Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411605 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9915 on: August 30, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »
Why freak out? Ants are cool.
one of my earliest memories as a smol child was stopping in the middle of a wooden bridge that was also an ant highway. wearing sandals. they were all over my feet and i think i screamed a lot.
ANOTHER time i kept trying to dry my face that kept hurting more and more and there was an ant in the towel?? for some reason??
i mean none of these are the ant's faults but i freak out either way

combat the ants with SCIENCE ok that's a good idea might try that

Haiz: Art triggers never fail to amuse me. This one is oddly accurate, almost as if you were there.

That thing about the Fabias is so oddly specific it must be some weird illuminati plot. Fabias only. By ferrets specifically. SuspiciousDipper.jpg.
I kinda imagined you as this:

but like...... slightly long-leggeder and sitting on a skoda.

as for the ferrets, WELL one of the reasons could be the fabias using cheaper parts than the other cars but it could also totally be the ferretinati. ferruminati. ferrel... i give up.
you'll know where to find me.

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9916 on: August 30, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
one of my earliest memories as a smol child was stopping in the middle of a wooden bridge that was also an ant highway. wearing sandals. they were all over my feet and i think i screamed a lot.

I have a similar memory of wearing swimming flippers while walking around someone's yard as a kid and somehow managing to stand on an ants nest and having them all climbing up all over my legs. I freaked out a bit at that. Other than that, they are all over our kitchen ever year and the home remedies never seem to help.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9917 on: August 30, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
ANOTHER time i kept trying to dry my face that kept hurting more and more and there was an ant in the towel?? for some reason??
i mean none of these are the ant's faults but i freak out either way
one time we took the canoe out with the intention of having a picnic on one of the islands in the lake
except the island we picked was ONE GIANT ANTHILL
and we didn't figure it out until we'd got all our stuff spread out and they started biting us :(
that was not fun
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9918 on: August 30, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
No ants for me ; my first memory involves hens. A lot of hens for a two-years old. And some turkeys.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #9919 on: August 30, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
I know it seems cruel, but if you really hate ants and there's an anthill causing problems in your garden, pour boiling water into it. Sorts it out very quickly, although it's only if you're okay with killing a lot of ants.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9920 on: August 30, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
I know it seems cruel, but if you really hate ants and there's an anthill causing problems in your garden, pour boiling water into it. Sorts it out very quickly, although it's only if you're okay with killing a lot of ants.

I've heard people recommend chlorine. Not sure how wise that is considering that chlorine is an ecological toxin (but maybe that is the point).

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9921 on: August 30, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
ok anticide totally seems like a solution that I will be looking into later, but tbh I'm more worried about the fact that they can creep in through the windowsills at all... that shouldn't be a thing that is happening õ_õ
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:24:29 PM by Haiz »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9922 on: August 30, 2015, 05:29:32 PM »
ok anticide totally seems like a solution that I will be looking into later, but tbh I'm more worried about the fact that they can creep in through the windowsills at all... that shouldn't be a thing that is happening õ_õ

Trust me they always find a way in. Back in my Finland home we had tiny black ants that always appear in the spring, without a fail, and no attempt at getting rid of them has ever worked. Vacuuming them up gets rid of them (also works for fruit flies and wasps) for a bit but then new ones come pouring in.

I just had a jog in a weather that's exactly in between fog and rain and has all the annoying qualities of both. Makes you cold, soaks through the trousers and is hard to breathe, ew...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9923 on: August 30, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »
I just had a jog in a weather that's exactly in between fog and rain and has all the annoying qualities of both. Makes you cold, soaks through the trousers and is hard to breathe, ew...

I actually like that kind of weather when it's more on the fog side than the rain side. Mostly because it's not actually raining. When it's hot outside though... Humidity and heat is a bad combination.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #9924 on: August 30, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »
Trust me they always find a way in. Back in my Finland home we had tiny black ants that always appear in the spring, without a fail, and no attempt at getting rid of them has ever worked.

That's the problem we have. Every spring. They usually stop at some point, but this year they haven't. :/
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9925 on: August 30, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »

Do you have trees around your house? A lot of times ants use tree branches that are touching the house as a way to get to the windows and inside. When I had an ant problem, the exterminator told us to remove a tree branch that was touching the roof, and the ants stopped coming. It might be something to look in to *shrug*
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #9926 on: August 30, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
No ants for me ; my first memory involves hens. A lot of hens for a two-years old. And some turkeys.

Yes, please change the conversation away from ants. I don't have the proper reaction pic for this, but I've been making the most disgusted face while reading through this discussion >^<

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9927 on: August 30, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »
I'M SO SORRY NO MORE ANT TALK FROM NOW
fog talk reminds me of another Childhood Memory though if you're okay reading about ambhibians and reptiles and stuff

when I was with a lot of kids from school up at the Local Mountain somewhere for camping purposes, and everyone managed to catch small frogs. like, everyone had a tiny pet frog and let them swim around in small ponds and stuff. Then came two of the older kids along, and they had big frogs in their palms. everyone was all "OOOH WHERE DID YOU GET THESE", and they pointed to a Mysterious and Foggy part of the mountain.

Me, having no frog pet at all, decided that i want a Big Frog for a pet so I could play with the others AND be admired, right. So me and some trusted frends went right into the foggy parts to explore for a while, probably worrying the adults for a bit and  maybe we did get a little lost. but when we returned, I didn't have a big frog - but a lizard. We had found it chilling on the bottom of a stream and it had blue stripes and a smol tongue and it was super cute and was totally ok with being held. I was admired by everyone around me until the end of the day when we all released our pets. it was cool

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9928 on: August 30, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
I actually like that kind of weather when it's more on the fog side than the rain side. Mostly because it's not actually raining. When it's hot outside though... Humidity and heat is a bad combination.

Thankfully Iceland has no such problem, I mean temperature-wise. Humidity you can't escape but at least it's the cold kind of humidity, last time I had to survive humidity + heat (some years back in Japan during the rainy season) I got so ill I managed to impress even myself, and made a solemn decision to forever avoid Japan during early summer...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9929 on: August 30, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
Trust me they always find a way in. Back in my Finland home we had tiny black ants that always appear in the spring, without a fail, and no attempt at getting rid of them has ever worked. Vacuuming them up gets rid of them (also works for fruit flies and wasps) for a bit but then new ones come pouring in.

"My" spring ants aren't tiny. I know when spring really has come when one morning I enter the bathroom - still half asleep - and find all my shower gels, shampoos, and other staff black with ants, because they're always besieging the bath tub. And I live in a city and on an upper floor.  :-\

edit:
Yes, please change the conversation away from ants. I don't have the proper reaction pic for this, but I've been making the most disgusted face while reading through this discussion >^<
ooops, sorry
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:51:18 PM by Helia »
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: