Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387600 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13005 on: December 18, 2015, 03:27:12 AM »
Luck, Haiz! Hope it goes well!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #13006 on: December 18, 2015, 04:00:58 AM »
Sometimes slipping on the ice is like WHAM and you're down and you have no idea what happened, but other times it's like this one slow-motion movement where your foot just slides away from you and you just think "nooooooooooooooooooooo" while gently lying down on the ice against your will. Sometimes with your legs painfully folded beneath you.

Anyway I did some funny limping to the bus stop today
Why did I imagine those moments when you slow-mo fall but it's also really regal and graceful like a royal swan? XD But also painful. I hope you're ok XD

I've been watching the weather forecasts for SA with a mixture of horrified sympathy and shame-faced relief that it's not hitting my part of the country. Good luck! :(
Yeah. Where I live we're safe from just about everything, though the 2011 Queensland floods did shut down the area for a few days, but we weren't severely hit. I hope you are okay down there!
How come....I haven't heard anything about any weather things going on? D: What's currently happening?? All I saw of the news this evening (in the split second while dad was flicking through the channels like a toddler) was that there were gonna be....storms...? In SA??

In other seasonal news... our trusty sound system/ cd player thing has finally died after a power surge this morning. It was a good music player, serving our family for 22 solid years. It has played all the music that ever shaped my childhood, and provided surround sound for all the movies, Doctor Who, and Eurovision we watch. And now...just before concert and carols season,,,,it has been slain by one blow too many from the area's horrible horrible electricity supply. This is probably why dad has a dream of making the house fully independent...electricity-wise. <_<
But this ultimately means, tragedy of tragedies, that we will have to find SOMETHING ELSE to play the Traditional Christmas CD on. You can not have Christmas without the Traditional Christmas CD that I don't even know the name of, but I can tell you that it is at least an hour of continuous christmas song medley, all instrumental with a jolly piano, electronic harpsichord thing, many jingly bells and an abundance of key changes. I think I know it subconsciously off by heart by now X'D It's so horrible yet so comforting. XD XD XD AND NOW IT'S GONE.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:18:04 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Róisín

« Reply #13007 on: December 18, 2015, 04:27:07 AM »
Owl: hard news about your player - power surges have destroyed many pieces of our kit!

As to the weather, SA has been having a record-breaking December heatwave, coupled with the driest spring in more than a century. The fires around Pinery have already destroyed more area than last years Sampson Flat fires ( from which we were evacuated). Two people have died, at least. My garden is in trouble. A storm is forecast for tonight/tomorrow, but whether it brings rain or just lightning and more bushfires I don't know yet. Nothing to do but wait. Hence I'm spending more time on the forum than usual, because I'm alternating dashing out to soak bits of garden with lurking inside to avoid heatstroke. I'll let you know what happens.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13008 on: December 18, 2015, 05:12:08 AM »
Sorry to hear that about the cd player :c

welp, the exam went about as well as expected - I knew enough to write answers, but not very in-depth ones, and I left the scene five hours early. (But I wasn't the first to leave so there's that)
but upon going outside I got to see the beautiful sunrise, AND a double rainbow so maybe that's a good sign!
you'll know where to find me.

Róisín

« Reply #13009 on: December 18, 2015, 05:29:24 AM »
Haiz: you do exams at night?

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #13010 on: December 18, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »
Owl: hard news about your player - power surges have destroyed many pieces of our kit!

As to the weather, SA has been having a record-breaking December heatwave, coupled with the driest spring in more than a century. The fires around Pinery have already destroyed more area than last years Sampson Flat fires ( from which we were evacuated). Two people have died, at least. My garden is in trouble. A storm is forecast for tonight/tomorrow, but whether it brings rain or just lightning and more bushfires I don't know yet. Nothing to do but wait. Hence I'm spending more time on the forum than usual, because I'm alternating dashing out to soak bits of garden with lurking inside to avoid heatstroke. I'll let you know what happens.
OHHHHH CRUD! That's bad. Bloody hell. Keep safe D:

Sorry to hear that about the cd player :c

welp, the exam went about as well as expected - I knew enough to write answers, but not very in-depth ones, and I left the scene five hours early. (But I wasn't the first to leave so there's that)
but upon going outside I got to see the beautiful sunrise, AND a double rainbow so maybe that's a good sign!
Five hours early?? WHAT KIND OF EXAM WAS THIS??! THat is insane! D: My major exams only go for 2 hours, which is a relief after the random 3+ hour exams in college....but...but to leave FIVe hOUrs early...just how long was this exam and wHAT SUbJeCT was it?!?!?!?!? Oh my goSH YOU POOR HAIZ ;__;

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13011 on: December 18, 2015, 06:58:29 AM »
Five hours early?? WHAT KIND OF EXAM WAS THIS??! THat is insane! D: My major exams only go for 2 hours, which is a relief after the random 3+ hour exams in college....but...but to leave FIVe hOUrs early...just how long was this exam and wHAT SUbJeCT was it?!?!?!?!? Oh my goSH YOU POOR HAIZ ;__;
I had the same reaction, Owl. My longest exam at university was four hours, and not before the third year. (You really needed four hours !)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #13012 on: December 18, 2015, 07:06:50 AM »
I had the same reaction, Owl. My longest exam at university was four hours, and not before the third year. (You really needed four hours !)
D: D: What kinds of subjects are you guys taking?? Super sciencey / maths ones.....?

Mélusine

« Reply #13013 on: December 18, 2015, 07:14:33 AM »
D: D: What kinds of subjects are you guys taking?? Super sciencey / maths ones.....?
History. Essays were in four hours in third year. And during my master degree too...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13014 on: December 18, 2015, 09:09:44 AM »
An amazing old lady customer visited a little while a go to pick up her order. She's well over 80 but looks about 60 (she made me guess her age, stating she's "eldgömul", "old as fire") and still drives a car, she says. She's been a model when she was young and going by the old photos she brought in that's no wonder... plus now I have some serious cravings for a late 40's style dress. As she left she randomly mentioned it would snow later today. I asked her how she knew since weather in Iceland is extremely unpredictable but she just repeated it would snow and now true enough, it's snowing.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13015 on: December 18, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
Haiz: you do exams at night?
hahahaha nooooo it was morning, it's just that the sun didn't rise till 10am. aaaand now it's going down again.

hahahahahha it's a six hour exam. you have to sit there for at least one hour. which i did......... but yeah it's not a good sign, is it.
subject was classical history (ancient greek/roman), and uh. im so bad at reading history books. so. yeah. yep.

at least i got my post exam sushi with a friend! and now were gonna just. laze around and watch the office. aw yis

(she made me guess her age, stating she's "eldgömul", "old as fire")
OHHHHHH IS THAT WHAT ELDGAMMEL COMES FROM i never realized holy wow
also the lady sounds really cool, like some mythical person pretending to be human hahah
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

« Reply #13016 on: December 18, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »
As she left she randomly mentioned it would snow later today. I asked her how she knew since weather in Iceland is extremely unpredictable but she just repeated it would snow and now true enough, it's snowing.
Mmmh. Does Iceland has witches ? :D

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13017 on: December 18, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »
Mmmh. Does Iceland has witches ? :D

Or she had a prophetic dream last night...  ;)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13018 on: December 18, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »

My exams are all 3 hours, and we're also not allowed to leave in the first hour. For my history one I took about 2 hours.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13019 on: December 18, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
History. Essays were in four hours in third year. And during my master degree too...

Wow, I think my longest exam ever was 2 hours.  Of course, back then, we had fewer hours because they had only recently been invented. We had to hoard them.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: