city for once hahah

That's always a cool feeling, knowing that the place you're from is out there in the world :)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13249 on: January 02, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »
Coming on with a random question brought on by a conversation I had with a friend last night, but can anyone tell me the proper pronunciation of the characters' names? (Native English speaker, don't know any Scandinavian languages, sorry if this is a 'drinking game' question!)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #13250 on: January 02, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
Coming on with a random question brought on by a conversation I had with a friend last night, but can anyone tell me the proper pronunciation of the characters' names? (Native English speaker, don't know any Scandinavian languages, sorry if this is a 'drinking game' question!)
Iii have no idea how to explain pronounciation of things for english speakers, but i can tRY:

Sigrun - Sigg-rune, but with a rolling r?
Emil - Eh-meel
Mikkel - Mick-el

I'm not gonna take any chances on the finns and the icelander, but I think they're really straightforward - except that doesn't really help telling to english speakers, does it. I know the artd book explained finnish names put pressure on the first part, so I suppose Lalli is something like Lall-i.

edit: if i remember some forum conversation of old, I think we concluded that reynir is pronounced pretty close to "reindeer", but without the d and more pressure on the "rey"? and rolling r's, again. probably.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:18:09 PM by Haiz »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13251 on: January 02, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
Emil - Eh-meel

I'm a native English speaker, but I think I remember a Swedish person in the comments say it was pronounced Ee-mill...?

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #13252 on: January 02, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
I'm a native English speaker, but I think I remember a Swedish person in the comments say it was pronounced Ee-mill...?
listen to the first seconds of this

like, it's a long strecthed E, but not the english ee sound

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13253 on: January 02, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
Iii have no idea how to explain pronounciation of things for english speakers, but i can tRY:

Sigrun - Sigg-rune, but with a rolling r?
Emil - Eh-meel
Mikkel - Mick-el

I'm not gonna take any chances on the finns and the icelander, but I think they're really straightforward - except that doesn't really help telling to english speakers, does it. I know the artd book explained finnish names put pressure on the first part, so I suppose Lalli is something like Lall-i.

edit: if i remember some forum conversation of old, I think we concluded that reynir is pronounced pretty close to "reindeer", but without the d and more pressure on the "rey"? and rolling r's, again. probably.

Okay, thanks. And don't worry, your explanation looks pretty straightforward. :D

(And you'd think that after four years of Spanish lessons I would have mastered the art of rolling my r's, but noooooooo.)

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #13254 on: January 02, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »
Okay, thanks. And don't worry, your explanation looks pretty straightforward. :D

(And you'd think that after four years of Spanish lessons I would have mastered the art of rolling my r's, but noooooooo.)
first i was like "oh, if only there was a way to record the way i say them to demonstrate" and then i remembered vocaroo exists, so here's my take on the names. again, i'm not sure about the finns and reynir but it can't be TOO wrong, can it
(also i don't have a proper microphone so the quality is terrible but whatever)

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13255 on: January 02, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
listen to the first seconds of this

like, it's a long strecthed E, but not the english ee sound

My ears must be bad, it sounds like 'ee' to me :P (also I'd say it's closer to English 'mill' than 'meel'... idk though it doesn't even matter at this point)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #13256 on: January 02, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
My ears must be bad, it sounds like 'ee' to me :P (also I'd say it's closer to English 'mill' than 'meel'... idk though it doesn't even matter at this point)
on one hand, I literally have an irl friend named Emil, buut on the other hand we're not swedish, soooo.... i might also be wrong about what you define as an "ee" sound because that's what i think i'd call an "i", but english speakers pronounce i like "ai", and you pronounce "a" like i'd do "ey", so,, HONESTLY,,,, me trying to englishify scandinavian sounds is a trainwreck no matter what angle you look at it from

in a similar vein, whenever someone asks me how to pronounce "haiz" i have nothing better to answer than a dead-eyed shrug
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:57:34 PM by Haiz »

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13257 on: January 02, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
first i was like "oh, if only there was a way to record the way i say them to demonstrate" and then i remembered vocaroo exists, so here's my take on the names. again, i'm not sure about the finns and reynir but it can't be TOO wrong, can it
(also i don't have a proper microphone so the quality is terrible but whatever)

Well, I definitely have a better handle on it now than I did last night, so thank you!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13258 on: January 02, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
Coming on with a random question brought on by a conversation I had with a friend last night, but can anyone tell me the proper pronunciation of the characters' names?
Dunno if it helps, but for half of the main characters, someone put the pronunciation in IPA notation on their wiki pages.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13259 on: January 02, 2016, 03:21:47 PM »
Dunno if it helps, but for half of the main characters, someone put the pronunciation in IPA notation on their wiki pages.

That does help, thanks for the tip.