Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387580 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #930 on: October 31, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »
Once upon a time K-mart had these swimsuits in stock with nice support, and a REALLY nice design that actually made the swimsuit look like a really short, cute dress. Slightly low back, but that was the only problem. I immediately bought one in navy-blue with a nice flower print that didn't look like an old lady sort of cloth. I haven't seen them since XD

Rule of thumb, I've found, is that sports places usually sell the more comfortable swimsuits (as in, don't have to worry about things showing or lack of support). Buuuut as a trade-off, they usually come in really boring designs and either black or navy colours. Otherwise, check online. I actually recently was looking at an American website that shipped some really really nice swimsuits worldwide (think Audrey Hepburn style things), but I seem to have not bookmarked it (and I've cleared my history since). Sorry D: But they do exist!

As to bodies, female one is bleh to someone who likes low-maintenance. Wearing bras is irritating, having a period is irritating, being forced to wear makeup by siblings/friends is irritating, all these creams and things that people around me seem to be obsessed with are irritating, having babies is irritating and painful and messes around with your body like nothing else (not the babies themselves, though they can be), not having as much physical strength is irritating. If the human race had a third body type that was neither male nor female and had no reproductive abilities (like Gong Hua, if anyone here reads that series), I'd choose that one. But it doesn't, so I'll deal with what I have, haha.

Nnnn, also a freckled person here. I don't tan, however much I'd like to. Just freckles, and just burns...
Hehehe I'm too scared to go into Kmart ;___; or Target! A guy got stabbed in our local one and I'm too scared to go there now. And they search your bags too, which is scary.

The body stuff is blagh enough on its own, but the Levels Of Terrible can then wildly vary on a scale from "Normal Terribleness" to "Extreme Extreme Terribleness of Terriblenesses See a Doctor" ;____; it's like, you live in the haunted house of Female Issues, then discover there's a whole hidden basement level with an actual demonic poltergeist or something O____O

Creams and makeup are yucky-feeling for me, I prefer the silent sneery judgment of society for not wearing makeup than going through my days feeling like my face is covered in sticky gunks :S even sunblock feels really yucky (and kind of claustrophobic like makeup. It's weird, I can't handle layers of clothes or face stuff?) and it blocks up all my pores but I have to wear it or I'll get skin cancer :/

Yup, I'm the same: can't tan, just burrrrn and freckle :P and then have to get the big freckles cut out ;__;
I'd look really funny if I tanned....hehehehe O___O

Hmmm, I think my energy levels have dropped a lot (you can probably tell by all my weird negativity :( ) so I might go to bed....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:21:20 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #931 on: October 31, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
Yup, I'm the same: can't tan, just burrrrn and freckle :P

I burn and tan. It's odd, actually, because honestly I'd rather burn once or twice and then be not-tan again. :P I don't like being tan.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #932 on: October 31, 2014, 08:52:25 AM »
Hehehe I'm too scared to go into Kmart ;___; or Target! A guy got stabbed in our local one and I'm too scared to go there now. And they search your bags too, which is scary.

The body stuff is blagh enough on its own, but the Levels Of Terrible can then wildly vary on a scale from "Normal Terribleness" to "Extreme Extreme Terribleness of Terriblenesses See a Doctor" ;____; it's like, you live in the haunted house of Female Issues, then discover there's a whole hidden basement level with an actual demonic poltergeist or something O____O

Creams and makeup are yucky-feeling for me, I prefer the silent sneery judgment of society for not wearing makeup than going through my days feeling like my face is covered in sticky gunks :S even sunblock feels really yucky (and kind of claustrophobic like makeup. It's weird, I can't handle layers of clothes or face stuff?) and it blocks up all my pores but I have to wear it or I'll get skin cancer :/

Yup, I'm the same: can't tan, just burrrrn and freckle :P and then have to get the big freckles cut out ;__;
I'd look really funny if I tanned....hehehehe O___O

Hmmm, I think my energy levels have dropped a lot (you can probably tell by all my weird negativity :( ) so I might go to bed....

Weird, I thought it was only the right to search your bag if they suspect you of stealing. Not, We're going to search your bags every time you walk out our doors because we like going to insanely tedious lengths like that! And dude, I thought parts of Launceston were bad XD Don't think we've had a public store incident like that before. Many stabbings, yes, but not usually public places. But then, considering local news, I'm usually way out of the loop.

Uuuurgh that is the perfect description.

I'm the same way! Dislike anything on my face, sunblock inclusive. So instead I end up wearing hats, sunglasses, and long-sleeved shirts/long pants/skirts. I do put on sunblock sometimes, like for days at the beach where I'm guaranteed to burn otherwise, but as little as I can get away with XD Make-up I sometimes put up with, because it is actually fun to experiment with. It's like painting, only on a live being. With additional complications of only being able to see that being in reverse-fashion via mirrors, plus not having correct brushes. But the gunky feeling is so bad, I only put it on a few times a year XD

I hate it when I burn or stay in the sun a little too long, and all freckles turn daaaark.

