Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387690 times)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10770 on: September 23, 2015, 10:00:48 PM »
I'm 30WPM, don't feel too bad.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #10771 on: September 23, 2015, 10:17:02 PM »
I'm 30WPM, don't feel too bad.

I was at 8WPM, probably not much better. Or maybe I am. Idk.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10772 on: September 23, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
[typing test shenanigans]

This was my second try after seeing what it does with errors. I was trying to type accurately.

Words per minute (WPM)   71
Keystrokes   361
(356 | 5)
Correct words   70
Wrong words   1
You are better than 90.27% of all users (position 17244 of 177251 - last 24 hours)

[http://fimby.no/]

Mine eyes have seen the glory. O_O
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10773 on: September 23, 2015, 11:23:11 PM »
Typing games help! That's how I originally learned to touch-type quickly. Or, well, doing typing tests over and over works too, but that's less fun. ;p

Oh wow, I haven't played any typing games since middle school. Know any good ones?
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #10774 on: September 24, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »
Words per minute (WPM)   90
Keystrokes   478 (450 | 28)
Correct words   90
Wrong words   5
You are better than 96.23% of all users (position 6677 of 177001 - last 24 hours)

O___O
well
I guess my cubital tunnel syndrome hasn't slowed me down after all
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #10775 on: September 24, 2015, 03:38:14 AM »
Second try:

Words per minute (WPM)   67
Keystrokes   348
(337 | 11)
Correct words   62
Wrong words   2
You are better than 88.09% of all users (position 20772 of 174451 - last 24 hours)

This is after sleeping only two hours last night and no coffee, but I doubt the result would improve much in normal conditions. I don't type that fast.

Comparing with the result from my first try, it looks like more WPM is more important than accuracy for the ranking. I'm not sure this reflects good typing but whatever.  Also 3 of my words are neither correct nor wrong? (Or alternatively, how did I get 67 WPM if I only typed 62+2?)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:40:18 AM by Sc0ut »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #10776 on: September 24, 2015, 04:11:39 AM »
45 words per minute.
Spoiler: show
That test was hard as I can't touch type at all, I have to look at the keys so looking at the screen to type sucked so much who looks at the screen when they type like what do you expect to pop up on the screen a whole different set of words than the ones you're typing whhhhaaaaat how do people do that. And I know when I've typed a wrong letter and I backspace faster than I type and fix it before the next letter and it still marked me wrong its like my old French teacher who marked me wrong every time I started an answer with "Uhh" because they thought I was saying "àààà" or an english "a" and that was meaaaaaaaan.

Typing is hard. u__u My hands know no pose or poise. Like my terrible piano playing -__-
We had a special typing class in high school where we learned to touch type (also my first real access to a computer! :O) and it was horrible because it was like exam conditions with a teatowel over your hands and headphones that didn't fit on the drabbest, most clinical typing "game" (is the word "game" like a joke? Are they confusing it with "program" or "drill") ever, right after sewing class. So just like basic math,
Spoiler: show
think of the saddest, most depressed way to learn times tables and thats what it was
it never sunk in and I can't do it. ;__; I'm so amazed and envious of people who can just list off multiplications and mental maths (like, what the HECK is long division) and whiz about on the keyboard u__u very cool

Hey Sunflower, do you think the typing thing qualifies as something that should be listed in the personality tests thread or something? Otherwise it will get lost forever in here.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10777 on: September 24, 2015, 04:15:12 AM »
well I'm expecting my birthday in january to be quite spectacular. or is that wayy wishful thinking

Just you wait. Just. You. Wait.

Apparently I must have been really inspired yesterday because the fimby-no counter has been doubled overnight :P

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #10778 on: September 24, 2015, 04:45:09 AM »
I am a Capricorn. Yay. It feels a little like being the Christmas and New Years hangover afterthought. If I was lucky we still had the tree up on my birthday. No one ever knew my birthday, either, because it was in the middle of summer holidays and everyone was on holiday, either to the beach or to Queensland for warm weather or some even overseas.

Also because the weather likes being a horrible troll, it always tends to rain on my birthday. In the middle of summer. *shakes fist at weather*

Actually, that will be very odd next birthday! It will be the very first time since I turned 4 that I will have a birthday in winter, making it in total the 4th winter birthday I have ever had, and the 2nd that I will be able to remember. (For those curious, yes, it rained on the other birthday too. Rain seems to like me.)

