Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387445 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12885 on: December 09, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »
SIGHS... a fun day to be wrangling with calendar prints, that's for sure.
Yikes, that sounds bad. At least you caught them before shipping them out!

Too. Many. Persons. In. The. House. Huuuuuuu...
*Disappears early than needed. Nearly laughs, remembering the friend who told her she was "sociable"*
Lord, I know that problem. I've delayed meals by many many hours before now because there were strangers in the kitchen who just would not leave.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12886 on: December 09, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
Yikes, that sounds bad. At least you caught them before shipping them out!
it could've been worse. it's BEEN worse. Having missing pages is way preferable to having existing prints Very Badly Printed, because then it's just wasted paper >://

and im out of envelopes, too.........
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12887 on: December 09, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
it could've been worse. it's BEEN worse. Having missing pages is way preferable to having existing prints Very Badly Printed, because then it's just wasted paper >://
Yeah, I guess. Does that happen often? (how are you getting them printed, btw?)

and im out of envelopes, too.........
The fun never stops!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12888 on: December 09, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »
Yeah, I guess. Does that happen often? (how are you getting them printed, btw?)
it happened a lot some other times, but this and last year have been pretty accident-free! because printer shops are super expensive, we use one of the printers at the school where mom works. It was easier before, when mom worked at a school very close to where we live, but now she works almost an hour away haha........ also, fact, did you know that the schools here have to change all their copy/printer machines every third year or something? even though it works perfectly? and that it takes about three years to finally figure out how the printer even works

i think i might start using printer shops in the future, and get the calendars put together more professionally than with some office supplies..... and maybe open up shop on etsy or storenvy and just make the whole process a lot easier.................... oh wait i'll be in canada next year how will this even work
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12889 on: December 09, 2015, 05:02:20 PM »
How many is "too many" in this case?
Nine persons in ~70m2, ten persons with me T_T How could my friend say I'm more sociable than her ? I'm running away from people when they're too many/speaking too loud ? They were ten when I came back. Right now, they're "only" four, playing loudly, and I'm alone in my room with earphones and music. Which sociability ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12890 on: December 09, 2015, 05:45:23 PM »
Melusine, do you live in a party house or something? That would be awful for a person who wants to hear herself think. I've lived in sharehouses on occasion, but those weren't too bad because it was usually the case that we all worked different shifts. And shiftworkers know that if they are boisterous and loud at four in the morning, someone else will be boisterous and loud while they are trying to sleep at four in the afternoon!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12891 on: December 09, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »
*lies down*
I'll just take a quick 10 minute nap.
*40 minutes later*
Welp, apparently I needed more than a 10 minute nap.

I'm just glad I didn't have anything important to do this afternoon!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12892 on: December 09, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »
Melusine, do you live in a party house or something? That would be awful for a person who wants to hear herself think. I've lived in sharehouses on occasion, but those weren't too bad because it was usually the case that we all worked different shifts. And shiftworkers know that if they are boisterous and loud at four in the morning, someone else will be boisterous and loud while they are trying to sleep at four in the afternoon!
Actually, we're supposed to be three living here, including one who bought the little house. We're four since two months maybe ? With only three rooms, so the last one is sleeping in the living-room. I was living alone before, and even if I made progresses I'm still and will probably always remain an introvert.
On Wednesday afternoon, I'm used to see more persons here, the teachers don't work and gather together for playing cards or a board game. (They're used to see me disappearing in my room.) But today, they made a surprise birthday for one of them, involving more persons, more noise, more everything, and I hadn't enough sociability :) Honestly, it could be so worst ! But yeah, we're not the same kind of persons and don't exactly have the same habits...
Guess who was happy to learn she'll be alone during Christmas' vacations ? :D Yes, I know, normal people are supposed to be happy to be with they families/a lot of friends at this time of the year.

Lord, I know that problem. I've delayed meals by many many hours before now because there were strangers in the kitchen who just would not leave.
Oh, yes, the "I don't know this person, nobody told me he/she will come, I'll stay in my room, he/she may leave..." *Pats pats*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #12893 on: December 09, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
SIGHS... a fun day to be wrangling with calendar prints, that's for sure. I was so happy that all the prints are in order this year, due to them being prints and not direct copies, because I can tell you a thing or two about having to put 50+ copies of each month into order. BUT, due to Mysterious Circumstances surrounding the printer at my mom's school, several months are missing.

20 calendars missing january and february.
19 calendars missing all of january-august.
And 1 calendar put together with another mishap, missing june, july and august.

FUN TIMES FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY hahaha. Also the little heart attack at thinking maybe all those copies I've sent out already are missing months, too, but no. The previous batch is fine. PHEW

to be honest, we've had worse mishaps before. Some (all) printers just want to watch the world burn.

I had to print calendars for my job and I can confirm that printers are, in fact, the devil. My condolences.
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #12894 on: December 09, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
I had to print calendars for my job and I can confirm that printers are, in fact, the devil. My condolences.
I heartily agree. They are the horcruxes of satan. If I could, I would set mine on fire and gleefully smash it with a sledgehammer while it burns. And maybe have a nice mix tape playing in the background....calming classical music maybe. Or Kpop. Either or.