I think I'll be off now too, I'm super tired from spending the whole day walking around town on boots with high-ish heels doing stupid errands (all my other shoes are locked awaaay because my room still isn't finished and most of my belongings are stuck in my bathroom) and doing a two-hour taekwondo session after that. It was a good session, but eeeergh, tired.
Am notified of private messages via email.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #933 on: October 31, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »
I burn and tan. It's odd, actually, because honestly I'd rather burn once or twice and then be not-tan again. :P I don't like being tan.

You guys are all so good at saying exactly what I mean to say! My solution is to not get burned - which works in theory, but not in reality when you spend an hour or more in the sun every day because of days like today. It's been raining for three days straight.
So yeah, I avoid burns, but still get tan. And I don't freckle unless I'm burned badly - which is why all my freckles are on the back of my left shoulder. (My mom has always been really careful about us kid's skin.) It's very interesting how burns/freckles/skin works for different people.

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #934 on: October 31, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
France

Cons :
climate much too varied, trolls would always find a nice settlement somewhere
large cities, good transportation system, long terrestrial borders
the English might sail to France ;-)

Pros
surprise strikes in trains and airports would slow down the infection spreading
cellar looting would slow down troll spreading
same thing for various regulations compliance (but would they care ?)
some areas with very low population density
trolls never dealt with parisian taxi drivers nor with café waiters
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #935 on: October 31, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
I only get what OrigamiOwl called a farmer's tan because I don't often sunbathe. I don't like sunbathing really, it's so incredibly boring and uncomfortable.

I have been badly sunburnt in winter though, the intensity of solar rays reflected by snow is no joke. People often forget sun lotion when they head up into the mountains because, well, it's winter.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #936 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
Weird, I thought it was only the right to search your bag if they suspect you of stealing. Not, We're going to search your bags every time you walk out our doors because we like going to insanely tedious lengths like that! And dude, I thought parts of Launceston were bad XD Don't think we've had a public store incident like that before. Many stabbings, yes, but not usually public places. But then, considering local news, I'm usually way out of the loop.

Uuuurgh that is the perfect description.

I'm the same way! Dislike anything on my face, sunblock inclusive. So instead I end up wearing hats, sunglasses, and long-sleeved shirts/long pants/skirts. I do put on sunblock sometimes, like for days at the beach where I'm guaranteed to burn otherwise, but as little as I can get away with XD Make-up I sometimes put up with, because it is actually fun to experiment with. It's like painting, only on a live being. With additional complications of only being able to see that being in reverse-fashion via mirrors, plus not having correct brushes. But the gunky feeling is so bad, I only put it on a few times a year XD

I hate it when I burn or stay in the sun a little too long, and all freckles turn daaaark.

The Target in the mall has a little 40m thoroughfare path through the middle and if I take a short cut through there they demand to search my bags ÒmÓ I don't think I look suspicious! I just look not-amazed at their products ;P

I would wear long sleeve shirts too, but they flick on the crazy switch where I have to either take it off and throw it in a corner, or push the sleeves up. Even if it's sleeting! Or a woolen jumper-worn-as-a-shirt. The only exceptions are jackets and coats :S
Maybe I'm weird...does anyone else freak out over wearing tight layers? I think I might do it because of the terrible layered school uniforms (six layerssss?!?? Stockings under skirt [+ underclothes], over shirt, under jumper and tie, under blazer.) I had to wear for years and years....
Yeah I think I'm just weird :P

Sounds like quite a workout! Heels!? Night Lenny, have a good weekend :3

You guys are all so good at saying exactly what I mean to say! My solution is to not get burned - which works in theory, but not in reality when you spend an hour or more in the sun every day because of days like today. It's been raining for three days straight.
So yeah, I avoid burns, but still get tan. And I don't freckle unless I'm burned badly - which is why all my freckles are on the back of my left shoulder. (My mom has always been really careful about us kid's skin.) It's very interesting how burns/freckles/skin works for different people.

Hehe that's why I prefer dark cloudy weather for having fun outside X3 buuuut the UV still gets you eventually, even if it's cloudy :( On a summers day I can get badly burnt in less than 15 minutes....as I learnt last Christmas after a simple 400m family stroll in a sleeveless dress I was guilted into wearing :P I was an instant lobster. ;__; I had sun block on but I think it had timed out maybe :/
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #937 on: October 31, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
My aRTD book is here! It's beautiful and perfect and everything I could ever hope for! You can't imagine my excited squees when the postwoman said "Ah, right... I forgot to give you a book package" (she had given me a letter and I was very, very disappointed, then she called me back for the package) and I saw the stamp reading "Suomi"  ;D ;D ;D The pretty art! Grumpy Hannu and cute Ville! The legends! Mikko's poems! The fanart contest!! So prettyprettyprettyyyyy!1!¡¡!1!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #938 on: October 31, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
My aRTD book is here!

