Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387351 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12960 on: December 14, 2015, 06:40:20 PM »
So I saw this, liked it, and thought about you people on this forum: http://pulptastic.com/happens-sing-800-year-old-icelandic-hymn-train-station/

(I thought about sharing it in the "music in your language" thread but since it's not my language I decided not to)

I heard this a while back and I loved it so much it's so beautiful.

(Time to go and finally look up more music by Árstríðir...)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12961 on: December 14, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
I heard this a while back and I loved it so much it's so beautiful.

(Time to go and finally look up more music by Árstíðir...)

Here is their soundcloud

Listen to all of their music!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12962 on: December 14, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
Sc0ut: that is lovely! And I was much amused by the advertisement in the sidebar - carry backpacks for transporting cats. Haven't we seen that somewhere before?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12963 on: December 15, 2015, 03:11:55 PM »
So I saw this, liked it, and thought about you people on this forum: http://pulptastic.com/happens-sing-800-year-old-icelandic-hymn-train-station/

(I thought about sharing it in the "music in your language" thread but since it's not my language I decided not to)

Aw, I've sung that song for so many christmases,  it is so beautiful and now I feel nostalgic.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12964 on: December 15, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
i got a comixology account because i really wanted to catch up on lumberjanes, but then i discovered that i can read so many comics on there. so many. all these comics. im gonna read them. and i was in the middle of buying the next issues of a series, when i was asked to fill in my birth date. ok sure i'm 20 years old i'm gonna bypass all the age restrictions just you wait WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T BUY THESE COMICS

and i was puzzled for a solid ten minutes until i checked my profile, only to find out i had set my birth year as 2015. and i can't change it. so yeah i sent them a mail telling them to please believe me when i say i'm not actually zero years old, but i think the universe is telling me it's time to go to bed.

......... i think i had better control of my life at age zero
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12965 on: December 15, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
but i think the universe is telling me it's time to go to bed.
*Pats pats Haiz and goes to bed too, before thinking "one more time" and listen to the same song again*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #12966 on: December 16, 2015, 02:44:08 AM »
Okay, this is off-topic to everything right now, but I just bought tickets to see the new star wars film at midnight tonight, so yay! I'm really happy it's the holidays now (for me) since that means I can do stuff like this.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12967 on: December 16, 2015, 06:27:54 AM »
I just had a customer wander around the store while his wife was placing an order, and suddenly pick up my air pressure rivet gun and peer into the nozzle. I immediately shouted a warning to not do that and he got all angry because apparently he owns four nail guns and knows how they work... I mean a rivet gun is nothing on level with nail guns but shooting a rivet at your eye at close distance is still not a good idea, I promise.  >:(
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12968 on: December 16, 2015, 07:06:24 AM »
i got a comixology account because i really wanted to catch up on lumberjanes, but then i discovered that i can read so many comics on there. so many. all these comics. im gonna read them. and i was in the middle of buying the next issues of a series, when i was asked to fill in my birth date. ok sure i'm 20 years old i'm gonna bypass all the age restrictions just you wait WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T BUY THESE COMICS

and i was puzzled for a solid ten minutes until i checked my profile, only to find out i had set my birth year as 2015. and i can't change it. so yeah i sent them a mail telling them to please believe me when i say i'm not actually zero years old, but i think the universe is telling me it's time to go to bed.

......... i think i had better control of my life at age zero

Sorry, can't stop giggling at the idea of a tiny, newborn child being born into the world and the first darned thing it does is start making internet accounts. This almost feels like satire. :D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #12969 on: December 16, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »
I just had a customer wander around the store while his wife was placing an order, and suddenly pick up my air pressure rivet gun and peer into the nozzle. I immediately shouted a warning to not do that and he got all angry because apparently he owns four nail guns and knows how they work... I mean a rivet gun is nothing on level with nail guns but shooting a rivet at your eye at close distance is still not a good idea, I promise.  >:(

But...if you own a nail gun and know how they work...wouldn't you know not to peer closely at the nozzle?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12970 on: December 16, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »
But...if you own a nail gun and know how they work...wouldn't you know not to peer closely at the nozzle?

I know right, or at least remove the air hose first. Some people would probably do better with just an old fashioned hammer and nails.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12971 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »
I just had a customer wander around the store while his wife was placing an order, and suddenly pick up my air pressure rivet gun and peer into the nozzle.
... and that's why, between "store" and "workshop", there usually are "staff only" signs, even if they're just dangling from the ceiling within a single room ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12972 on: December 16, 2015, 08:29:10 AM »
... and that's why, between "store" and "workshop", there usually are "staff only" signs, even if they're just dangling from the ceiling within a single room ...

By my personal experience the only real function of signs like that is that if something should happen I could then point out that we made clear it's not allowed to go poke at things...

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12973 on: December 16, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
Laufey, some people are just completely inveterate pickfiddlers, and will mess with your tools, equipment and anything else that comes to hand. Without even noticing that they are doing so. And quite apart from injuring themselves because something they have casually picked up is sharp/corrosive/poisonous or in some other way dangerous, they break things. Sometimes completely irreplaceable things.

I was brought up to never, ever touch other people's stuff without a clear invitation. That piece of common courtesy and good manners seems to have largely disappeared these years, sadly. (Goes off grumbling darkly about one young man who does it all the time, and whom I can't slap down as hard as I would wish........)
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12974 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
By my personal experience the only real function of signs like that is that if something should happen I could then point out that we made clear it's not allowed to go poke at things...
For those who just cannot take a hint, yes, that's what it does - and what you can do with them short of trying to wrestle them back out.

The rather orderly ones are a different matter. Most of those wouldn't touch the shop's power tools in the first place, but giving them a hint to also stay out of the elbow room of the staff who would pick them up and wield them in whichever way might also be a Good Thing (tm).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15