Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424606 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #885 on: October 30, 2014, 02:17:35 AM »
Please excuse the interruption, but my hometown baseball team, the San Francisco Giants, just won the World Series.  Whooooo!  Yet another "ragtag bunch of misfits" with hitherto unknown talents, who manage to win against long odds.  Any SSSS reader knows victory is inevitable!
http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/YES-YES-YES-5857204.php

I am elated.  ;D But also relieved to actually be living 17 miles from downtown S.F., where drunk yahoos are currently tipping over buses, smashing windows, and setting fires.  (Well, I should talk -- I'm high on a combination of hotel vodka-tonics, swigged with my mother after a ladylike evening at the theater, and unaccustomed sporting enthusiasm.)

I now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #886 on: October 30, 2014, 03:59:43 AM »
My school offers some weird, cool stuff like disc golf

Disc golf is not weird, it's fun - and much easier to start and have as a hobby than ball golf. We usually go round the local routes quite regularly in summer time. I know some people golf in winter too, but this far we haven't felt any need to go wading in snow and digging out the baskets so we could freeze our fingers winter golfing.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #887 on: October 30, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »
It's all in good fun, mate. Really, if you can't laugh at yourself, then you deserve to be laughed at by others.

We wouldn't want to turn this into a discussion, but how would you feel if I insulted your nationality? I might have some weird stereotype that all Americans are incredibly stupid and all of them are killers (there IS that stereotype, believe me), how would you feel if I used that to laugh at you? If you want to laugh at people, then this thread would be better off in another community.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #888 on: October 30, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
Disc golf is not weird, it's fun - and much easier to start and have as a hobby than ball golf. We usually go round the local routes quite regularly in summer time. I know some people golf in winter too, but this far we haven't felt any need to go wading in snow and digging out the baskets so we could freeze our fingers winter golfing.

I've actually tried it once or twice--needless to say I cannot aim or even throw properly. I'm sure it's fun, though.  :P

In other news, I accidentally deleted my midterms essay. Woot. :-\

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #889 on: October 30, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
We wouldn't want to turn this into a discussion, but how would you feel if I insulted your nationality? I might have some weird stereotype that all Americans are incredibly stupid and all of them are killers (there IS that stereotype, believe me), how would you feel if I used that to laugh at you? If you want to laugh at people, then this thread would be better off in another community.
Oh believe me, I've used that stereotype tons of times. Though mostly it's confined to Texans.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #890 on: October 30, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
I've actually tried it once or twice--needless to say I cannot aim or even throw properly. I'm sure it's fun, though.  :P

Oh, crap.  That's really not good.  Big benefit of doing a math/science major: no papers.  We have reports, but those are usually pretty simple.
*Sigh*  Have to pick out my classes today for next semester when I go back to proper schooling.  Not looking forward to exams, I'm gonna have both fluid mechanics and thermodynamics at the same time.  That is not a good time to be had.  Not at all.  In fact, I might not be on the forum for maybe a week at a time, when tests start happening.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #891 on: October 30, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »
Oh, crap.  That's really not good.  Big benefit of doing a math/science major: no papers.  We have reports, but those are usually pretty simple.
*Sigh*  Have to pick out my classes today for next semester when I go back to proper schooling.  Not looking forward to exams, I'm gonna have both fluid mechanics and thermodynamics at the same time.  That is not a good time to be had.  Not at all.  In fact, I might not be on the forum for maybe a week at a time, when tests start happening.
Hey, that's understandable! Tests are priority! And you've got Noako on patrol :3

Yesterday I wrote an exam/essay about a play that had thermodynamics and the chaos theory all through it, (it's "Arcadia" by Tom Stoppard) but I was focusing in the gardens symbolism and connection to Romanticism instead :P

Oh no!! Can you retrieve it somehow?? O,mO,
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #892 on: October 30, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #893 on: October 30, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
What in the world is that?
It was trying to be a sad face with tears..... But it went wrooooooonnnnnnng.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #894 on: October 30, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
And you've got Noako on patrol :3

Yeah, Noako is usually around. Patrolling. Silently watching.

(Just had to covertly insert another gravity falls link because I love that show).

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #895 on: October 30, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »

Oh nooooooo!  :'( Did you lose all of it? Couldn't you save a tiny little bit?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #896 on: October 30, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
Yeah, Noako is usually around. Patrolling. Silently watching.

(Just had to covertly insert another gravity falls link because I love that show).

Yup! Noako is like a friendly Bill, or the Society of the Blind Eye!
Gosh I love that show! But it doesn't air here so I have watch it uuuh *cough* in a way that would make Grunkle Stan kinda proud X'S *coughillegallycOUGH*

Edit: aaaaagghgh!! This is the one episode I haven't been able to seeee! Thaaaaanks! *ridiculous wave dance*
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:16:03 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #897 on: October 30, 2014, 06:17:11 PM »
Yup! Noako is like a friendly Bill, or the Society of the Blind Eye!
Gosh I love that show! But it doesn't air here so I have watch it uuuh *cough* in a way that would make Grunkle Stan kinda proud X'S *coughillegallycOUGH*

Don't worry about it OrigamiOwl, I'm proud of ya too *double thumb of approval*. I mean, there are tons of cartoons and animes that don't air where I live so I have to resort to the internet. No one is being ripped off because no one is actually airing the show anyways.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:31:21 PM by Fimbulvarg »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #898 on: October 30, 2014, 06:35:11 PM »
Don't worry about it OrigamiOwl, I'm proud of ya too *double thumb of approval*. I mean, there are tons of cartoons and animes that don't air where I live so I have to resort to the internet. No one is being ripped off because no one is actually airing the show anyways.
Pheeeeeew! That's a relief.
(Oh my gosh mermaaaaando X'D)

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #899 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
CHALLENGE! Find three posts on this forum or in the SSSS comments where you laugh at yourself. (Three posts predating this challenge, of course - no cheating by going and posting!)

Posts in other fora can't count (I'm afraid) because there may be more than one "Noah O." in the world. Sorry!

You have all the time in the world to complete this challenge! The clock starts now!
My one-and-only: :uk: