Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387979 times)

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #870 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »
Did...did they taste good?

I don't remember. It was mostly disturbing.

This is a small part of our campus at NMBU. I don't know if it counts as very big, but it's pretty spread out since we're not in a city.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #871 on: October 29, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
I watched a game of American football from the sidelines once. When they finally got started crashing into one another I was all "Get em!" but then they just stopped after a few seconds and returned to their starting position.

It got boring quite fast, in association football they keep the action going at least (in fact I'm still a bit electric after watching my favorite team, the German national team, at the World Cup semi-finals this summer).

Haha.  There's a reason football is a quintessentially American sport:  random and intense violence, interspersed with committee meetings.  (as George Carlin or somebody once said.)

Association football/soccer, OTOH, deserves to be called "the beautiful game."  At least from a clueless spectator's point of view, it's easier to admire the players minus helmets and all that body armor!   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #872 on: October 29, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »
This is a small part of our campus at NMBU. I don't know if it counts as very big, but it's pretty spread out since we're not in a city.

I've been to several city campuses and they are more spread out than any of the countryside campuses I've seen. NTNU for instance is all over the place.

Association football/soccer, OTOH, deserves to be called "the beautiful game."  At least from a clueless spectator's point of view, it's easier to admire the players minus helmets and all that body armor!   ;)

I get the feeling you are more interested in the players than the game when it comes to sports.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #873 on: October 29, 2014, 04:36:11 PM »
I've been to several city campuses and they are more spread out than any of the countryside campuses I've seen. NTNU for instance is all over the place.

Yeah, but they don't have a farm~
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #874 on: October 29, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
I've been to several city campuses and they are more spread out than any of the countryside campuses I've seen.
Well, judging from the ones I've seen, "going cramped on every single parcel they could get, and then getting ever more splattered all over the place everytime they cannot avoid acquiring a new one" would be more like it.

I see that my alma mater (15k students, from IIRC ~10k in my days) saw fit to have the psychologists and their uncanny signature sculpture welcome the visitors to its website (including the collection of campus maps) ... ???
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #875 on: October 29, 2014, 05:10:27 PM »

I see that my alma mater (15k students, from IIRC ~10k in my days) saw fit to have the psychologists and their uncanny signature sculpture welcome the visitors to its website (including the collection of campus maps) ... ???

What's that meant to represent?  "Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains"?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #876 on: October 29, 2014, 06:17:09 PM »
This is a young thread and I don't want to seem like a joykill, but I will nevertheless say it.

Please be cautious with stereotyping. You never know what's going to hurt someone else.

That said, I don't feel like I can add much to this thread. Finland is in the actual canon story, we have seen how things are there.
It's all in good fun, mate. Really, if you can't laugh at yourself, then you deserve to be laughed at by others.

JoB

« Reply #877 on: October 29, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
What's that meant to represent?  "Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains"?
Can't say that I followed the discussion very closely, but it is supposed to represent a human's mind, which - as the psychologists can attest to, and actually prove quite conclusively - is a lot less "free" and, for lack of a better term, capable than the layman might want to believe his own to be. Hence, no eyes, no arms, and behind bars.

Then again, they still did fail to anticipate the amount of "ugly"/"disturbing" backlash they got for that choice ... ;)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #878 on: October 29, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »
Can't say that I followed the discussion very closely, but it is supposed to represent a human's mind, which - as the psychologists can attest to, and actually prove quite conclusively - is a lot less "free" and, for lack of a better term, capable than the layman might want to believe his own to be. Hence, no eyes, no arms, and behind bars.

Then again, they still did fail to anticipate the amount of "ugly"/"disturbing" backlash they got for that choice ... ;)

Such an inspiring sculpture to greet you and prospective students every day X'D
Maybe it would've been better inside the Psych building....where the students who understand it can pass it every morning ;) I love how they're all posing joyfully around it X3

We have a large rotating globe sculpture in the Geo building, and I sometimes take a 10 minute detour to go see it (and the rock collection and the fake dinosaurs and the earth quake thing) because it's so coooool and it's spiiiiiiins!! The Engineering building has a big old turbine thing in the lobby to greet you, but that's not as cool as the giant globe. U___U

Also, General Discussion: I had my English Major exam this morning, and I think I did ok for one day's study O___O plus some extra "drama" during the exam (ThisCat knows what I mean....but don't ask... Haha [i was wondering why I felt so sick before the exam, but now I know] :P) so I finished an hour early like usual and high-tailed it outta there hahahahaaaaaaggghhhh
-__-
But I think I did good. Maybe. I answered the questions so I shouldn't fail.....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:32:01 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #879 on: October 29, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
I really need to look up what classes I have to take next semester.  Like, really soon.  It just sucks so bad.  I don't even remember what classes I took last semester -__-  I think I'll stop procrastinating... tomorrow...
Either way I'm not exiting out of my list of classes.  I finally pulled it up today, after all. 

