Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410118 times)

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12870 on: December 08, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
This reminds me of that accursed 'you are now breathing manually' thing that occasionally still gets me.
I get that too, but I meant that sometimes I realize that I haven't been breathing for a while and I have to make myself start breathing again.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #12871 on: December 08, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »
I can't remember ever having a particular fear of anything. I did find spiders frightening for a while, but that was... only because my mother was frightened of them, and I've always had a sort of thing where if I don't know what to think about something, I observe and see what other people do, and copy their reactions. Sometimes I even "tried on" certain opinions and reactions to things and stuff, just to see what it was like and if it really made any sense (and in part, to discover why people behaved so irrationally). (As I've become older I've been able to form my own opinions and thoughts about things, of course, but that is where it starts.)

I suppose the one thing I hate more than any other (not a fear as such), that is directly related to childhood trauma, is unfinished endings/badly formed partings. If you have to leave, you dashed well should leave with all ties tied off, not without telling people, not without saying a proper goodbye to all those who have the right to one, and definitely not without letting those who care hug you goodbye (this is what bothered me in Wolf Children).

This is directly related to when I first switched countries, at the ripe old age of 18 months. I cannot remember it. But apparently my parents had never told me that my grandmother was not coming with us, and I did not register that she was not until we were walking through boarding and my grandmother stayed behind. More than one person was traumatized that day. Apparently I screamed and cried and the betrayal in that scream and crying was so potent that I left all my family that were there with memories so vivid that whenever they relate it now their voices break and I can tell they are reliving it almost as potently as the first time.

I used to cry myself sick after leaving people for good. I think I was about 11 when I locked it all up. I haven't cried since at a parting, but I don't know if that is better. The feelings don't go away. Not that they ever did go away when I cried...

...I also hate telephones and Skype for a similar reason. They give you a poor, tinny copy of a person and though sometimes that can be enough to make you happy, most times it only increases the longing. I prefer text.
Am notified of private messages via email.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12872 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
That one gets me every time. Y U DO DIS
Mwahahahahaa :D

...I also hate telephones and Skype for a similar reason. They give you a poor, tinny copy of a person and though sometimes that can be enough to make you happy, most times it only increases the longing. I prefer text.
It's funny, I've always preferred the exact opposite. I've found there are too many opportunities for misunderstanding in text, be it facebook messenger or a written letter. Skype/phones lets you get all those non-verbal parts of interaction (tone, expression, gestures and the like) and I personally find that easier.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12873 on: December 08, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »
Sometimes I forget to breathe.

I didn't realize that was biologically possible!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #12874 on: December 08, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
Sometimes I forget to breathe.

Me too! I'll be concentrating on something really hard and suddenly be startled by a big inhale because my body has realised that I'm not breathing and it had better do something about it.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12875 on: December 08, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »
Hmmm I have to fly to Melbourne this week and... I don't wanna....
1. Planes.
2. City.
3. What to wear, what to do there??
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12876 on: December 08, 2015, 07:40:53 PM »
nghhhhh my big phobia/fear/ick is dental surgery.
Spoiler: lets be real you dont wanna read this • show
When I was like 10 I had to get two baby-teeth out. I wanted to let them fall out on their own and was majorly flipping out about it, and also it was just a particularly bad procedure (my mom overheard the hygienists talking about how those were the biggest baby-tooth roots they'd ever seen). Then, another two a few years later, on laughing gas this time but the sedative was terrible and they were also difficult teeth to remove apparently and the people were acting like I was 6 (admittedly, I was insistently pointing out that the book had a picture of a donkey in it while the sedative kicked in, but not at the setting-up appointment.). Then, a couple years ago, I had to get a thing done to put a hook (to attach rubber bands to) on a tooth that hadn't come in but felt strongly that sideways was a good direction, which involved removing a piece of gum. (!) The surgeon guy kept telling me to relax, as I was making it difficult. :I

So, yeah, wisdom teeth are going to be fun. :P
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #12877 on: December 08, 2015, 09:17:16 PM »
Hmmm I have to fly to Melbourne this week and... I don't wanna....
1. Planes.
2. City.
3. What to wear, what to do there??

On the rare occasions I make it over to that side of the continent I always check out what's on at the galleries and museums. Saw a great exhibition of historical apocalyptic engravings and books and things last time. But then I am an enormous nerd :)

Oh, and (again as an enormous nerd) I always pay a visit to Minotaur.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12878 on: December 08, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »
Had this lying around since summer, not sure if I've posted it here.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12879 on: December 09, 2015, 02:34:01 AM »
Purple Wyrm: What!?! Minotaur Books is still going? It's wonderful, or was when last I was there. Unless it is much changed, well worth a visit.