*Considers clapping* Mmm, nope, I'm too jealous. :P

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #939 on: October 31, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
As to bodies, female one is bleh to someone who likes low-maintenance. Wearing bras is irritating, having a period is irritating, being forced to wear makeup by siblings/friends is irritating, all these creams and things that people around me seem to be obsessed with are irritating, having babies is irritating and painful and messes around with your body like nothing else (not the babies themselves, though they can be), not having as much physical strength is irritating. If the human race had a third body type that was neither male nor female and had no reproductive abilities (like Gong Hua, if anyone here reads that series), I'd choose that one. But it doesn't, so I'll deal with what I have, haha.

Most of this? I just don't bother. Noone can foce me to use makeup or weird creams. Noone can force me to use bras. They're not always as necessary as they want you to think. The ridicuolus reproductive organs are still annoying though, as is the shortness and lack of physical strenght.

My aRTD book is here! It's beautiful and perfect and everything I could ever hope for! You can't imagine my excited squees when the postwoman said "Ah, right... I forgot to give you a book package" (she had given me a letter and I was very, very disappointed, then she called me back for the package) and I saw the stamp reading "Suomi"  ;D ;D ;D The pretty art! Grumpy Hannu and cute Ville! The legends! Mikko's poems! The fanart contest!! So prettyprettyprettyyyyy!1!¡¡!1!

Congratulations! It truly is a beautiful book, isn't it?
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #940 on: October 31, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
Svalbard counts, right?

I want to say, no. I don't think it's a part of the known world anyway.
 Mostly quiet.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #941 on: October 31, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »

Nnnn, also a freckled person here. I don't tan, however much I'd like to. Just freckles, and just burns...

Oh, having a female body can indeed be very irritating, but no major force ever (no sister, no friend, nothing except for theater directors) can ever force me to wear makeup or creamy stuff. also, I tend to get burned, then when the burn goes away, for some reason I'm magically tanned, but I would prefer not to get burned and to be very pale. (Worst burn I ever got was on my feet. Walking hurts, a lot.

Most of this? I just don't bother. Noone can foce me to use makeup or weird creams. Noone can force me to use bras. They're not always as necessary as they want you to think. The ridicuolus reproductive organs are still annoying though, as is the shortness and lack of physical strenght.

Congratulations! It truly is a beautiful book, isn't it?
You said most of what I want to say about being a girl.

And yes, it's more than beautiful! English unfortunately doesn't have the right superlative to use, it's bellissimissimissimissimo!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #942 on: October 31, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
And yes, it's more than beautiful! English unfortunately doesn't have the right superlative to use, it's bellissimissimissimissimo!

Well, you could just tack lots of "very"s on. But I guess that doesn't sound quite the same.

*resumes saving funds waiting for the first SSSS book to come out*

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #943 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »
I think mine is here, but I need to go to the big national post office downtown to get it for some unexplained reason (probably customs?) and the place is only open on weekdays, 8:15-5, which is completely coincidentally ::) a time period in which I will almost certainly not be free. :/

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #944 on: October 31, 2014, 01:48:22 PM »
I promised I'd write a scary story for halloween. Here it is, tell me what you think.

You are walking home along a trail in the forest. It's dark, but you have walked it many times before and know the way. Somewhere above the roof of branches is a clear, starlit sky. Down here you have a hard time finding your feet.

As you walk, you begin to hear a strange sound, alike that of footsteps.

You stop, and the sound stops.
You start walking again, and the sound restarts.
You figure it's just your own footsteps.

Around you, the shadows of the trees melt together into shapeless darkness. If you didn't know the trail as well as you do, you would have had to reach out and touch them not to crash. As it is, you pull your jacket tighter around you. The night is cold, and you imagine you can feel eyes on you.

The sound of footsteps doesn't stop. You pick up the pace a little, and the sound is maybe just a moment off from the sound of your own shoes.

Even though you know you shouldn't, you stop and turn around.

There is nothing there.
Nothing you can see.
The darkness is too deep, and the trees are standing too close, but there is nothing. You're sure.

You turn around and start walking again.
The footsteps start too.

The feeling of eyes following you only gets stronger.
The jacket doesn't help much.
You strain your ears, trying to make sure you can really hear nothing but yourself.
There's nothing there. There's nothing there. There's nothing there.
The sound is definitely off now, maybe half a second out of sync with your own.

You start running.

Half a second later, they start running too. Only slightly faster than yourself.

Up ahead you can see the light off your porch.

Running faster, you reach your starlit garden, you run up the stairs and hit the door.

You stop, heart beating like a drum.
You pull out your key.
You force your shaking hands to fit it in the lock.
You turn it around just as cold fingers curl around your neck.
 Mostly quiet.