Hmm.  A new post about statues while I was typing.  The only statues we have here are of people, except one modern-art-looking thing.  One of the statues has a "cursed" plaque that makes you never graduate from here if you read it.  It's silly, and has no meaning, but I've still never read it. 
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #880 on: October 30, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »
I really need to look up what classes I have to take next semester.  Like, really soon.  It just sucks so bad.  I don't even remember what classes I took last semester -__-  I think I'll stop procrastinating... tomorrow...
Either way I'm not exiting out of my list of classes.  I finally pulled it up today, after all. 

Hmm.  A new post about statues while I was typing.  The only statues we have here are of people, except one modern-art-looking thing.  One of the statues has a "cursed" plaque that makes you never graduate from here if you read it.  It's silly, and has no meaning, but I've still never read it.

What? Why would you have to exit your classes??  Pulled up what? D8
It would be a good idea to get your future units sorted out and enrolled in soon, especially if they're popular with a limited student intake :/ Go reserve a place while you can! And then relax with the peace of mind of organized subjects. :3

Man, that plaque sounds scary and hilarious at the same time! Good job for not reading it Eich O___O

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #881 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:27 AM »
What? Why would you have to exit your classes??  Pulled up what? D8
It would be a good idea to get your future units sorted out and enrolled in soon, especially if they're popular with a limited student intake :/ Go reserve a place while you can! And then relax with the peace of mind of organized subjects. :3

Man, that plaque sounds scary and hilarious at the same time! Good job for not reading it Eich O___O
Oh, no, just the list of classes I need to take while I'm at school.  Just pulled that list up.  I'm not closing out of the tab I have it open in, because I won't open it up again if I do exit it.  Co-oping students like me get some significant priority when picking classes.  I could probably take that archery class soon...  My school offers some weird, cool stuff like disc golf and metallurgy, which I want to take a couple of.  Unfortunately, art classes are locked to art majors/minors, so those are out of my reach.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #882 on: October 30, 2014, 12:27:03 AM »
Oh, no, just the list of classes I need to take while I'm at school.  Just pulled that list up.  I'm not closing out of the tab I have it open in, because I won't open it up again if I do exit it.  Co-oping students like me get some significant priority when picking classes.  I could probably take that archery class soon...  My school offers some weird, cool stuff like disc golf and metallurgy, which I want to take a couple of.  Unfortunately, art classes are locked to art majors/minors, so those are out of my reach.
Oooooooh you're managing enrollment stuff then. Ah. That's good that you get priority!
Archery sounds cool and subtly badass! I wish my school offered cool classes like that ;m; will that class show up on your degree?? 8D hehe

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #883 on: October 30, 2014, 12:32:54 AM »
So today is one of those days. Windows 2012 server is nice in some ways, but just plain weird in others. *deep sigh* I want to go and play The Witcher for a few hours to get it all out of my system, but other school subjects are knocking on my door... I'm one of those procrastinators too, Eich, haha. Four weeks and a few days left of school, and an insane amount of work to do. One of those times where present Lenny is shaking its fist at past Lenny. (Why didn't you do all that documentation months ago? So much extra work, you horrid person!)

No statues on-campus here. Lots and lots of blossoming fruit trees, though - it smells so nice and everything is covered in light pink petals.
Am notified of private messages via email.

JoB

« Reply #884 on: October 30, 2014, 12:36:53 AM »
Such an inspiring sculpture to greet you and prospective students every day X'D
Maybe it would've been better inside the Psych building....
Well that is the psych building behind it ... the U has a knack for choosing landscape architecture and large-ish sculptures for its works of art, so only most paintings and the electronics-laden one in the math building are inside.