Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387197 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10260 on: September 10, 2015, 02:56:06 PM »
This evening challenge : prepare something to eat for an unknown number of persons tomorrow evening.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10261 on: September 10, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »
mom actually asked me to come with her grocery shopping, which I haven't done in a while. this means I have to have some entertainment value as a person because bringing me grocery shopping means SUDDENLY MORE GROCERIES WHERE DID ALL THESE CHOCOLATES COME FROm ehehe he

that also meant listening to complaints about how they have """fixed""" the roads all the way
which
are pretty justified
because any updates to the roads where we live are RIDICULOUS

why would you build a sidewalk edge through the road?? what purpose does it serve??
you'll know where to find me.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10262 on: September 10, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
This evening challenge : prepare something to eat for an unknown number of persons tomorrow evening.

Minestrone, or some other soup/stew?  Dishes like that are easy to stretch "for an unknown number of persons." 

Do you have to deal with food allergies or picky eaters?  Here in California we always have to be prepared for someone who's vegetarian or gluten-free or who keeps kosher, etc. etc.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #10263 on: September 10, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »
mom actually asked me to come with her grocery shopping, which I haven't done in a while. this means I have to have some entertainment value as a person because bringing me grocery shopping means SUDDENLY MORE GROCERIES WHERE DID ALL THESE CHOCOLATES COME FROm ehehe he

that also meant listening to complaints about how they have """fixed""" the roads all the way
which
are pretty justified

why would you build a sidewalk edge through the road?? what purpose does it serve??

So I take it the Norwegian prologue characters' complaints about the bad roads are accurate?

(And Haiz, I'm sure even taking you to gas up the car has high entertainment value.  Can you sing a Viking version of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?  ;) )
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Mélusine

« Reply #10264 on: September 10, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »
Minestrone, or some other soup/stew?  Dishes like that are easy to stretch "for an unknown number of persons." 

Do you have to deal with food allergies or picky eaters?  Here in California we always have to be prepared for someone who's vegetarian or gluten-free or who keeps kosher, etc. etc.
It's more a "Okay, how many persons will stay a moment after the first lesson tomorrow evening, at nearly 10PM, and share a drink and something to eat to celebrate three ju-jutsu promotions ?" It's our first lesson after summer, so I have no idea at all, neither who will eat what or not if we have new members :D And it's a little difficult to bring something to eat warm... I'll make twice my salad recipe and cross my fingers. With the two other who celebrate their new belts coming with drinks and at least a cake and some cheeses, and considering the hour, I assume it might be all right... so why am I still asking myself if it will be enough ?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:09:08 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #10265 on: September 10, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »
So I take it the Norwegian prologue characters' complaints about the bad roads are accurate?

(And Haiz, I'm sure even taking you to gas up the car has high entertainment value.  Can you sing a Viking version of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?  ;) )
"Oh look, the roads are better, maybe we have crossed the swedish border"
- my family on roadtrips to finnmark

this place tho. this place just has it BAD because for some reason, whenever someone wants to "fix" something about the roads here, and it becomes worse. like, I don't KNOW how they come up with these solutions, like "oh hey let's build an underground passage, but make it replace the sidewalk so people who just wanted to keep to the same side have to pass underneath and then cross the road afterwards! and let's use STAIRS so bike and wheelchair users can't get anywhere! WHICH WE HAVE TO CLOSE IN WINTER!!! this is such a good solution obviously nobody will get hurt. especially not all the kids going to school who will walk on the road instead of using the passage!!!"

((I don't actually know how the bottle song goes but I think we have a norwegian equivalent, yes.........))
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:11:00 PM by Haiz »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10266 on: September 10, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »

which
are pretty justified

A road without potholes? What is this, Monte Carlo?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #10267 on: September 10, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
A road without potholes? What is this, Monte Carlo?
only missing because this part of the road has had so much of its asphalt replaced lately. we do not speak of the road to heimdal

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #10268 on: September 10, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »
"Oh look, the roads are better, maybe we have crossed the swedish border"
- my family on roadtrips to finnmark

this place tho. this place just has it BAD because for some reason, whenever someone wants to "fix" something about the roads here, and it becomes worse. like, I don't KNOW how they come up with these solutions, like "oh hey let's build an underground passage, but make it replace the sidewalk so people who just wanted to keep to the same side have to pass underneath and then cross the road afterwards! and let's use STAIRS so bike and wheelchair users can't get anywhere! WHICH WE HAVE TO CLOSE IN WINTER!!! this is such a good solution obviously nobody will get hurt. especially not all the kids going to school who will walk on the road instead of using the passage!!!"

((I don't actually know how the bottle song goes but I think we have a norwegian equivalent, yes.........))

"99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" is a classic (stupid) road trip/camp song.  The lyrics are merely:
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer!
Take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer...
(etc. until you get down to "no more bottles of beer" or the driver/camp counselor makes you stop.)

Rockabilly version:
/>
A funny country song that incorporates "99 Bottles...":
/>

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10269 on: September 10, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
only missing because this part of the road has had so much of its asphalt replaced lately. we do not speak of the road to heimdal

For a second I thought you were talking about the god. Kind of ironic considering that the road to the god is basically a rainbow.

Bifrost is not what it used to be.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #10270 on: September 10, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
For a second I thought you were talking about the god. Kind of ironic considering that the road to the god is basically a rainbow.

Bifrost is not what it used to be.
a rainbow WOULD be preferable to that monstrosity of a road to be honest

i apologize for the tiny norwegian profanity is that against the rules

98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer... [/i](etc. until you get down to "no more bottles of beer" or the driver/camp counselor makes you stop.)
will it be viking enough to switch out "beer" with "mead"?
and i KNOW we have a norwegian equivalent, but I never remember how it goes. I also think we're more fond of the bus driver song. the extremely repetitive one about the bus driver being a happy man - which you sing over and over until the bus driver is anything BUT a happy man...

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10271 on: September 10, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:28:53 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #10272 on: September 10, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
World history classes in a church. I'll be jealous, Vi...
And for what I saw, your french isn't so bad, don't worry :)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10273 on: September 10, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
will it be viking enough to switch out "beer" with "mead"?
^^exactly what I was thinking reading the thread

School's still out because of the teacher strike. I suspect it'll start Monday (3 days late), but that might be assuming too much willingness to compromise. Also the School Board is threatening legal action against the teachers' union. Bleh.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #10274 on: September 10, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »
School's still out because of the teacher strike. I suspect it'll start Monday (3 days late), but that might be assuming too much willingness to compromise. Also the School Board is threatening legal action against the teachers' union. Bleh.

Wow, that's really crazy • _ • It's even crazier because I haven't heard anything about it outside of this forum. we live in the same country you all

YEET