Today we got some nice christmas cards from relatives I've never met but I like them because they send us nice cards.
This was in one...

Transcript because the photo is blurry:
"[...] Hope you are all well. We are now, but John was bitten by a white-tail spider and nearly lost his leg through the infection. It took about 4 to 5 months until he was fully recovered."
Aaaaaaaaa
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Róisín

« Reply #12895 on: December 09, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »
*patpats Owl* Whitetails are a pest. I killed one that was in my cat's drinking bowl a couple of days ago. They aren't as dangerous to cats as are redbacks, but I wouldn't want Agatha to be bitten. Best thing is to treat the bites promptly. Some antibiotics work, as does honey. Apparently the problem is bacteria as much as it is venom.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12896 on: December 09, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »
*patpats Owl* Whitetails are a pest. I killed one that was in my cat's drinking bowl a couple of days ago. They aren't as dangerous to cats as are redbacks, but I wouldn't want Agatha to be bitten. Best thing is to treat the bites promptly. Some antibiotics work, as does honey. Apparently the problem is bacteria as much as it is venom.
yeahhhhh -__-
I've killed about three this week, one last night was in the cat's bed XD Because of the blankets it was really hard to squish so I just had to keep whacking it with a shoe X'D

I just think it's kinda funny that we only hear about these things in cheery christmas cards X'D

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #12897 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »
"[...] Hope you are all well. We are now, but John was bitten by a white-tail spider and nearly lost his leg through the infection. It took about 4 to 5 months until he was fully recovered."

In the cause of avoiding even more terror to those of our fellow minnions already convinced that setting foot in Australia will cause almost instant death I feel that I must risk injecting some scientific controversy and point out that there is no scientifically established link between white tailed spiders and necrotising ulcers. In all cases studied where people have reported developing ulcers after a white tailed spider bite they turned out never to have noticed a bite, and just assumed they had been bitten by a white tailed spider because they developed an ulcer. Additionally in 130 investigated cases where people were definitely bitten by white tailed spiders, not one person developed an ulcer.

So, come to Australia! Your skin may fall off, but it won't be because of the spiders! ;)

(Probably)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

« Reply #12898 on: December 09, 2015, 11:36:59 PM »
No, your skin is more likely to fall off because of the insanely high UV levels at present. I've had several whitetail bites, and they hurt. But only one ever ulcerated, and that healed in about six weeks. Still not a pleasant experience!

For the benefit of nervous Minnions: most of the nasty wildlife is outside the cities, and in most cities the worst you'll see is a redback spider. Or a whitetail. Occasionally Adelaide, my nearest big city, gets a snake in the CBD, that has come in from the surrounding parklands, and most cities have possums, but it's nothing to worry about. I have seen kangaroos in the streets of Canberra, in the small hours of the morning, again because the bush is close in to the city.

In the bush itself, sensible precautions like closed shoes, long sleeves and trousers, not putting your hands or feet where you can't see, and making a bit of noise as you move about so you don't startle anything, will generally see you right. Says the person who is about to go out and work in her wild garden in sandals and a t-shirt, because it is * so * hot.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12899 on: December 09, 2015, 11:40:12 PM »
In the cause of avoiding even more terror to those of our fellow minnions already convinced that setting foot in Australia will cause almost instant death I feel that I must risk injecting some scientific controversy and point out that there is no scientifically established link between white tailed spiders and necrotising ulcers. In all cases studied where people have reported developing ulcers after a white tailed spider bite they turned out never to have noticed a bite, and just assumed they had been bitten by a white tailed spider because they developed an ulcer. Additionally in 130 investigated cases where people were definitely bitten by white tailed spiders, not one person developed an ulcer.

So, come to Australia! Your skin may fall off, but it won't be because of the spiders! ;)

(Probably)
XD Old people logic I guess \o/

And oh yes! Do come visit, everyone!
No, your skin is more likely to fall off because of the insanely high UV levels at present. I've had several whitetail bites, and they hurt. But only one ever ulcerated, and that healed in about six weeks. Still not a pleasant experience!

For the benefit of nervous Minnions: most of the nasty wildlife is outside the cities, and in most cities the worst you'll see is a redback spider. Or a whitetail. Occasionally Adelaide, my nearest big city, gets a snake in the CBD, that has come in from the surrounding parklands, and most cities have possums, but it's nothing to worry about. I have seen kangaroos in the streets of Canberra, in the small hours of the morning, again because the bush is close in to the city.

In the bush itself, sensible precautions like closed shoes, long sleeves and trousers, not putting your hands or feet where you can't see, and making a bit of noise as you move about so you don't startle anything, will generally see you right. Says the person who is about to go out and work in her wild garden in sandals and a t-shirt, because it is * so * hot.
Aw man the UV -__- If I'm still alive in like, 40 years and all my skin hasn't fallen off/ been removed by doctors, I'll count myself lucky.