Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410971 times)

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11160 on: October 05, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »
I got a tour of CERN on a school trip to Geneva a few years ago, it was very interesting. We weren't allowed down to see any of the LHC experiments, though, as it was during the time they were upgrading/doing maintenance on the equipment. But one day!

Awww, too bad then ^^'''
Yes, one day is always good =3=b
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11161 on: October 05, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
And mountains!  They have this!

It's the giant toblerone.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11162 on: October 05, 2015, 02:10:48 PM »
From which all other toblerones are forged.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11163 on: October 05, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »

One Toby Lerone to rule them all; and in dark chocolate* bind them.

*milk and white chocolate also available.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11164 on: October 05, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting when the snow finally falls down and all the trees become white.

I have a small forest path that i walk through every day and it becomes like something from a fairy tale once January hits.

Sounds lovely!  Will you take pictures for us when that happens?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11165 on: October 05, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
They also have a boss-level particle accelerator
Umh, it's not exactly like Switzerland "has" it when the larger part of it is actually on the French side of the border to boot ...

Might be a bit harder to go see, though...
Have some footage, then, yo.

You can go visit it. Well, at least the faculties and parts of the machine. I did it with friends. The only problem is getting down there and you have to do this as a group visit so you need to do some planning. The tour is however highly informative and CERN is a fascinating place :)
(but prepare for lotsa walking, the place is huge)
Considering that there's a fair amount of radiation in the tunnels whenever the LHC's running, I'ld guess that visits take place only in winter (when the LHC stays deactivated, as agreed with their utility company)?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11166 on: October 05, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »
Umh, it's not exactly like Switzerland "has" it when the larger part of it is actually on the French side of the border to boot ...

Hey, they still have more of it than most countries in the world, you gotta take what you can get ;)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #11167 on: October 05, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »

Will do, but it will still take some time. At least it is getting a bit colder around here and it's fun to crunch up some frozen leafs on the ground.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:10:10 PM by FinnishViking »

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11168 on: October 05, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
What happen when four "adults" think about what could be their coat of arms ? A lot of ridiculously funny ideas and a need to find someone to draw them ^^ (I live with teachers but without an art teacher.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11169 on: October 05, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
What happen when four "adults" think about what could be their coat of arms ? A lot of ridiculously funny ideas and a need to find someone to draw them ^^ (I live with teachers but without an art teacher.)

I don't think you'll find four adults on this site, but I recall something about coats of arms being discussed in this thread some time ago.

Everyone is an art teacher. You're an art teacher.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11170 on: October 05, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »
Hey Haiz o/

How long will you be in Switzerland? :)

Depending on how long you're staying/where you are/how much free time you have I might be able to recommend you something fun to do or see ^^
heyyy haha totally not answering super late
we're staying till friday O:

also for you guys who have problems with freezing: try to get your blood circulation going in your hands and feet? i don't really have a lot of tips because i turned out to be a rather warm-blooded person despite babyhaiz starting to cry almost every time i went outside in the cold - but that was the advice i got for sleeping over in a snow cave. i fell asleep while warming up my foot.

I don't think you'll find four adults on this site, but I recall something about coats of arms being discussed in this thread some time ago.
hah, yes, i drew some coats of arms last time i was on vacation. and posted them here.
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11171 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »
One Toby Lerone to rule them all; and in dark chocolate* bind them.

*milk and white chocolate also available.

It's ok I got this, send all the Toblerone over to me and I'll toss it in Hekla. It's not a Mount Doom but it's a door to Hell so it should be good enough.
(Unless of course the Toblerone manages to bind my will and betray me. I've heard such things happen to people with less than stellar self-discipline skills.)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11172 on: October 05, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »

Everyone is an art teacher. You're an art teacher.
Shhhh, the three other are considering themselves as adults, I was trying to pretend to be not-so-strange ::) By chance they stopped before it came to watchwords.
"You're an art teacher." *Frowns and try to understand how she could be* Hummmmmmm...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:29:59 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11173 on: October 05, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
Meanwhile in Iceland Laufey's feet and brain are making some serious complaints. I mean I know it's just because I'm a weakling atm and not used to standing still for hours like I have to at the new job, I'll get used to it soon enough, I just wish it happened faster. I've been a near-zombie since Thursday, I barely get the food done after work and then I'm spending the rest of the evening spacing out and getting very few neglected responsibilities out of the way. I just did the laundry and that felt like a Herculean feat... :P
(Still happy about the job though.)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11174 on: October 05, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
"You're an art teacher." *Frowns and try to understand how she could be* Hummmmmmm...

Give your housemates paper and pencil, tell them to draw and provide constructive criticism.
"What's that supposed to be?" "Eagle? Looks like a ferret down with influenza."
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: