Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411326 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13110 on: December 24, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »
OK BUT REALLY THOUGH this is so important to me. most ~*Strong Female Characters*~ are always so... serious and perfect, y'know? there aren't any female jack sparrows out there. *bangs hands on table* MORE FEMALE JACK SPARROWS

Okay, I want a female Jack Sparrow now.

Sorry if what I said came across wrong. What I meant to say was that Sigrun's goofiness was an obstacle in me warming up to her not because I think all female heroes need to be Super Serious all the time, but because she reminded me of another goofy hero who I honestly didn't like very much. Whereas Goku was a character I liked progressively less the more I saw of him, Sigrun was a character I ended up liking progressively more, and those very traits that started out as a strike for me eventually ended up becoming an asset. Urgh, am I making sense here?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13111 on: December 24, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »
OK BUT REALLY THOUGH this is so important to me. most ~*Strong Female Characters*~ are always so... serious and perfect, y'know? there aren't any female jack sparrows out there. *bangs hands on table* MORE FEMALE JACK SPARROWS
SO MUCH THIS
like, all the Strong Female Characters are badass 24/7 and I'm just over here like "look, you've figured out the strong-but-goofy male character, surely you can do it again?" Really, there aren't very many female goofballs out there and it makes me sad because most of the ladypeople I know are ridiculous and I don't recognise these characters

Also Tuuri is really important to me. She looks like a sweet lil cinnamon roll, but then she's got mechanic chops? and anger issues, kinda? and I'm just like YES YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL SNARKBALL I SUPPORT YOUR DECISION TO BE BOTH ADORABLE AND A TERRIBLE PERSON GOOD JOB

Urgh, am I making sense here?
Yes. I originally didn't really like Sigrun, because she seemed to make a lot of bad decisions, but now she's wandering into My Queen territory and I'm not sure what to do about it.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13112 on: December 24, 2015, 05:33:35 PM »
lazy8, noo i didnt take it the wrong way!! i can definitely see that. i'm just so relieved to have some goofy and 3-dimensional female characters. even though i thought almost the entire cast of SSSS was female before i started reading. but as you're pointing out, the guys aren't exactly hypermasculine, so i don't even really mind that much because i love them all for who they are aaa
you'll know where to find me.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13113 on: December 24, 2015, 05:40:24 PM »
I originally didn't really like Sigrun, because she seemed to make a lot of bad decisions, but now she's wandering into My Queen territory and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Um, I'd try to help you, but that would require losing my place in the line of people waiting to propose to her.

I never actively disliked her, because I understood from the get-go that part of the selling point of this story was that none of the characters were particularly qualified. I expected everyone to make a lot of stupid mistakes that would be a source of humor, and Sigrun was no exception. It just took seeing her get injured to protect Reynir for me to see her genuinely competent side, even though it had been staring me in the face for quite a while.

i'm just so relieved to have some goofy and 3-dimensional female characters. even though i thought almost the entire cast of SSSS was female before i started reading. but as you're pointing out, the guys aren't exactly hypermasculine, so i don't even really mind that much because i love them all for who they are aaa

I have nothing to say to this except yessssssssss. Nobody is a cardboard cutout or stereotype, and I love that.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13114 on: December 24, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »

YES PLEASE ALL THE FEMALE JACK SPARROWS
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #13115 on: December 24, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »
You may have noticed, that the forum header just jumped into full winter mode.
Let me wish, with this, very happy holidays to everyone! :)

Don't overlook the snow button!
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13116 on: December 24, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »

Eri, this is amazing. : D Awesome job!
(I am going to have so much fun with that snow button...)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13117 on: December 24, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »

Eeeee! This almost makes up for the snow we're not getting over here  :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #13118 on: December 24, 2015, 06:55:42 PM »

*is on mobile sees nothing out of the ordinary* hmm *goes snooping*
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13119 on: December 24, 2015, 07:08:17 PM »
Female Jack Sparrows... hmmm. I always had a soft spot for Joanna from Jeffrey Farnol's 'Martin Conisby' stories. Admittedly at the end she 'dies for lurve', stepping into the path of a bullet meant for the hero, but up until then she is awesome and quite Sigrunny. Not bad for a character from a story written early last century and set in the 1600s. And she is a playful gadfly to the dreadfully grim and solemn hero. At one point she non-fatally poisons him for fun, because she thinks a spot of puking will unbend him a bit. And she makes one helluva pirate queen.

Then, in a completely different context, there's Cordelia Naismith from the Miles Vorkosigan stories by Lois McMaster Bujold. Less goofy but equally badass, and a female character with depth and with her own moral compass, completely different to that of the mostly male characters around her. That series is full of strong and well developed female characters, actually. Well worth a read. And explores some interesting questions. Like, at one point, Ekaterin (Cordelia's eventual daughter-in-law) is debating with herself about the life of her aunt, who is a history professor, wife, mother and remarkable person, in terms of that whole career/life balance thing, and how women often sacrifice one aspect of life to get the others - it's quite philosophical.

Those stories also explore gender issues in some very interesting ways. One of the major characters is a hermaphrodite, from a race experimentally made that way. And there's a whole novel, 'Ethan of Athos', peripheral to the main story, set around a character from a world where the entire population is male. And a whole lot of exploration of what being freed from the necessity for direct biological reproduction does to the human psyche, sexuality, gender concepts and culture. All in some rattling good yarns. Read them in order, the story is better so.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #13120 on: December 24, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »

I just noticed the header change. Thank you so much Eri! I always appreciate the touches you give to the forum. :)
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

|Yucca|

« Reply #13121 on: December 24, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »

The new header looks nice and all, but it makes me a bit sad that even this forum gets more snow than half of Finland.
I barely survived:
:chap5:  :book2:  :book3:  :book4:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #13122 on: December 24, 2015, 08:46:38 PM »

*spends 3 hours hitting the snow button to cope with skalding withdrawal*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #13123 on: December 24, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »
*spends 3 hours hitting the snow button to cope with skalding withdrawal*

So, how's the snow where you are Vi?
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #13124 on: December 24, 2015, 09:28:10 PM »
So, how's the snow where you are Vi?

Shhhh we're not going to talk about the lack of snow here. *hits the snow button some more to compensate*