Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387194 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11940 on: November 07, 2015, 03:32:35 AM »
Anyone experiencing snow yet this season? It's one of the things I miss the most about living in Norway. Like, that really nice thick snow that isn't wet when you touch it, but all fluffy. I might just say this though because I don't get to see snow often anymore, a lot of snow can get annoying!

Me - but that's just because Iceland has a weird attitude to weather. Anything can happen at any time of the year, and no weather ever lasts for long in Reykjavík (the snow in the above photo has melted away already, now we're just having non-stop rain and winds between annoying and AUGHSTORMAUGH) unless the winter is unusually cold or snowy... but when it is you kind of start thinking a bit less snow would do.

This was the year before last, I think.

EDIT: totally unrelated but holy wow LOOK AT THIS! It's a piece of Svínafellsjökull (a part of Vatnajökull on the east side of it) breaking off!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:20:47 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11941 on: November 07, 2015, 06:56:52 AM »
Double-posting like a moron but I felt like this topic deserved its own post... the Icelandic Police on Twitter is at times the most hilarious thing you can read on a Saturday morning.

Leigubílstjóri óskar eftir aðstoð lögreglu, keyrði fram á unga konu sem situr æi vegkanntinum og er döpur. Við á leiðinni!

= A taxi driver wishes for help from the police, drove past a young woman sitting by the side of the road being sad. We're on our way!

Óskað eftir aðstoð lögreglu. Óvelkomið par búið að gera sig heimakomin í kjallara.

= Help from the police asked for. An unwelcome couple moved into a basement.

Tilkynnt um mann á svölum Alþingishússins. Slökkvilið aðstoðar við að ná manninum.

= Notified of a man on the balcony of the house of the parliament. Fire brigade helps to get to him. (There's a great photo of this in the link)(old houses in Reykjavík just aren't that tall).

Hávaðaútkall í Breiðholti. #erekkitímitilaðfaraaðsofa #eðaniðuríbæ

= Noise report (útkall is kinda hard to translate... basically the police is being called to investigate some matter asap) in Breiðholt. #isn'tittimetogotosleep #orheaddowntown

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11942 on: November 07, 2015, 08:57:29 AM »
Double-posting like a moron but I felt like this topic deserved its own post...

Wholly justifiable. :D  Both are
;D AWESOME SAUCE!!  ;D

Dat video.... :o
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11943 on: November 07, 2015, 10:51:15 AM »
Double-posting like a moron but I felt like this topic deserved its own post... the Icelandic Police on Twitter is at times the most hilarious thing you can read on a Saturday morning.

Leigubílstjóri óskar eftir aðstoð lögreglu, keyrði fram á unga konu sem situr æi vegkanntinum og er döpur. Við á leiðinni!

= A taxi driver wishes for help from the police, drove past a young woman sitting by the side of the road being sad. We're on our way!

Óskað eftir aðstoð lögreglu. Óvelkomið par búið að gera sig heimakomin í kjallara.

= Help from the police asked for. An unwelcome couple moved into a basement.

Tilkynnt um mann á svölum Alþingishússins. Slökkvilið aðstoðar við að ná manninum.

= Notified of a man on the balcony of the house of the parliament. Fire brigade helps to get to him. (There's a great photo of this in the link)(old houses in Reykjavík just aren't that tall).

Hávaðaútkall í Breiðholti. #erekkitímitilaðfaraaðsofa #eðaniðuríbæ

= Noise report (útkall is kinda hard to translate... basically the police is being called to investigate some matter asap) in Breiðholt. #isn'tittimetogotosleep #orheaddowntown

The Icelandic police are just the best :D

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #11944 on: November 07, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
I wish we had more snow here... unfortunately Alaska and Canada steal all of it! :*)
I love snow so much though... I doubt we will get any this year. But who knows, we might?
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11945 on: November 07, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
I saw a thing on FB and went to check if it was real and sure enough, some Icelander has trolled the Wikipedia entry on Sugar-apple a leeettle bit. Since it's making rounds on social media at the moment it'll probably disappear in the near future so I decided to screencap it while it's still there:

Spoiler: show
Hvaðerþetta = hvað er þetta = what's that.

