Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387812 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11880 on: November 05, 2015, 07:52:41 AM »
It probably would, but the problem is that you can't really find bidets in the US. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never even seen one in the US.

Yeah they're really not a thing in Canada either. The only place I've ever seen them in North America is at the houses of people who used to live in Europe. One of these being a distant cousin of mine. They have one of those combined bidet toilets. I remember my brother didn't know what a bidet was and so he comes out of the bathroom dripping wet and everyone is like what happened?!?! and he's just like, I went to flush the toilet and it sprayed me. It was hilarious. 
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11881 on: November 05, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
what the heck

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT
WHY
THEY DON'T DISSOLVE

... People. u_u SIGH
The labels only mention flush ability in mice type. ::) ALL say "Disposable" in VERY PROMINENT LETTERS.

It's a peeve of mine, too.
 :P
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Fenris

« Reply #11882 on: November 05, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »
Aargh, I've been searching for military records for reference concerning a story I'm writing, but haven't been able to find any examples of, say, troop deployment statistics and the like. Anybody have any idea where I could find things like that? Also, what do you think the chances are that I'm now on a government watch list?
What do you mean precisely? Examples of OOBs? Or current deployment of military personnel?

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #11883 on: November 05, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »
This is the first time I even hear of these wipes but if toilet paper's not enough wouldn't washing with a bidet shower after tp do the thing?
(The flushable golf balls were my favourite btw.)
Yeah, apparently here in America we are scared of water shooting at our bums; I've never even seen a bidet  ::)
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #11884 on: November 05, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
The toilet at my work has a bidet but I have no idea how to use it.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11885 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
Yeah, apparently here in America we are scared of water shooting at our bums; I've never even seen a bidet  ::)

I was thinking more of the handheld bidet shower thing that has a button you press for water, the wipes just sound a bit weird. And cold. :P

The toilet at my work has a bidet but I have no idea how to use it.

Live dangerously, press ALL the buttons! :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #11886 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »
I went to my first job interview today. I was a little bit nervous, but I was able to answer the questions clearly and I don't think I said anything stupid... I don't know if they are going to call me back or not, but hey, that's progress, right? :D
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11887 on: November 05, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »
Live dangerously, press ALL the buttons! :D

That can be scary with Japanese toilet seats! Although the heated seat can be nice with unheated bathrooms, the bidet function and bum dryer might be surprising.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #11888 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
That can be scary with Japanese toilet seats! Although the heated seat can be nice with unheated bathrooms, the bidet function and bum dryer might be surprising.

All I can think of is that one clip from the Cars movie. Made quite an impression on younger weeaboo Curry, it did >_>
YEET

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11889 on: November 05, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
I remember that caused at least one fire in the first generation model.  Every time I'm tempted to become an early adopter....  ;D

All I can think of is that one clip from the Cars movie. Made quite an impression on younger weeaboo Curry, it did >_>

*Now has bullet-proof "guy reason" to see a kids' movie
. ;D

Grandkids work, too. ^-^

Aargh, I've been searching for military records for reference concerning a story I'm writing, but haven't been able to find any examples of, say, troop deployment statistics and the like. Anybody have any idea where I could find things like that?

Spoiler: wall of doctrine • show
For major commands, you're talking about the order of battle at the theater, regional, or Operational level.  Higher, and you're talking National Defense Strategy (all services) or National Military Strategy (ground forces).  Within a given theater of operations, you have tactical units (Divisions on down) to accomplish local objectives that support relevant parts of the national strategy, such as a Theater Engagement Plan. 

That last helps to make sure that all the players in an area know each other.  Sometimes it really helps to literally know who to call to sort things out.

Any help?  You can always grab a history book & change things to suit your story.  PM if necessary.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:24:38 PM by DaveBro (Phasing out "ReturnOf") »
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11890 on: November 05, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
Today I Learned:
- that here in America there are people that are now using "flushable wipes" instead of toilet paper for wiping themselves after a trip to the potty.
[...]
THE BLOCKAGES ARE HUGE. In London they had to remove one that was the SIZE OF A CITY BUS.
... they're undissolvable to the point of clogging sewers on the next continent!? :o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

« Reply #11891 on: November 05, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
I went to my first job interview today. I was a little bit nervous, but I was able to answer the questions clearly and I don't think I said anything stupid... I don't know if they are going to call me back or not, but hey, that's progress, right? :D
Of course it is ! ;) Moreover, having a job interview is always a good thing.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11892 on: November 05, 2015, 02:47:45 PM »
Nowadays it's considered that Iceland never had much by trees; around the settlement era there were some, but even then the most typical tree type that grew in Iceland was dwarf birch. What few forests there were were chopped up fairly fast, which is why even during the settlement Icelanders had to import timber from - heh - Norway.

And what grand magnanimity that is, considering they basically eloped with a bunch of Celts. Oh well, the Lannisters House of Glücksburg send their regards.

Is it a law of nature that taking just a 30 minute nap on the couch should make one feel seriously hungover for the rest of the evening? Seems that way.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:50:02 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Mélusine

« Reply #11893 on: November 05, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »
Oh well, the Lannisters House of Glücksburg send their regards.
Thank Fimby, now "The Rains of Castamere" are playing somewhere in my head.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #11894 on: November 05, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
Hey, Minna's language tree just got featured in a Guardian article!