Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409299 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12015 on: November 09, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »
And apparently at Ana Nymus's school someone microwaved a sweater because no one told them that microwave =/= clothes dryer.

It was a neighboring school, but yeah. That did happen. Not surprisingly, it started a fire and the building had t be evacuated.

I... can't say I've ever exploded anything in the kitchen. Which is weird, given my general clumsiness and forgetting-to-follow-all-the-steps. I have, however, started a fire with a magnifying glass (I wanted to see if I could do it), and blown up water (on purpose, with adult supervision 'cause I was 12). That last one was a fun experience ^-^
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #12016 on: November 09, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »
Meanwhile I don't even have good microwave stories because one of the first things I was told was to not put metal in and secondly not put an egg in. But I can make things explode in a normal oven I guess? Baked potatoes, cakes and once a chicken... ok the cleaning up of that last one is a mildly traumatic memory...

Same for the first part. I tend to stick with just horribly burning things to the bottoms of pans, which usually doesn't make a very exciting story.

I am just as interested as Para about the chicken...explosion...thing.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12017 on: November 09, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »
And apparently at Ana Nymus's school someone microwaved a sweater because no one told them that microwave =/= clothes dryer.
I put a pair of converse in an oven to dry once. it was mom's idea
you'll know where to find me.

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12018 on: November 09, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »
Not exactly, it was an ornamental memorial mug from the Norwegian Armed Forces. My dad has dozens of them. They just so happen to have some kind of gilding on the inside which promptly transformed the prospective cake into a golden volcano of sparks and fire.

Well, pff, most people would I assume.

Last time I microwaved a muffin it caught fire. Should have removed the wrapping, brain malfunctioned temporarily.

My excuse is I was, like, 18 or something and I was told nothing about these things. I am blameless. Blameless like a saint.

Definitely. The blame belongs to the microwave. I tried to melt chocolate to use in cake in the microwave once, with an innocent not-metal-at-all container, but it still turned into a veritable volacano spewing smoke from its molten interior. How is one supposed to know these things?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12019 on: November 09, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »
How?
Like, a proper explosion?
I am just as interested as Para about the chicken...explosion...thing.

I wish I knew. I just distinctly remember my mum asking me if I didn't think the chicken was ready yet, to which I jumped up because I had forgotten about it and right then it went thump. Very anti-climatic, small thump. Oven full of chicken bits and oil, burning themselves stuck really well, took me ages to clean it afterwards. -.-
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12020 on: November 09, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
* Feartheviolas puts this whole conversation on her list of things to remember and then bring up 3 months later after everyone's forgotten about them :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12021 on: November 09, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
I put a pair of converse in an oven to dry once. it was mom's idea

But you see, the oven literally heats the air. So it's (more or less) the same as any other heating-type device. A microwave does fancy stuff with, you guessed it, microwaves that affects primarily molecules like water, and not air, which is why you can stick your hand in a microwave after it's done and it won't be particularly hot. And while this is great for things that are full of water, like most foods, it can be pretty problematic for things that don't have a lot of water in them. Like metal utensils, or partially-dry sweaters. So while you might actually be pretty safe putting non-food into the oven at a low temperature (I personally would still recommend not using it for this, but whatever), it's quite dangerous to put things into a microwave that aren't supposed to be there.
[/weird little informational rant]
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #12022 on: November 09, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
How about a microwave that magically decides to start all by itself, with nothing in it?
My family has a new microwave now.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12023 on: November 09, 2015, 07:10:50 PM »
I like to consider myself a microwave master U__U I can cook eggs three ways, pasta, rice (egh), stewing, boiling, and replace all tedious stove cooking with microwave cooking for recipe preparation. The other day, I cooked biscuits in the microwave because the oven was broken. Microwave everything. EVERYTHING.

However, there have been....2 incidents this year. Yesterday, I was poaching an egg and decided to give it 10 more seconds...it blew up. I did not try to salvage it an put it's remains on toast
And then a few months ago someone put the Nutella in the fridge so I decided to whack it in the microwave for a few seconds, completely forgetting that there were traces of tin foil around the lid. Sure, there were only tiny lightning bolts going on, but it scared the heck outta me ;_; And I've discovered that a lot of brands use foil in their labels, for little special metallic highlights of fanciness, and they zap. >:(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:13:19 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #12024 on: November 09, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »
More people playing Undertale: yes please.

*contemplates replaying the game for a third time... or maybe try Earthbound first???*
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #12025 on: November 09, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »
Microwave everything. EVERYTHING.

And here I am thinking that I don't really want a microwave when I get my own place...OPPOSITES!
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #12026 on: November 09, 2015, 08:12:28 PM »
I once set applesauce on fire...
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12027 on: November 09, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »
I set a sweet potato on fire in the microwave.  That was memorable.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12028 on: November 09, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »

well, dang, I didn't actually expect it to happen today - I guess the general discussion thread worked its magic hahahah

it was actually really nice to post in this thread again after such a long time of staying silent O:
but now I should prooobablyyy go to bed so g'night!

* sunflower contemplates engaging a turned mage to somehow disable Haiz's Internet or eat their posts until she has regained her rightful place
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12029 on: November 09, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
Our microwave doesn't go bing when it's done, so I always forget and leave my cocoa in there and it gets cold again :(
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: