Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387760 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11700 on: October 26, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
And if you'd just been two seconds faster you would have posted that at 10:33:01. Wouldn't that be something magical. Double rainbow all the way.
why must you hurt me this way
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11701 on: October 26, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
why must you hurt me this way
So it goes.

So I was just out for lunch, and I was sitting down near a young lady who was chatting on the phone in a bright, chirpy voice. I didn't really pay attention to what she was saying, only noticing when she said, "Okay, see you in a bit - love you!" then hung up. She instructed her phone to call somebody else, then in an entirely different, serious voice, said, "The target is in position." Then hung up.

I don't know what to think, except that the pasta I had was delicious.
Well, that's... potentially sinister. I'm sure everything was juuust fiiiine.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11702 on: October 26, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »
That is the funniest thing I've heard all day (and horrible Google-translate of Icelandic only added to the humor :P )
*samurai voice* "If I die it will be by my own handu..."

Suicidal straw goats fit right into the Icelandic Christmas spirit:

- trolls are sneaking into your house to eat and steal stuff
- their mum is sneaking into your house to eat children: good or bad, doesn't matter
- her gigantic monster cat is sneaking into your house to eat anyone who didn't receive an item of clothing for Christmas
- I guess Christmas in Iceland is basically merry if the whole family survives

So I was just out for lunch, and I was sitting down near a young lady who was chatting on the phone in a bright, chirpy voice. I didn't really pay attention to what she was saying, only noticing when she said, "Okay, see you in a bit - love you!" then hung up. She instructed her phone to call somebody else, then in an entirely different, serious voice, said, "The target is in position." Then hung up.

I don't know what to think, except that the pasta I had was delicious.

What. This is beautiful and I must start randomly saying stuff like that in public.

And if you'd just been two seconds faster you would have posted that at 10:33:01. Wouldn't that be something magical. Double rainbow all the way.

You kind of deserve an ear pinch for that...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11703 on: October 26, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
Suicidal straw goats fit right into the Icelandic Christmas spirit:

- trolls are sneaking into your house to eat and steal stuff
- their mum is sneaking into your house to eat children: good or bad, doesn't matter
- her gigantic monster cat is sneaking into your house to eat anyone who didn't receive an item of clothing for Christmas
- I guess Christmas in Iceland is basically merry if the whole family survives

Christmas in Iceland sounds like one of those 'home invasion' B-movie horror films! Why are there all these trolls trying to get into your houses!?
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11704 on: October 26, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
Christmas in Iceland sounds like one of those 'home invasion' B-movie horror films! Why are there all these trolls trying to get into your houses!?

I watched a Finnish christmas movie once, Rare Exports, and it was basically a horror movie. Children were kidnapped, there were naked old men who were actually homicidal cannibalistic elves, and Santa was a frozen devil. The whole time they are basically trying to destroy Santa Clause. It was terrifying.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11705 on: October 26, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »
You kind of deserve an ear pinch for that...

Wah, what did I do this time?

I watched a Finnish christmas movie once, Rare Exports, and it was basically a horror movie. Children were kidnapped, there were naked old men who were actually homicidal cannibalistic elves, and Santa was a frozen devil. The whole time they are basically trying to destroy Santa Clause. It was terrifying.

I grew up with the Moomins cartoon and it was basically a horror story. Finland doesn't hold back.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11706 on: October 26, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »
I just watched the trailer for that. 'What the frick' doesn't begin to cover it.
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11707 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »

To be fair they can catch you outside as well.

Three examples of Icelandic Jólasveinar (= Yule Lads): Askasleikir (= bowl licker) hiding under a bed to steal a food bowl someone carelessly placed within his reach, Kertasníkir (= candle thief) stealing candles and eating them, and Gluggagægir (= window peeper) who just creepily looks in through windows.

Their mother Grýla and her pet, Urðarkötturinn (= the cliff-cat).

Wah, what did I do this time?

Usually it wouldn't even matter because for sure you've always done something, but now you're blatantly poking at Haiz. :D

I just watched the trailer for that. 'What the frick' doesn't begin to cover it.

Ah, Rare Exports, what an amazing moment in cinematic history, only beaten by Reykjavík Whale Watching Massacre.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11708 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
Amen!  But I think I know what the boys and I will probably end up watching.  ::)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11709 on: October 26, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »

Three examples of Icelandic Jólasveinar (= Yule Lads): Askasleikir (= bowl licker) hiding under a bed to steal a food bowl someone carelessly placed within his reach, Kertasníkir (= candle thief) stealing candles and eating them, and Gluggagægir (= window peeper) who just creepily looks in through windows.

I think the Icelanders have developed an unhealthy kind of paranoia from living on a dark, desolate island.

Usually it wouldn't even matter because for sure you've always done something, but now you're blatantly poking at Haiz. :D

Surely you can't blame me for adding some variety to the poking.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11710 on: October 26, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »
Surely you can't blame me for adding some variety to the poking.

dang, it's been a while since i did any of these
i don't actually mind the poking, variety or not
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11711 on: October 26, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »

I think it says something about Iceland that three monsters that steal food, take your light sources and creep on people through their windows are called the 'Yule Lads', like they're a bunch of good-natured drunks from down the local pub.

Visitors who poke the Haiz are reminded that they do so at their own risk.
I write a bit on AO3

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #11712 on: October 26, 2015, 11:53:52 PM »
Who....does anybody want to hear my Peg Odyssey? The Peg Odyssey from HELL? *eye twitches*

You wouldn't think it would be so hARD and INjuRy-ACQUIRING TO FIND PEGS IN THIS WHOLE CITY. BUT IT ISSSSSSS.

IT IS.

Also I got my plinth today, and it is tiny tiny tiny tiny. hahahahahahahahahhh I probably need another one. oh godddddddddd
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11713 on: October 27, 2015, 05:09:09 AM »
The ssss site seems to be down. I wonder if Minna knows.

A. P. Barratt

• Super-Newbie
  • SSSS reader since I think about 2014.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/they/them
« Reply #11714 on: October 27, 2015, 05:15:07 AM »
Have sent Minna a tweet about site down.  Hopefully she spots it if she doesn't know already.
I've been reading SSSS since I think about 2014, it actually inspired me to get into creating comics myself but I've only just started publishing one of my own properly online at https://ragtime.scot