Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409495 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #915 on: October 30, 2014, 11:38:56 PM »
Well, while its already been shown in comic, I can do Norway:

Pros:
Vikings.
Lots of valleys and mountains to hide in.
Vikings.
Trolls try to avoid awkward eye contact, reducing the risk of being spotted.
Vikings.
Nice looking longboats.
Vikings.
Infrastructure is likely of the same quality as pre-Rash Norway.
Did I mention vikings?

Cons:
Beastly polar bears and moose.
Infrastructure is likely of the same quality as pre-Rash Norway.
Fjords gets old quickly, especially now that they are the only habitable areas.
'What does the Fox Say' might now be a folk-tune.
Norway has polar bears!?!?

I honestly think one of the best things with our community is that there's very little of that kind of humor. Not that a bit of good-natured mocking's necessarily bad, but it does make things marginally less friendly. I'm hoping we can keep the welcoming and fuzzy feel of this place for a long time.
Same.  Plus, the other humor can make it hard to tell when someone is being serious or not.  *Sigh*  Learning about sarcasm was tough, as a kid. 
Feel free to PM.

Fenris

« Reply #916 on: October 30, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »
Norway has polar bears!?!?
Svalbard counts, right?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #917 on: October 31, 2014, 12:22:18 AM »
Svalbard counts, right?
Not in the SSSS storyverse, I'm afraid. (As far as we know, that is. Svalbard is off the World Map.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #918 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:15 AM »
Yesterday I wrote an exam/essay about a play that had thermodynamics and the chaos theory all through it, (it's "Arcadia" by Tom Stoppard) but I was focusing in the gardens symbolism and connection to Romanticism instead :P

Ooh, "Arcadia"!  I loved that play when I saw it years ago in S.F.  I wish I'd known your exam topic -- I could have sent you a PDF of the play program's essay on the exactly that:  Garden symbolism and the opportunities suggested by the (apparently) lush, natural, irregular landscapes of the new Romantic-type "English" garden vs. the prim, rigid geometries of the old "French" style bedded gardens (a la Versailles). 

Have you read/seen anything else by Stoppard?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #919 on: October 31, 2014, 12:32:44 AM »
Ooh, "Arcadia"!  I loved that play when I saw it years ago in S.F.  I wish I'd known your exam topic -- I could have sent you a PDF of the play program's essay on the exactly that:  Garden symbolism and the opportunities suggested by the (apparently) lush, natural, irregular landscapes of the new Romantic-type "English" garden vs. the prim, rigid geometries of the old "French" style bedded gardens (a la Versailles). 

Have you read/seen anything else by Stoppard?

We did 'The Real Inspector Hound' last year :)

I've never seen it performed :( but it was great to read! Stoppard's a clever dude, I like his style. All that mirroring and stuff. :P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Haverberg

« Reply #920 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:04 AM »
American upper midwest:

Pros:
Cold
North of Minneapolis/St Paul - Eau Claire - Madison lots of remote towns
Large number of lakes for fishing
Heavy machinery for engineering work
Northern wilderness provides subsistence level support and natural choke points for defense
Indian tribes that are used to living without and thus better adapted
Oil (North Dakota)
Small scale ranches with perimeter fencing to keep out wolves
No one will flee here because of the cold, reducing refugee pressure

Cons:
Cold
North Dakota
Cold
Southern half will be heavily infested
Cold
Fluent :usa:
Learning :uk:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #921 on: October 31, 2014, 01:11:05 AM »

I'm currently browsing through a swimsuit catalogue and not crying I've noticed that high-cuts are everywhere. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I thought those died off with the Walkman!!
*sigh* not that I was going to find a new swimsuit anyway, but still. Yeeeeeeshhhhh!! There are no normal ones!! D8
This one isn't supportive, that one is held together with string, and those ones are full of giant holes WHaT iS gOIng On. U___U
I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen to dudes.
98% sure.

Have you looked in catalogs/stores for outdoor sports, competitive swimmers, etc.?  Those generally have swimsuits with more practical cuts (or at least, won't fall off while you're swimming).  I don't know what you have in Australia, but U.S. equivalents would be something like REI, TitleNine.com (exclusively women's athletic/outdoors gear), or various big chain sporting goods stores. 

General apparel catalogs like Lands' End also carry non-embarrassing swimsuits (I've bought several).  They also have a large menu of mix-and-match tops and bottoms, including swim shorts.  The only problem:  I don't know if they ship to Australia.

Good luck!  In a country so blessed with beaches, and full of champion swimmers and surfers, hopefully *some* store caters to women who actually want to go in the water!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:21:21 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #922 on: October 31, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »
Hey guys,

I got loads of work and am happy falling asleep early these days. Hope you are all well. I haven't got time reading through the recent pages, so I will do this, when I return from work. Is Heloween celebrated everywhere around the world? Last year there was only one kid ringing the door and he was so happy, that we had apples instead of suggars. Wish you all a great day/evening/good night :)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #923 on: October 31, 2014, 03:18:46 AM »
Boy I jumped when I saw ThisCats avatar today! That is one scary Haloween-cat!