Owl: Minotaur, as mentioned. They used to be in Swanston Street, but I think are now in Flinders Street? Also: the State Library in Swanston Street - worth going just to look up at the dome from inside the Reading Room, which is a treasure in itself, harking back to English library reading rooms of the early to mid 1800s. And the Lilydale marble in the foyer has graptolite fossils. The Museum, same area. Back when I lived in Melbourne, the Art Gallery was there too, but now it has moved from the old goldrush-era stone buildings to a modern one on the other side of Princes Bridge. Still amazing collections though, and Princes Bridge itself is worth a look if you like curious old things.

Also up the Museum end of town, see Chinatown in Little Bourke Street. Eat at the Kun Ming, which is no longer the fan-tan den it was in my day, but still serves amazing food, and if you're sensitive to food chemicals, I've never had a bad reaction from anything they served, and they are not insanely expensive. Chinatown is mostly Little Bourke and Little Lonsdale Streets, and the old cobbled lanes in between. Go and see the cobbled back alleys where some of the Phryne Fisher tales were filmed.

Off Collins Street is the Block Arcade. Beautiful mosaic floors, interesting architecture and little shops. Stand in the middle of the arcade, look up and see Gog and Magog, statues of Giants out of English Folklore. Imagine the place about a hundred and sixty years ago, when 'taking a turn around the Block' was the fashionable promenade for upperclass twits.

See the Shrine of Remembrance on St Kilda Road, with Kipling's poem inscribed around it. There's a sculpture park between the Shrine and the Myer Music Bowl, which itself is worth a look, and if you keep walking east from there you will find the Melbourne Botanic Gardens, which are a treasure in and of themselves, and have lots of shady cool spots even on stinking hot days. Sadly, the old tea rooms are gone, but the lake is lovely, with black swans.

Have high tea at the Windsor Hotel in Spring Street, then walk across to the Treasury Gardens to see the old conservatory, and possums in the trees (though maybe you've seen enough possums yourself?). Also the Exhibition Buildings, Ola Cohn's Fairy Tree, Captain Cook's Cottage (yes, the original), and the Miniature Village.

If you like steam trains, go up to Ferntree Gully and see Puffing Billy (though you can't ride it in summer, I think, because fire bans).

Anyway, that's a few of the things you can do in Melbourne, before you even get to the suburbs (or under the city, where are all these lovely brick-faced early nineteenth century tunnels and storm drains, or out to Carlton where Lygon Street has the best coffee, and Drummond Street has an old house with kangaroo/dragon gargoyles on the roof, and........)
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12880 on: December 09, 2015, 03:14:22 AM »
Purple Wyrm: What!?! Minotaur Books is still going? It's wonderful, or was when last I was there. Unless it is much changed, well worth a visit.

Owl: Minotaur, as mentioned. They used to be in Swanston Street, but I think are now in Flinders Street? Also: the State Library in Swanston Street - worth going just to look up at the dome from inside the Reading Room, which is a treasure in itself, harking back to English library reading rooms of the early to mid 1800s. And the Lilydale marble in the foyer has graptolite fossils. The Museum, same area. Back when I lived in Melbourne, the Art Gallery was there too, but now it has moved from the old goldrush-era stone buildings to a modern one on the other side of Princes Bridge. Still amazing collections though, and Princes Bridge itself is worth a look if you like curious old things.

Also up the Museum end of town, see Chinatown in Little Bourke Street. Eat at the Kun Ming, which is no longer the fan-tan den it was in my day, but still serves amazing food, and if you're sensitive to food chemicals, I've never had a bad reaction from anything they served, and they are not insanely expensive. Chinatown is mostly Little Bourke and Little Lonsdale Streets, and the old cobbled lanes in between. Go and see the cobbled back alleys where some of the Phryne Fisher tales were filmed.

Off Collins Street is the Block Arcade. Beautiful mosaic floors, interesting architecture and little shops. Stand in the middle of the arcade, look up and see Gog and Magog, statues of Giants out of English Folklore. Imagine the place about a hundred and sixty years ago, when 'taking a turn around the Block' was the fashionable promenade for upperclass twits.

See the Shrine of Remembrance on St Kilda Road, with Kipling's poem inscribed around it. There's a sculpture park between the Shrine and the Myer Music Bowl, which itself is worth a look, and if you keep walking east from there you will find the Melbourne Botanic Gardens, which are a treasure in and of themselves, and have lots of shady cool spots even on stinking hot days. Sadly, the old tea rooms are gone, but the lake is lovely, with black swans.