*hoping it will snow or else do nothing horrible* *is expecting it to rain yet again instead*

Typing? Typing.

WPM: 81

Keystrokes: 460

Correct words: 77

Wrong words: 9

Better than 93.69%

I hated learning touch typing. It was only when I began using chat at around 13 (MMOs and oekaki community) that I saw that this is an ultra ultra useful skill I NEED IT, and started seriously doing it in school. (Not to mention that in order to pass the IT requirements in my homeschooling curriculum back then you needed to have over 60w/p/m.) It also helped that the school* had a program that was actually FUN to do. (Earlier attempts to get me to do touch typing had included physical books that had lessons... that backfired spectacularly.)

*Yes, I did homeschooling through a school. 3 days a week learning at home, 2 days a week doing tests, music lessons and similar at school. I hated that school. I loved the curriculum because it taught you things logically (the maths I learned through that was some of the well-taught and explained I have ever had), and I could do it as fast as I liked (ended up finishing things like year 12 English and Word Building/Etymology at the age of 15). However, the school had some issues.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10779 on: September 24, 2015, 05:53:14 AM »
heh, me having a close-to-90 WPM seems to imply I'd now touch-typing, right? WRONG i actually type everythign with my index fingers i mean unicorn horn like a tool

C'mon, Haiz, if you'd joined the forum any earlier you'd have about 10,000 posts and be EMPEROR OF THE TWENTY UNIVERSES by now.   ;D

But are you an Aquarius?  I'm an Aquarius (though born in February).
BUT WOULD I BE A BENEVOLENT RULER

and yes. yes I am aquarius and this is my aquarius/zodiac tag because tumblr zodiacs are hilarious

Just you wait. Just. You. Wait.

Apparently I must have been really inspired yesterday because the fimby-no counter has been doubled overnight :P
is that
a good sign
or a bad sign
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10780 on: September 24, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »
is that
a good sign
or a bad sign

Well, it's like when you open the fridge and find out that you have 30 litres of chocolate milk, but it will go sour the next day j/k it's a good sign obv

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10781 on: September 24, 2015, 07:34:08 AM »

Ahaha yeah the chat kinda discovered it last night and wanted to try out the button. You can only hit it once a day though because you have to be logged into the forum to see it.

I am a Capricorn. Yay. It feels a little like being the Christmas and New Years hangover afterthought. If I was lucky we still had the tree up on my birthday.

Capricorn here also. I remember always feeling kinda bad because my sister had this cool water thing and I was a goat. I didn't want to be a goat. She also lucked out on chinese zodiac. She's a bunny and I'm a rat.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #10782 on: September 24, 2015, 07:47:34 AM »
I was actually born on the Taurus/Gemini cusp, which means I am technically both. :P
But I prefer to say I'm Gemini.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #10783 on: September 24, 2015, 08:13:06 AM »
I hated learning touch typing. It was only when I began using chat at around 13 (MMOs and oekaki community) that I saw that this is an ultra ultra useful skill I NEED IT, and started seriously doing it in school. (Not to mention that in order to pass the IT requirements in my homeschooling curriculum back then you needed to have over 60w/p/m.) It also helped that the school* had a program that was actually FUN to do. (Earlier attempts to get me to do touch typing had included physical books that had lessons... that backfired spectacularly.)

*homeschooling high-five*

I kept trying to do the test, and I kept getting bored until I realised it was only a one-minute timer.

Words per minute (WPM)   91
Keystrokes   481
(453 | 28)
Correct words   89
Wrong words   4
You are better than 96.2% of all users

I'm...pretty sure I get more words wrong normally though.

Ahaha yeah the chat kinda discovered it last night and wanted to try out the button. You can only hit it once a day though because you have to be logged into the forum to see it.

Capricorn here also. I remember always feeling kinda bad because my sister had this cool water thing and I was a goat. I didn't want to be a goat. She also lucked out on chinese zodiac. She's a bunny and I'm a rat.
If it's any consolation the capricorn is technically a cool water thing? I guess it depends on your definition of cool and whether or not a mer-goat fits it.

Also...heh. I shall join in No-ing Fimby.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10784 on: September 24, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »
If it's any consolation the capricorn is technically a cool water thing? I guess it depends on your definition of cool and whether or not a mer-goat fits it.

Oh now I'm not bothered by it at all. 7 year old me was quite competitive about these things :P but I actually quite enjoy being capricorn now. Goats are cool, they have square pupils.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help