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11946 on: November 07, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
^^ That's perfectly accurate. It's exactly what I'd say if I saw that thing.
Pretentious? Moi?

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11947 on: November 07, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
I saw a thing on FB and went to check if it was real and sure enough, some Icelander has trolled the Wikipedia entry on Sugar-apple a leeettle bit. Since it's making rounds on social media at the moment it'll probably disappear in the near future so I decided to screencap it while it's still there:

Hvaðerþetta = hvað er þetta = what's that.

Fruta-de-conde! Soooooo gooooood.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #11948 on: November 08, 2015, 05:30:14 AM »
Well, I have returned from my stay in the city.

O____O

Spoiler: no really • show
Spoiler: last chance • show
Dinner was at 5.30pm. Take away pizza. They ate it all. I got 2 small slices through stealth.
I was put in the guest bedroom! :D So not on the floor this time. The bed was last occupied by a traveling frenchman and had not been made or cleaned. I smelt like man deodorant in the morning. The floor, however, had been vacuumed. u__ub The lighting was great though, very spooky, which was awesome because I brought a ghost book to read.
Shower....hm. You ever get the feeling that you're being watched....by sentient lichen...
For obvious reasons I couldn't pack a hairdryer to take with me, and no one in the house has one. It's a three storey house and there's no hairdryer. I should have learnt after last time when I had to dry my hair with a straightener. This time though they offered up a pet-dryer, so I just used that. Worked fine. Worked fine.
Was not attacked by any animals. 10 points.

Got to school, school was locked. Locked until 10am. I had been up since 5am (cos I went to bed early. Normally I would wake up at 6) so I was like aaaaaah. (The people I was staying with wake up at 8am??!) Finally it opened, I got security to open the rooms I needed to get into and turned on everyone's exhibits, then sat in the library. I get a phone call from mum saying that they're back in town to pick me up five hours early. So I organise for someone else to turn off the exhibits at closing time and go home. It was a tense ride home, utterly silent. We get home at 2pm, have lunch. I haven't been able to stop yawning all week so I decide to go take a nap. I get woken up by a phone call from a classmate panicking about how to turn off the exhibits, I don't know what I even told them because I was mostly asleep. I go back to sleep. I wake up at 7.30pm, just in time for Dr Who. I also walked outside and down the road to close the gates, the weather was perfect; kinda warm, sun had set behind the hill so it was that Mostly Dark But Still Some Light and the kookaburras were all going nuts. My cat was hiding in the big rocks on the side of the hill and wouldn't come inside. :(
[/spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:58:19 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11949 on: November 08, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
Before this, I think "Gro" was the least-English name I'd encountered.
Umh ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11950 on: November 08, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
I'm feeling two things tonight: One is mild amazement that there's a food market in New York in a place called Smorgasburg - I wonder if they serve Swedish smörgås. The other is despondency because it came to my mind that the age of exploration and adventure is over - meaning the odds of me ever getting a shot at being a travelling pirate mercenary are rather slim.

Either may be caused by the fact that the weekend came and went way too fast.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11951 on: November 08, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »
I'm feeling two things tonight: One is mild amazement that there's a food market in New York in a place called Smorgasburg - I wonder if they serve Swedish smörgås. The other is despondency because it came to my mind that the age of exploration and adventure is over - meaning the odds of me ever getting a shot at being a travelling pirate mercenary are rather slim.

Either may be caused by the fact that the weekend came and went way too fast.

Of course you can still be a travelling pirate mercenary, you could be a travelling space pirate mercenary. There's still lots to discover out there.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11952 on: November 08, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Of course you can still be a travelling pirate mercenary, you could be a travelling space pirate mercenary. There's still lots to discover out there.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11953 on: November 08, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »

Yeah, like Mark Watney? Gotta work on the getting into space part, it's a lot more complicated than getting on a boat they say. For now.

What even is that?

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11954 on: November 08, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »
I'm like ten posts away from catching up to sunflower õ_õ
you'll know where to find me.