Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409359 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11175 on: October 05, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »
Give your housemates paper and pencil, tell them to draw and provide constructive criticism.
"What's that supposed to be?" "Eagle? Looks like a ferret down with influenza."
*Insert here the image I don't find in the reaction image hoard, of Reynir being pretty sure he could be a mage, with this look, yes, this one*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11176 on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Shhhh, the three other are considering themselves as adults

By 'on this site' I meant on this forum.

I'm a weakling atm and not used to standing still for hours like I have to at the new job

Sounds like you need more RIVERDANCING in your life *eyebrow-waggle*

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11177 on: October 05, 2015, 04:56:07 PM »
also for you guys who have problems with freezing: try to get your blood circulation going in your hands and feet? i don't really have a lot of tips because i turned out to be a rather warm-blooded person despite babyhaiz starting to cry almost every time i went outside in the cold - but that was the advice i got for sleeping over in a snow cave. i fell asleep while warming up my foot.

Yes, sadly the colder it gets, the more my hands and feet put up a fight when I try to get blood flowing. I'd take any advice on how to force my circulation to work if anyone has any, though.

*Insert here the image I don't find in the reaction image hoard, of Reynir being pretty sure he could be a mage, with this look, yes, this one*

Do you mean this image?

:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Mélusine

« Reply #11178 on: October 05, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »
By 'on this site' I meant on this forum.
I know :) I'm still trying to make my housemates read Stand Still. Stay Silent, but I would rather prefer they don't discover the forum, thank. And I'm still not an adult, no no no...

Do you mean this image?

YES ! :D *Begins to practice her look*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11179 on: October 05, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »
I'd take any advice on how to force my circulation to work if anyone has any, though.

Make sure you get enough dietary iron for starters.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11180 on: October 05, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
Sounds like you need more RIVERDANCING in your life *eyebrow-waggle*

I'm imagining myself hopping wildly on a spot wielding an air pressure stapler and... uh... maybe not. I like every single one of my fingers, stapling a customer would be bad for business and those are just the first worst-case scenarios I thought of. :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11181 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
Thank Noodly :) A friend can lend me a cape, which will help because we'll be in a castle. Or around a castle. The event is in Game of Thrones universe so a cardigan might be... not exactly what is expected. What am I doing what am I doing what am I doing ?

Ooh, Game of Thrones -- what fun!  I went to a Game of Thrones dance back in February (sponsored by a club that puts on various historic- or fantasy-themed dances 10 times a year).  It was delightful, and the setting was perfect -- an Elks lodge whose upstairs dance floor has a stage and musicians' gallery at one end and the other three sides of the hall surrounded by thrones.

I made a badge for my House featuring a squirrel (which actually shows up on the historic coat of arms for one branch of my ancestors).  Our words:  "How high may I climb?", based on the historical motto of Nicolas Fouquet, a high-flying finance minister of Louis XIV.

So Mélusine, are you planning to go as a noble Westeros lady (with or without a sword, knife, or whip), one of the smallfolk, a member of the Khaleesi's court-in-exile... or maybe switch a few letters around and be the charismatic Melisandre?  Remember, the night is dark and full of terrors...!  :o
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11182 on: October 05, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
Make sure you get enough dietary iron for starters.

Quote from: National Institutes of Health
The best sources of iron include:

Dried beans
Dried fruits
Eggs (especially egg yolks)
Iron-fortified cereals
Liver
Lean red meat (especially beef)
Oysters
Poultry, dark red meat
Salmon
Tuna

Whole grains

What's that? Eat more red meat? Especially beef? Why, yes. Yes, this I can do.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11183 on: October 05, 2015, 05:32:52 PM »
upstairs dance floor has a stage and musicians' gallery at one end

... keep an eye on the orchestra.

What's that? Eat more red meat? Especially beef? Why, yes. Yes, this I can do.

If you're feeling charitable you can also buy an iron fish.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:36:15 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Mélusine

« Reply #11184 on: October 05, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »
Ooh, Game of Thrones -- what fun!  I went to a Game of Thrones dance back in February (sponsored by a club that puts on various historic- or fantasy-themed dances 10 times a year).  It was delightful, and the setting was perfect -- an Elks lodge whose upstairs dance floor has a stage and musicians' gallery at one end and the other three sides of the hall surrounded by thrones.

I made a badge for my House featuring a squirrel (which actually shows up on the historic coat of arms for one branch of my ancestors).  Our words:  "How high may I climb?", based on the historical motto of Nicolas Fouquet, a high-flying finance minister of Louis XIV.

So Mélusine, are you planning to go as a noble Westeros lady (with or without a sword, knife, or whip), one of the smallfolk, a member of the Khaleesi's court-in-exile... or maybe switch a few letters around and be the charismatic Melisandre?  Remember, the night is dark and full of terrors...!  :o
I'm not playing usually and in my case I had never played before, so they're preparing a character for me, character who might came back later or not, I don't know yet. All I have for now from the persons who are planning all is a name, an age (+10, why ?), a social situation and "She will wear simple and black clothes". I know where to find the perfect dress buuuuuuut... I'll begin by trying less expensive solutions. And I'm inwardly SO HAPPY to borrow a cloak and wear it during all the day :D *Loves cloaks* Yeah, I'll have to speak and play a character, too, I know...

... keep an eye on the orchestra.
Spoiler: show
Especially if they start playing "The Rains of Castamere"...

I would have been suspicious too.

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #11185 on: October 06, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
Okay, change of topic: because I am a bad Filipino, I looked up what happens during Halloween in the Philippines. While doing so, I discovered a brilkiant fact, courtesy of the blessed citizens of the UK.

There is a town in one of the dependencies/territories (it's Tristan da Cunha) called Edinburgh of the Seven Seas.

Edinburgh

of the Seven Seas.

Well done, you guys. You are now the proud owner of the coolest sounding place name ever I'm sorry Hell. I mean, seriously, it's like a pirate Scotland or something, and pirate Scotsmen with eyepatches, kilts, bagpipes and pirate hats are like the coolest thing ever.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11186 on: October 06, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »
Okay, change of topic: because I am a bad Filipino, I looked up what happens during Halloween in the Philippines. While doing so, I discovered a brilkiant fact, courtesy of the blessed citizens of the UK.

There is a town in one of the dependencies/territories (it's Tristan da Cunha) called Edinburgh of the Seven Seas.

Edinburgh

of the Seven Seas.

Well done, you guys. You are now the proud owner of the coolest sounding place name ever I'm sorry Hell. I mean, seriously, it's like a pirate Scotland or something, and pirate Scotsmen with eyepatches, kilts, bagpipes and pirate hats are like the coolest thing ever.

That does sound incredibly badass!

Behold, the mayor* of Edinburgh of the Seven Seas:

*If there's any justice in this world
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11187 on: October 06, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
That does sound incredibly badass!

Yo ho ho and wee dram?  Ach, shiver me sporran! ;D
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11188 on: October 06, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »

Aye, but de trooe meyor of Edinbarr on de sevin seas haes ta be Willium Walles, he waes me bruther's muther ya knoe, den dey dun kell'd him the basterts! Gad bless.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11189 on: October 06, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »
I'm sorry Hell.
ARE YOU DISRESPECTING MY AIRPORT i mean i fully agree you can't really get more badass than that.

today was... pool noodles. yeah. pool noodles, old people gymnastics, and swimsuit drama. we spent most of the day in thermal baths because it was raining like heck and we couldn't go see a roman Diana temple because of dumb french reasons.
you'll know where to find me.