Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411603 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11040 on: October 01, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
My only worry is that I can't lift a whole sheet of glass on my own so I'm going to have to rely on there being smaller (but big enough) pieces I can use, or someone else who can help lift one on the cutting machine thing.

Well, Iceland is known for having a ridiculous amount of weightlifters, maybe take a leaf out of their book. Y'know, toss some sheep around or whatever they do. But yes, A+++ effort, shedding blood and tears just blood actually for the cause!

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11041 on: October 01, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Well, Iceland is known for having a ridiculous amount of weightlifters, maybe take a leaf out of their book. Y'know, toss some sheep around or whatever they do. But yes, A+++ effort, shedding blood and tears just blood actually for the cause!
Laufey could also take a Leif for weight lifting, subject to availability at the shop. 
(Pun based on Murcan pernounciation, as "Lee If".  Other pernounciations gitcher own puns.)  ;)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11042 on: October 01, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
Laufey could also take a Leif for weight lifting, subject to availability at the shop. 
(Pun based on Murcan pernounciation, as "Lee If".  Other pernounciations gitcher own puns.)  ;)

Names like Leif, Odd, Bård and Randi do sound funny when used abroad. A former classmate of mine had a name that sounded so vulgar to English speakers that he went by the name Roger when talking to foreigners.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:07:15 PM by Fimbulvarg »

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11043 on: October 01, 2015, 04:15:34 PM »
Names like Leif, Odd, Bård and Randi do sound funny when used abroad. A former classmate of mine had a name that sounded so vulgar to English speakers that he went by the name Roger when talking to foreigners.

This reminds me of the main character of Jo Nesbø's main character: Harry Hole
I only read the first few books, but I remember him having a lot of trouble with the English speakers pronouncing it incorrectly :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11044 on: October 01, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »
I only read the first few books, but I remember him having a lot of trouble with the English speakers pronouncing it incorrectly :P
that again reminds me
that in every country I've been, in every bookshop, translated versions of Jo Nesbø's book have "jo nesbø" written on their cover.
except english translations, who just go with "jo nesbo". they're feeling too superior for the ø

at least the name 'helen' is pronounced in a somewhat normal way in english. norwegian, however, has a lot of different spellings and pronounciations and it always causes problems. and why did i have to get the stereotypical suburban soccer mom name. what did i do to deserve
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:25:41 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11045 on: October 01, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »

Ahhahah Finnish does this too... my aunt had an awkward exchange year in the USA, what with having the name Oili.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11046 on: October 01, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
First day at new work done! I'm so tired, my brain's spinning on all the new information that got poured in and I didn't even count how many pieces I framed today. Notes for the future: the hooks for hanging up should not be left inside the frame when you close it, also watch what you're doing and failing that, try to not bleed on anything important.

A bit longer account:

The day started not-so-promisingly by getting stuck in the morning traffic in the most miserable rainstorm ever. I had to wait a bit in front of the store though, because with a bit of good luck I wasn't the only one late. :D The actual job was exactly as I remembered it with some new ways of doing things and muuuch fancier machines etc. than in the old place, but somehow I got very quickly into the flow of things. My only worry is that I can't lift a whole sheet of glass on my own so I'm going to have to rely on there being smaller (but big enough) pieces I can use, or someone else who can help lift one on the cutting machine thing.

At one point I goofed up with a frame I was working on and had to pull out all the nails that held a piece of art to its frame. I swear I wasn't even zoning off or anything, I just didn't pay attention for a tiny little second, slipped and cut my thumb... which I didn't even notice at first until I started wondering why my finger felt so wet. Oh, oops, that's a great first impression to make on a new employer I'm sure.

Anyway,

A+++ great place to work at!

Sorry to hear about the injury, but congrats on otherwise surviving the first day at your new job!   :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11047 on: October 01, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »

That is one of my favourite series, I've read almost every book, and I still mentally pronounce the character's name wrong when I read it. ffffff I mean - I can't help it -- it looks like -And since it's pointed out in text, it's obviously on purpose. Whyyyyyyy (The author must have an odd sense of humour)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11048 on: October 01, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »

The o is a monophthong. We don't like diphthongs here in Scandinavia unless the word actually has a sequence of two vowels.. Additionally the e is not silent.

that again reminds me
that in every country I've been, in every bookshop, translated versions of Jo Nesbø's book have "jo nesbø" written on their cover.
except english translations, who just go with "jo nesbo". they're feeling too superior for the ø

at least the name 'helen' is pronounced in a somewhat normal way in english. norwegian, however, has a lot of different spellings and pronounciations and it always causes problems. and why did i have to get the stereotypical suburban soccer mom name. what did i do to deserve

Considering how we mutilated every single character name in the Harry Potter series I'm willing to let them get away with that.

Now now, it's only a "stereotypical soccer mom name" because you think of names in terms of stereotypes.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11049 on: October 01, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
that again reminds me

I've seen this with Icelandic books like Yrsa Sigarðardóttir becoming Yrsa Sigardardottir but the Nesbø books that I read had the ø.

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #11050 on: October 01, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »
Now now, it's only a "stereotypical soccer mom name" because you think of names in terms of stereotypes.
but fiiiiiiiiiiiim it's tumblr's number one go-to make-fun-of-suburban-soccer-moms-name

if i have to read "fight me helen" one more time

and i USED to be the most beautiful woman in greece
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:54:17 PM by Haiz »

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11051 on: October 01, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
but fiiiiiiiiiiiim it's tumblr's number one go-to make-fun-of-suburban-soccer-moms-name

if i have to read "fight me helen" one more time

and i USED to be the most beautiful woman in greece

Does Norway have soccer moms?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #11052 on: October 01, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
Does Norway have soccer moms?
yeah, but not named helen, and not as stereotypicable. tumblr doesn't care about norway

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11053 on: October 01, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
Pros of today: It was refreshingly cold and rainy.

Cons of today: I had to walk home in said weather with only a sweater over my head. :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11054 on: October 01, 2015, 05:11:46 PM »

Oh, my bad, that changes eEeverythign. I suppose you'll be wanting an SUV for you ...uh, football children when and if you get your license  ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

But no, if Laufey was a stereotypical tumblr name for a Dutch hobbit you wouldn't subscribe to it would you. No.