Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387452 times)

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12345 on: November 18, 2015, 01:19:23 AM »
Send viola books?
The problem is that I have the points but not the money!
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12346 on: November 18, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
I knowwwwwww but the alternative is tying myself down so that I do not buy everything I touch.

Or blinders. They won't stop the damage entirely but will reduce it somewhat.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #12347 on: November 18, 2015, 04:00:31 AM »
There will soon be a chance to combine an interest in Kalevala with a colouring hobby: A colouring book called Monstra Kalevala will be published by Salakirjat, and it will include colourable pictures of the mythological monsters, creatures and lost souls of Kalevala. The pictures have all been drawn by Heli Levänen and inspired by old Finnish stories, poems, decorations and cordons.

I think I'll have to buy this ;)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12348 on: November 18, 2015, 06:35:59 AM »
pffffff barney the storm. I searched up a list of what we call our storms, because we have the naming system here too, but the storms get like... really norwegian names and it's hard for me to take them seriously? "NJÅL" oh my gods. and "Hårek" which is the name of a comic viking so...... that's........ yeah. And then there's "Ole", and "Ivar" (oh wait i remember ivar), "Berit" and "Tuva" are cuddly grandma names, and here's "Emil"- WAIT A MINUTE

also
*squints in direction of windows* is that
snow
or really thick frost
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12349 on: November 18, 2015, 06:57:58 AM »
pffffff barney the storm. I searched up a list of what we call our storms, because we have the naming system here too, but the storms get like... really norwegian names and it's hard for me to take them seriously?

Iceland doesn't even try naming them. There's a limited amount of accepted Icelandic names and by now we'd be going through the list the umpteeth time... Iceland does name winters though if they're really bad, and the name tends to describe the winter's worst problem somehow. Like we have "Famine Winter", "Cow Death Winter", "Horse Bane", "Big Frost Winter" and so forth. There's 33 of them listed, 34 if last winter is counted among them (and it would be the first named winter after the year 1918).

EDIT: ok, so I was reading up on the big winters because it's very quiet in the shop today, and found a text describing one of them:
"Tuttugu vetrum seinna en Kvæða-Anna var merkt, kom svo mikið hallæri á Íslandi, að hún lánaði Þingeyraklaustri sex vættir smjörs."
= Twenty years after Anna the Poet was burnmarked came such a bad famine to Iceland, that she loaned the monastery at Þingeyrar 480 pounds of butter.

I actually have no idea what 6 vættir translates to, but in another source I managed to find the sum was marked as 480 pounds. I also found nothing more about this woman who apparently was better off than a monastery, known for her poetic skills and burnmarked for... what? Why?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:30:12 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12350 on: November 18, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Regarding the UK naming storms, this isn't actually the first time in recent memory this has happened :P There was a somewhat unofficial (but glorious) moment four years ago when everyone seemed to unanimously agree that the huge storm causing a mess would be called "hurricane bawbag" ("bawbag" being the word for "scrotum" up in Scotland). It caught on so much that even some news anchors would use the name, and there was a Facebook page you could follow which would give you updates and insults in very Glaswegian English  ^-^

It was a pretty big storm, and so bad that lectures were cancelled that day and my roommate was blown into the road and almost run over by a lorry o.O but despite it all, my friends and I still look back at it fondly :3

Oh, and also that would be when this famous trampoline video was recorded:

I love Scottish accents  :))

Barney is a dumb name for a storm.....
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #12351 on: November 18, 2015, 08:37:48 AM »
More on storms, school in my area of the Pacific Northwest has been cancelled due to about half the schools in the district losing power (my neighborhood still has power as can probably be deduced from the fact I am writing this). This was caused by 40-60 mph winds and drenching rain the likes of which I have never seen (this was actual, real rain; hardly anything harder than mild drizzle ever falls here). Of course, I probably wouldn't have been able to go to school even if it hadn't been cancelled because of the eight or so inches of floodwater on the road. Yes, I am perfectly fine. School would be nice, but weather is also interesting. :)

(The naming-of-storms-thing is actually an official thing? I thought all of that was entirely spontaneous.)

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12352 on: November 18, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »
I knowwwwwww but the alternative is tying myself down so that I do not buy everything I touch.

Amazon is a dangerous site.  It's so EASY to buy 5 or 10 books with one click.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Agrasshopper

« Reply #12353 on: November 18, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
More on storms, school in my area of the Pacific Northwest has been cancelled due to about half the schools in the district losing power (my neighborhood still has power as can probably be deduced from the fact I am writing this). This was caused by 40-60 mph winds and drenching rain the likes of which I have never seen (this was actual, real rain; hardly anything harder than mild drizzle ever falls here). Of course, I probably wouldn't have been able to go to school even if it hadn't been cancelled because of the eight or so inches of floodwater on the road. Yes, I am perfectly fine. School would be nice, but weather is also interesting. :)

(The naming-of-storms-thing is actually an official thing? I thought all of that was entirely spontaneous.)

Oh hey, just about the same thing happened to me last night, also in the pacific northwest. The power was out all night and randomly turned back on at about 4, which was bad because I had forgotten to turn off my light. Sadly school has not been canceled because they managed to fix it.
:usa: Native
:spain: Learning

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #12354 on: November 18, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »

My response to that really is to see if I can get it through the library. Take a picture, or make a note, and then look for it at the library. If I really really like it after that, I might get a copy to add to my collection. 

This of course doesn't count for things that are rarer items though. I have a lot of Japanese literature because it couldn't be found at the library.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12355 on: November 18, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »
Amazon is a dangerous site.  It's so EASY to buy 5 or 10 books with one click.

Why would you tell me that. Why.

In other news I am tutoring German for the first time today. Hopefully it goes well.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #12356 on: November 18, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
Ahhh... Habitica... The site that I visited for two days and then left forever. My avatar is probably dead by now, I'm a horrible person. :'(

Today I was frying some rice balls and fearing for my life, when the cooking oil just exploded and flew directly to my left eye. Thankfully, it just hit my eyelid, but it was pretty scary. I asked my mom to finish the thing, because I was injured in battle, and she did it like it was nothing!! How?? Is there some secret way to fry stuff that I don't know about?

native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #12357 on: November 18, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
Today I was frying some rice balls and fearing for my life, when the cooking oil just exploded and flew directly to my left eye. Thankfully, it just hit my eyelid, but it was pretty scary. I asked my mom to finish the thing, because I was injured in battle, and she did it like it was nothing!! How?? Is there some secret way to fry stuff that I don't know about?

I just avoid it by never frying things. Frying scares me. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #12358 on: November 18, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »
If it's any help, I managed to blow up a fried egg yesterday- you're not alone.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #12359 on: November 18, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
Oh come on, frying is amazing! It makes everything taste super good.
The trick is to not have the temperature on too high, then it won't spit at you. And always make sure there's enough oil.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: