Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410270 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13020 on: December 18, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
We had exams ranging from two to four hours. But I did Science, and did it back in the 1950s, so probably no comparison. And there were never enough hours, then as now.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13021 on: December 18, 2015, 10:38:04 AM »
An amazing old lady customer visited a little while a go to pick up her order. She's well over 80 but looks about 60 (she made me guess her age, stating she's "eldgömul", "old as fire") and still drives a car, she says. She's been a model when she was young and going by the old photos she brought in that's no wonder... plus now I have some serious cravings for a late 40's style dress. As she left she randomly mentioned it would snow later today. I asked her how she knew since weather in Iceland is extremely unpredictable but she just repeated it would snow and now true enough, it's snowing.

WELL now that sounds like a story character right there... : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Natalie

• Tumblr
  • I love all cute things
« Reply #13022 on: December 18, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
So, I made a pie, here's the pic (with very bad light) :3

Native: :spain: (chilean)
(almost) Fluent: :usa: :england:
Learning: :france:
Wishlist: :norway: :japan: :italy: :brazil: (I can understand brazilian portuguese but not speak it or write it)

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #13023 on: December 18, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
So, I made a pie, here's the pic (with very bad light) :3

What kind of pie is it? It looks very pretty, I wanna eat it.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

TicTac

• I am a happy little TicTac
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #13024 on: December 18, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »
That looks like a really, really nice pie. I like pie ^_^

To contribute to the test conversation, the longest test I ever had I had this year in Grade 10, it was a two hours history essay. It was kind of relaxing, actually, because I had guessed the essay topic beforehand (they gave us sources to look at a few days beforehand to prepare ourselves, so I guessed from that) so I had a pretty good idea of what to do.
Fluent: :australia:
Know a few phrases: :china:
Know random words: :germany: :spain: (thanks Dora)
Want to learn, eventually: :finland:
Survived :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:

Natalie

• Tumblr
  • I love all cute things
« Reply #13025 on: December 18, 2015, 08:28:12 PM »
What kind of pie is it? It looks very pretty, I wanna eat it.

It's a pumpkin pie \o/
Native: :spain: (chilean)
(almost) Fluent: :usa: :england:
Learning: :france:
Wishlist: :norway: :japan: :italy: :brazil: (I can understand brazilian portuguese but not speak it or write it)

blackberryblossoms

• Tumblr
« Reply #13026 on: December 18, 2015, 11:18:56 PM »
Ahh! I still don't have a Christmas tree because apparently there is a Christmas tree famine or something and they aren't anywhere to be found and I am very sad about that.
:usa: native
:japan: learning
:sweden: learning
:chap9: Chapter break survivor

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #13027 on: December 18, 2015, 11:34:47 PM »
History. Essays were in four hours in third year. And during my master degree too...
hahahaha nooooo it was morning, it's just that the sun didn't rise till 10am. aaaand now it's going down again.
hahahahahha it's a six hour exam. you have to sit there for at least one hour. which i did......... but yeah it's not a good sign, is it.
subject was classical history (ancient greek/roman), and uh. im so bad at reading history books. so. yeah. yep.
But...but I also do some classical/ancient history and the exams were only two hours for me...and I left early... O__O Even my majors only have two hour exams....but maybe that's like...just a difference in universities....? :O
<_< my poor old university oh no...I guess they might be going easy on everyone here...to give us a chance or..something :/
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #13028 on: December 19, 2015, 12:35:03 AM »
I once slept through my alarm and woke up five minutes after my history final exam finished. I called the professor right away, and it turned out that the professor had another section of the same class one hour later, so he let me write the exam with the other class. Whew!
Another time, I had a migraine on the day of my physics final exam, so I went to the classroom wearing sunglasses and sat in the corner and aced the test.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13029 on: December 19, 2015, 05:47:50 AM »
WELL now that sounds like a story character right there... : D
Isn't it ? :D

But...but I also do some classical/ancient history and the exams were only two hours for me...and I left early... O__O Even my majors only have two hour exams....but maybe that's like...just a difference in universities....? :O
I'm pretty sure it's something like that. Look at Haiz and hir six hours for an essay ! ;)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13030 on: December 19, 2015, 06:38:51 AM »
<_< my poor old university oh no...I guess they might be going easy on everyone here...to give us a chance or..something :/
we don't have to sit there for all of six hours, so it's probably from being nice to us all "look how much time you've got! no stress!". I for one can't imagine spending hours and hours describing the democratic system of old athens........ then again i'm always done quickly and I'm bad at high wordcounts I guess.

