Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387598 times)

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9930 on: August 30, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
LOOK!!  FLOWERS!!!!   ;D

Bedding Sharon Rose by DaveBro, on Flickr

And the really obsessive 24-brick border on which I used a protractor to make a perfect circle.  ::)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9931 on: August 30, 2015, 06:10:59 PM »
I'M SO SORRY NO MORE ANT TALK FROM NOW
fog talk reminds me of another Childhood Memory though if you're okay reading about ambhibians and reptiles and stuff

when I was with a lot of kids from school up at the Local Mountain somewhere for camping purposes, and everyone managed to catch small frogs. like, everyone had a tiny pet frog and let them swim around in small ponds and stuff. Then came two of the older kids along, and they had big frogs in their palms. everyone was all "OOOH WHERE DID YOU GET THESE", and they pointed to a Mysterious and Foggy part of the mountain.

Me, having no frog pet at all, decided that i want a Big Frog for a pet so I could play with the others AND be admired, right. So me and some trusted frends went right into the foggy parts to explore for a while, probably worrying the adults for a bit and  maybe we did get a little lost. but when we returned, I didn't have a big frog - but a lizard. We had found it chilling on the bottom of a stream and it had blue stripes and a smol tongue and it was super cute and was totally ok with being held. I was admired by everyone around me until the end of the day when we all released our pets. it was cool

I love amphibians and reptiles and stuff, that certainly doesn't disgust me! (Not that you have to cater to me by not talking about ants, it's not like I get queasy. Just really disgusted.)
It reminds me of when my sisters and I used to go to a pool/stream of runoff water by my dad's apartment that we called "Frog Pool" because of all the frogs that lived there. One summer we found gigantic tadpoles and had so much fun catching them ;D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9932 on: August 30, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Thankfully Iceland has no such problem, I mean temperature-wise. Humidity you can't escape but at least it's the cold kind of humidity, last time I had to survive humidity + heat (some years back in Japan during the rainy season) I got so ill I managed to impress even myself, and made a solemn decision to forever avoid Japan during early summer...

Fortunately it's a rarity here too, because it's not so much the temperature as it's the combination of drizzle and sun. It's like the former insulates and amplifies the effect of the latter and makes life generally miserable.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9933 on: August 30, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »
Bedding Sharon Rose

And the really obsessive 24-brick border on which I used a protractor to make a perfect circle.  ::)
first thing I thought when I saw this:

(Not that you have to cater to me by not talking about ants, it's not like I get queasy. Just really disgusted.)[/sub]
do you get........ antsy
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9934 on: August 30, 2015, 06:17:50 PM »
Yes, please change the conversation away from ants. I don't have the proper reaction pic for this, but I've been making the most disgusted face while reading through this discussion >^<
And it's a very funny memory, I might have a photo somewhere.

Frog ? I never tried to catch one, you seems to have nice memories with them :) But I remember the grass snake during my next summer. (Remember = two images, which... is enough.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #9935 on: August 30, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »
And it's a very funny memory, I might have a photo somewhere.

Frog ? I never tried to catch one, you seems to have nice memories with them :) But I remember the grass snake during my next summer. (Remember = two images, which... is enough.)

I caught a frog once! With my hands, I think. Put it in a jar, showed it off to my grandma, then released it again.

Very ladylike of me.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #9936 on: August 30, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
So I just came back from a short preparation retreat just for the staff that will work on summer camp, and it was AWESOME.
The place is absolutely gorgeous, everything is green, the days were sunny and the nights were chilly, and there were lots of cool people, and lots and lots of birds. Everytime we go there I love that place more (the dreamworld landscape that I described on another thread is based on it).

The only downside to the camp is those murderous mosquitoes. They managed to bit me on my hands while I was working. :/
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #9937 on: August 30, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »

>snip!<

Aye, Admiral, thar was a boatload o' kneelin' and risin' and much creakin' o' me timbers on that thar watch!  8)
 ;D Congratulations Admiral Haiz!!!  ;D

So I guess the image is from a game that all the kids have grown up playing? 
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9938 on: August 30, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
So I guess the image is from a game that all the kids have grown up playing?
nah, it's from the Dreamworks movie Joseph: King of Dreams, based on that one biblical tale. There was a whole song montage where he carefully built a circular rock wall around a sprout in prison.

also thanks for the congratulations! jeez, I've forgotten to thank people in the promotions thread, too. how rude of me
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:26:44 PM by Haiz »

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #9939 on: August 30, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
nah, it's from the Dreamworks movie Joseph: King of Dreams, based on that one biblical tale. There was a whole song montage where he carefully built a circular rock wall around a sprout in prison.

Ah.  Thanks for the context.  Was it part of the State church curriculum?  (Sounds like an attempt to either inject fun, or lighten the teacher's prep).
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9940 on: August 30, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »
also thanks for the congratulations! jeez, I've forgotten to thank people in the promotions thread, too. how rude of me

...Oops, I had been purposefully not doing that because I didn't think it was necessary. >_>

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9941 on: August 30, 2015, 08:40:07 PM »

Even though those movies might have been subtly brainwashing me into finding Christianity super interesting, I still really enjoyed them for their beautiful animation and storytelling.
Prince of Egypt was one of my favorite movies a a child, just because it was so cool!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9942 on: August 31, 2015, 05:35:12 AM »
...Oops, I had been purposefully not doing that because I didn't think it was necessary. >_>

I'm 1) norwegian and 2) diagnosed with aspergers, you don't really want to look up to me for social cues... But I guess thanking people is nice even if not strictly necessary??

Even though those movies might have been subtly brainwashing me into finding Christianity super interesting, I still really enjoyed them for their beautiful animation and storytelling.
Prince of Egypt was one of my favorite movies a a child, just because it was so cool!
prince of egypt is an actual masterpiece though. I never thought much about the religious aspect as a kid, but dang did I love animated movies, I rewatched the same ones a billion times. Things haven't changed much since then

Ah.  Thanks for the context.  Was it part of the State church curriculum?  (Sounds like an attempt to either inject fun, or lighten the teacher's prep).
is state church curriculum a thing?? I think this particular movie was an attemt at redoing the massive success that was The Prince of Egypt.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:38:29 AM by Haiz »

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #9943 on: August 31, 2015, 05:44:34 AM »
prince of egypt is an actual masterpiece though. I never thought much about the religious aspect as a kid, but dang did I love animated movies, I rewatched the same ones a billion times. Things haven't changed much since then

Oh God wow prince of Egypt! It's been a while since I watched in its entirety I don't remember watching it hahaha I must have watched it or else I wouldn't have the DVD but I did recently repeatedly listen/watch the plagues.

I'll plop them in the music thread, but oh wow it's so beautiful the film.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #9944 on: August 31, 2015, 06:00:34 AM »

is state church curriculum a thing??

Looks like not any more.  The Professora got church grades on her report card, which initially surprised me to hear.  She may also have over-simplified the system for casual conversation.
           Chapter Breaks Survived: