Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387263 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11415 on: October 12, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »
Hmm how legal is it to mail these things? Because maybe exchanges can happen. One country's special for another's. I'm pretty sure I can mail canned poutine and kraft dinner without getting arrested.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11416 on: October 12, 2015, 12:05:43 PM »
Sounds beer'y good. Malt'o bene.

If I wasn't sneaking here during the last minutes of my coffee break I'd go find the "get out" image right now...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11417 on: October 12, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
Sounds beer'y good. Malt'o bene.

I GOT YOUR BACK LAUFEY
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11418 on: October 12, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure I can mail canned poutine and kraft dinner without getting arrested.

Canned poutine?!

What is this monstrosity.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

« Reply #11419 on: October 12, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »
Hmm how legal is it to mail these things? Because maybe exchanges can happen. One country's special for another's. I'm pretty sure I can mail canned poutine and kraft dinner without getting arrested.
I'm pretty sure I can send Christmas biscuits... oh, wait I've already done that ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11420 on: October 12, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
Canned poutine?!

What is this monstrosity.

Funny story: One time I heard a comedic skit about canned poutine. It went something like when the plane goes down in the wilderness, you eat all the food, then cannibalize the pilot's legs, then maaaaybe if you're desperate you eat the canned poutine.

In this case though I'm just referring to cans of the sauce. The person receiving the can would have to go out and find french fries and cheese curds to put it on.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #11421 on: October 12, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
Funny story: One time I heard a comedic skit about canned poutine. It went something like when the plane goes down in the wilderness, you eat all the food, then cannibalize the pilot's legs, then maaaaybe if you're desperate you eat the canned poutine.

In this case though I'm just referring to cans of the sauce. The person receiving the can would have to go out and find french fries and cheese curds to put it on.

That's a relief. I thought you meant, like... a whole poutine. In a can. The face I made was just -

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #11422 on: October 12, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »

So it's like dwarf bread, right?
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11423 on: October 12, 2015, 12:55:14 PM »
That's a relief. I thought you meant, like... a whole poutine. In a can. The face I made was just -

Not this one?
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #11424 on: October 12, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »
Not this one?
(image)

That would do.
Or maybe this one:

Though I fear none of them perfectly conveys the feeling of "eugh" that I had.
(Seriously, imagine it, a whole canned poutine... Eughhh)

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #11425 on: October 12, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
Yeah I don't see the appeal of soaked fries either.

Or of poutine-flavoured chips, for that matter.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11426 on: October 12, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving! (canadian edition)

Some thankfuls: I am thankful to Minna for her dedication and her wonderful comics. Thankful to Eich for making this forum where I've made so many wonderful friends. And lastly thankful to everyone here for being such an awesome and creative community.

Well, I'm thankful for you and all the other wonderful Canadians in this Forum.  Solovei, Luth Nightbreeze, Vafhudr, Ana, Yuuago, your hockey-playing sister -- who am I forgetting? 

Also, what's on the menu for a real Canadian Thanksgiving dinner?  (The American menu is pretty canonical: Roast turkey with stuffing and gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, various kinds of winter veg. (yams, winter squash, string beans, pearl onions, etc.), pumpkin pie.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:16:57 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #11427 on: October 12, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
Well, I'm thankful for you and all the other wonderful Canadians in this Forum.  Solovei, Luth Nightbreeze, Vafhudr, Ana, Yuuago, your hockey-playing sister -- who am I forgetting? 

Also, what's on the menu for a real Canadian Thanksgiving dinner?  (The American menu is pretty canonical: Roast turkey with stuffing and gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, various kinds of winter veg. (yams, winter squash, string beans, pearl onions, etc.), pumpkin pie.)

: )

For Canadian Thanksgiving - it probably varies a little, but my family menu is pretty much the same as the American version. 'Cept we usually do a very small turkey. And the pies are always home-made.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11428 on: October 12, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »

It's pretty similar, turkey or ham, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots and squash, apple or pumpkin pie. The largest difference that I can see (aside from the date) is that the US has the whole pilgrims and indians story and we don't.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #11429 on: October 12, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »
Yeah as far as I am concerned it's pretty much the same as American thanksgiving, menu wise. :I
I mean, I do believe we just kind of imported up here.

We celebrate it earlier because, I presume, harvest was earlier in these cold climates.

But otherwise it's mostly an excuse to feast on the good things of fall. So as mentioned above - purées of carrots, squashes, potato mashes, apple pies or crumbles, pumpkin related stuff, attocas, mostly turkey and ham. It's basically Christmas lite.

Which is why some of us find it odd that it's celebrated so late in the US. It's a lot of turkey between the time of thanksgiving and new year's eve.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...