I had a 4 hour exam once, and some "home exams" where you get a couple days to write some sort of essay or analysis.
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13031 on: December 19, 2015, 08:14:28 AM »
I for one can't imagine spending hours and hours describing the democratic system of old athens........
Oooooooh, trust me, you can use four hours for that ::) (Okay, more when you're an historian than in your studies, yes.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #13032 on: December 19, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »
we don't have to sit there for all of six hours, so it's probably from being nice to us all "look how much time you've got! no stress!". I for one can't imagine spending hours and hours describing the democratic system of old athens........ then again i'm always done quickly and I'm bad at high wordcounts I guess.

I had a 4 hour exam once, and some "home exams" where you get a couple days to write some sort of essay or analysis.
how much did you have to write for the exam?
For my ancient history exam there was a short answer section (each answer= 1+ pages) and an essay section (4+ pages) but this year there were only sets of paired questions and you had to pick one set and do a poem analysis (this was ancient literature so not...scary full on history or something like what you're probably doing agh) and then an essay about historical context...I think I wrote about Ovid maybe...I had not studied, barely read the texts, so the whole exam was a load of bs and I just ran out super early o__o

I've never had a home exam O___O thank god, it sounds horrifying because I can't concentrate at home XD I did have a giant research essay instead of an exam for my film unit though, which was a first....so maybe that's...kinda the same..? It was horrible. I neeeeed the formal exam room ;__; it's a weirdly calming and peaceful situation. You're surrounded by people in the same boat as you, but you're also separated and apart. I always have to finish early though so i don't have to interact with anyone afterwards <_<
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13033 on: December 19, 2015, 08:48:02 AM »
how much did you have to write for the exam?
For my ancient history exam there was a short answer section (each answer= 1+ pages) and an essay section (4+ pages) but this year there were only sets of paired questions and you had to pick one set and do a poem analysis (this was ancient literature so not...scary full on history or something like what you're probably doing agh) and then an essay about historical context...I think I wrote about Ovid maybe...I had not studied, barely read the texts, so the whole exam was a load of bs and I just ran out super early o__o

I've never had a home exam O___O thank god, it sounds horrifying because I can't concentrate at home XD I did have a giant research essay instead of an exam for my film unit though, which was a first....so maybe that's...kinda the same..? It was horrible. I neeeeed the formal exam room ;__; it's a weirdly calming and peaceful situation. You're surrounded by people in the same boat as you, but you're also separated and apart. I always have to finish early though so i don't have to interact with anyone afterwards <_<
uhh there wasn't any specified number of pages we had to write. I wrote 3, but that's. NOT A LOT.
the home exam doesn't HAVE to be done at home, you can go to a library or sit at school or write it, because honestly working at home is really hard. last time i was writing the home exam thing i ended up getting caught in a very dramatic thread on this forum and spent a whole day afterwards just crying hahahahaha. GOOD TIMES

auugh had to drive my brother to the city, it was dark and raining and everything is icy and we drove the road with Lots Cars and everything was awful, but i mADE IT and DIDNT CRY so that's PROGRESS.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:02:23 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13034 on: December 19, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
auugh had to drive my brother to the city, it was dark and raining and everything is icy and we drove the road with Lots Cars and everything was awful, but i mADE IT and DIDNT CRY so that's PROGRESS.

Whoo! That's not just progress, it's really AWESOME progress, because honestly a situation like that (dark + rain + ice) sounds really scary. Winter driving, ugh!

...Anyway. As for me, over here it's -28C and I just kind of want to curl up and hibernate all day and neglect all my responsibilities. Can somebody come by when it's April or so, and wake me up? Thanks.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge