Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409182 times)

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12330 on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
Random moment of the day - pouring out tortilla chips, made by a company that only makes tortilla chips, and finding a single french fry. I am so confused.

I wonder, though, whether I could handle larger cities. I really have no experience with them, living where I do - I've only visited "large cities" for tiny amounts of time. Where I live, you can go anywhere in-town and probably meet somebody you know - and if you don't, chances are you'll end up in conversation with a total stranger. Rexburg's a weird place.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12331 on: November 17, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »
Random moment of the day - pouring out tortilla chips, made by a company that only makes tortilla chips, and finding a single french fry. I am so confused.

Ew. Like in a bag of chips? That's weird and a little gross....

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #12332 on: November 17, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »
I love going into several shops in order to find gifts, but it's often half a trap for me.
Brain : Hooooooo, look, a feather pattern !
Me : Yes, I saw it, and I already have a case with this pattern for my needles.
Brain : Mmmh, that's right. But hooooooo, look, a flower crown pattern !
Me : Iiiiiiit's beautiful, but I don't think I'll have an use for that...
Brain : Well. Okay then, but hooooooo, a little fox !
Me : *Facepalm*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12333 on: November 17, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »
Ew. Like in a bag of chips? That's weird and a little gross....

Yep, straight from a bag of chips. It was also a little soggy, for some reason.
Maybe I shouldn't have eaten those chips...

I love going into several shops in order to find gifts, but it's often half a trap for me.

Surefire cure for this? Have no money! Next thing you know your wistful desires to purchase everything in sight will be gone... as well as your food and housing, but eh...

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12334 on: November 17, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »

Oho, I see we have the same problem. : D Any gift-seeking trip is bound to result in me wanting... things... even if I'm looking for someone else. u-u
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12335 on: November 17, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »
Here in the UK, we have just this week decided to start naming storms, like they do in America for hurricanes. Which means the howling wind and torrential rain we're currently experiencing - which blew down a tree near my house, according to one of the people I live with who was brave enough to go outdoors - is now all the fault of 'Storm Barney'.
I don't know how well that name does in other cultures but over here, well... it's hard to think of a dafter-sounding name for a pretty major storm than 'Barney'.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12336 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:57 PM »
Here in the UK, we have just this week decided to start naming storms, like they do in America for hurricanes. Which means the howling wind and torrential rain we're currently experiencing - which blew down a tree near my house, according to one of the people I live with who was brave enough to go outdoors - is now all the fault of 'Storm Barney'.
I don't know how well that name does in other cultures but over here, well... it's hard to think of a dafter-sounding name for a pretty major storm than 'Barney'.

All I can think of is the purple dinosaur Barney from my childhood. You're right, that's about the silliest name for a storm that I can imagine.

That being said, stay safe in the storm, no matter how daft its name may be!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12337 on: November 17, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »

People don’t take hurricanes as seriously if they have a feminine name and the consequences are deadly, finds a new groundbreaking study.
Female-named storms have historically killed more because people neither consider them as risky nor take the same precautions, the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences concludes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/06/02/female-named-hurricanes-kill-more-than-male-because-people-dont-respect-them-study-finds/
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #12338 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »

All I can think of is the purple dinosaur Barney from my childhood. You're right, that's about the silliest name for a storm that I can imagine.

That being said, stay safe in the storm, no matter how daft its name may be!

I thought of that weird purple dinosaur too. o_o
It only makes the storm ten times scarier, in my opinion...
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12339 on: November 17, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
I thought of that weird purple dinosaur too. o_o
It only makes the storm ten times scarier, in my opinion...

Agreed with this, Barney is a terrifying name for a storm, in my opinion. Stay safe, Boss!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #12340 on: November 17, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »

Mee toooo. This is why I can't go into book stores. Or art supply stores. It's just too dangerous now.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Mélusine

« Reply #12341 on: November 17, 2015, 07:32:15 PM »
Surefire cure for this? Have no money! Next thing you know your wistful desires to purchase everything in sight will be gone... as well as your food and housing, but eh...
I have the habit not buying something before having took a moment to decide if I need it/I would be really happy to buy it for some reasons. (Also called "Hey, you're a teenager with only a few pocket money every month and you have to be sure and to do the good choices if you want something !" ^^)

Oho, I see we have the same problem. : D Any gift-seeking trip is bound to result in me wanting... things... even if I'm looking for someone else. u-u
I can swear four things I bought today are gifts. Which other things ?

Mee toooo. This is why I can't go into book stores. Or art supply stores. It's just too dangerous now.
You... O_o You can't go into book stores ? Vi, that's awful, you can't do that with book stores, you can't ! Poor books which only want to be read !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #12342 on: November 17, 2015, 08:40:31 PM »
You... O_o You can't go into book stores ? Vi, that's awful, you can't do that with book stores, you can't ! Poor books which only want to be read !

I knowwwwwww but the alternative is tying myself down so that I do not buy everything I touch.

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #12343 on: November 18, 2015, 01:11:30 AM »
My solution for the book-buying problem is to only buy books when I have enough Habitica points. Unfortunately I now am active enough on Habitica that I have enough points to buy ten books a day... I may need to rethink this system...
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #12344 on: November 18, 2015, 01:18:13 AM »
My solution for the book-buying problem is to only buy books when I have enough Habitica points. Unfortunately I now am active enough on Habitica that I have enough points to buy ten books a day... I may need to rethink this system...

Send viola books?