Elrew

« Reply #925 on: October 31, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »
Britain
Pros
 -Lots of islands to escape to (I've heard the Isle of Man is self sustaining so it might have closed its borders)
 -Ridiculous weather to coax out trolls with glorious sunshine then SUPRISE ATTACK with torrential rain
 -Motorways, moors and small villages to contain the infection
 -Sail to Norway!!
Cons
 -Lots of big cities
 -Lots of foreign air travel into aforementioned cities
 -Weapons are hard to come by
 -Infected seals and otters will make it hard to keep islands safe
 -Trolls can cross from Dover to Calais in the tunnel
 -The Norwegians might sail to  Britain D:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #926 on: October 31, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »
I'm currently browsing through a swimsuit catalogue and not crying I've noticed that high-cuts are everywhere. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I thought those died off with the Walkman!!

Are they? I wouldn't really know, we never get swim wear catalogues up here except for the occasional Panos Emporio (Swedish retailer) catalogue which we promptly recycle. Surely there must be some department store with a more conservative assortment?

I think they're for dudes who like to look at sunbathing girls -____-  but that's just me being grumpy and weird]I think they're for dudes who like to look at sunbathing girls -____-  but that's just me being grumpy and weird

Well, yes, probably, maybe. But you know, the point in sunbathing is getting even exposure. Otherwise you'll end up looking like me, almond tan on arms, head and legs and corpse-white on the rest. I look like a Frankenstein's monster sewn together from parts bought from Mexican drug cartels.

General apparel catalogs like Lands' End also carry non-embarrassing swimsuits (I've bought several).  They also have a large menu of mix-and-match tops and bottoms, including swim shorts.  The only problem:  I don't know if they ship to Australia.

You're saying a store called "Land's End" doesn't ship to Tasmania? I call misleading advertising.

And, yeah, the lower maintenance body is a nice perk to being male.  I'm sure the other side has it's perks too, though.   :-X

Jumping through the proverbial ring of fire eh.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #927 on: October 31, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »
Are they? I wouldn't really know, we never get swim wear catalogues up here except for the occasional Panos Emporio (Swedish retailer) catalogue which we promptly recycle. Surely there must be some department store with a more conservative assortment?

Well, yes, probably, maybe. But you know, the point in sunbathing is getting even exposure. Otherwise you'll end up looking like me, almond tan on arms, head and legs and corpse-white on the rest. I look like a Frankenstein's monster sewn together from parts bought from Mexican drug cartels.

You're saying a store called "Land's End" doesn't ship to Tasmania? I call misleading advertising.

Jumping through the proverbial ring of fire eh.

Aww no! Not the Frankenstein monster! I have a faint farmers tan on my arms, neck and face X'D but it's more "white and freckles, white and freckles, white a--RED! RUDDY RED! FRECKLES EVERYWHERE! RE--Oh wait it's white again..." X___X

I think they do ship to here, in fact, there might be a shop that sells them in the city maybe.....?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:36:01 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #928 on: October 31, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
Once upon a time K-mart had these swimsuits in stock with nice support, and a REALLY nice design that actually made the swimsuit look like a really short, cute dress. Slightly low back, but that was the only problem. I immediately bought one in navy-blue with a nice flower print that didn't look like an old lady sort of cloth. I haven't seen them since XD

Rule of thumb, I've found, is that sports places usually sell the more comfortable swimsuits (as in, don't have to worry about things showing or lack of support). Buuuut as a trade-off, they usually come in really boring designs and either black or navy colours. Otherwise, check online. I actually recently was looking at an American website that shipped some really really nice swimsuits worldwide (think Audrey Hepburn style things), but I seem to have not bookmarked it (and I've cleared my history since). Sorry D: But they do exist!

As to bodies, female one is bleh to someone who likes low-maintenance. Wearing bras is irritating, having a period is irritating, being forced to wear makeup by siblings/friends is irritating, all these creams and things that people around me seem to be obsessed with are irritating, having babies is irritating and painful and messes around with your body like nothing else (not the babies themselves, though they can be), not having as much physical strength is irritating. If the human race had a third body type that was neither male nor female and had no reproductive abilities (like Gong Hua, if anyone here reads that series), I'd choose that one. But it doesn't, so I'll deal with what I have, haha.

Nnnn, also a freckled person here. I don't tan, however much I'd like to. Just freckles, and just burns...
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #929 on: October 31, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »
Aww no! Not the Frankenstein monster! I have a faint farmers tan on my arms, neck and face X'D but it's more "white and freckles, white and freckles, white a--RED! RUDDY RED! FRECES EVERYWHERE! RE--Oh wait it's white again..." X___X

I think they do ship to here, in fact, there might be a shop that sells them in the city maybe.....?

I guess one might say you are a colourful person (both literally and personality-wise).

Is Heloween celebrated everywhere around the world? Last year there was only one kid ringing the door and he was so happy, that we had apples instead of suggars. Wish you all a great day/evening/good night :)

Well, the weather is really bad today so hopefully there won't be any rascals around. Living in an area people seldom go to also helps.