Have high tea at the Windsor Hotel in Spring Street, then walk across to the Treasury Gardens to see the old conservatory, and possums in the trees (though maybe you've seen enough possums yourself?). Also the Exhibition Buildings, Ola Cohn's Fairy Tree, Captain Cook's Cottage (yes, the original), and the Miniature Village.

If you like steam trains, go up to Ferntree Gully and see Puffing Billy (though you can't ride it in summer, I think, because fire bans).

Anyway, that's a few of the things you can do in Melbourne, before you even get to the suburbs (or under the city, where are all these lovely brick-faced early nineteenth century tunnels and storm drains, or out to Carlton where Lygon Street has the best coffee, and Drummond Street has an old house with kangaroo/dragon gargoyles on the roof, and........)
Ah! Thanks!
I only have 6 hours tops though, and I don't know where any of those places are...except the national gallery I think...that's near that weird big train station place right? But up the road a bit? Will I need to take a tram or bus or taxi or anything to see those cool things? :O (also I am broke HAHAHEHEHO) And what type of bag should I take....are there like...robberies and things there...? D:
The last time I went there I was only out and about the actual city in the wee hours before shops were open, so there were next to no people...and then again in the afternoon running through crowds to race to the airport XD Nightmare o__o
And also, I will be with my mum and sisters all day, so I gotta factor their stuff in too...which is probably shopping. Endless shopping.
Which I should have done this or last week so I would have something nice to wear there ;_; aaaagghhhh

:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12881 on: December 09, 2015, 04:01:39 AM »
Airports and hotels should have tourist maps of Melbourne, or you might find one online. Where are you staying in Melbourne? Flinders Street Station is the big old one with the steps and the row of clocks, on the corner of Flinders and Swanston, and Minotaur is quite near there. 'Under the Clocks' is a traditional Melbourne spot for people to arrange to meet. If you stand under the clocks looking out, across the road is Young and Jackson's pub with the famous painting of Chloe in the upstairs lounge (she's worth a look - warning though, classical nude). From the same spot, the bridge with fancy ironwork behind and to your right is Princes Bridge, across it is the art gallery, Shrine and Botanic Gardens, and the Music Bowl. By the way, look for Guilfoyle's Volcano in the Gardens.

Look up Swanston and you'll see the big shopping district. Next cross street after Flinders is Flinders Lane, then Collins (where the Block is), Little Collins, Bourke, Little Bourke,(where the Kun Ming is, just in from Swanston), Lonsdale, Little Lon and so on - it's a simple grid system, not all over the place like some cities.

Trams and cabs are best, maybe a cab to the gardens, but the rest is mostly walking distance. Check out a map before you go.

One of those bags you sling across your chest is good. Melbourne likely has more crime than Hobart, way less than Sydney. The usual rule if you're worried - stay out of dark alleys and away from people who make you feel nervous, try to look as if you know where you are going, and if you get lost ask a traffic cop or an old lady - and always have a map so people can show you where things are. Melbourne even has information stands, and station staff are generally helpful.

Last time somebody tried to snatch my bag in a city I broke his elbow and called a cop, because he was rough and I could just as easily have been a genuinely helpless little old lady rather than myself. That sort of thing annoys me. He didn't succeed because I had the bag on a long strap slung across my body as described. But incidents like that are rare, especially in main streets in daytime. Don't worry too much, and have a good time in Melbourne! I don't enjoy crowds, stink and heat myself, hence the suggestions of gardens.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12882 on: December 09, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »
SIGHS... a fun day to be wrangling with calendar prints, that's for sure. I was so happy that all the prints are in order this year, due to them being prints and not direct copies, because I can tell you a thing or two about having to put 50+ copies of each month into order. BUT, due to Mysterious Circumstances surrounding the printer at my mom's school, several months are missing.

20 calendars missing january and february.
19 calendars missing all of january-august.
And 1 calendar put together with another mishap, missing june, july and august.

FUN TIMES FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY hahaha. Also the little heart attack at thinking maybe all those copies I've sent out already are missing months, too, but no. The previous batch is fine. PHEW

to be honest, we've had worse mishaps before. Some (all) printers just want to watch the world burn.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:03:15 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12883 on: December 09, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »
Too. Many. Persons. In. The. House. Huuuuuuu...
*Disappears early than needed. Nearly laughs, remembering the friend who told her she was "sociable"*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12884 on: December 09, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
Too. Many. Persons. In. The. House. Huuuuuuu...
*Disappears early than needed. Nearly laughs, remembering the friend who told her she was "sociable"*

How many is "too many" in this case?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: