Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411599 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9555 on: August 20, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »
Doctors may be a vocation for persons who are able to look at horrible things ??? I know some students who could be doctors soon. They have books with awful photos they show you at 7am while taking breakfast because you asked what speciality they are studying right now. They're... different. But it's perfect to take away your appetite.

Doctor, like mathematician, is one of those jobs I'm super glad I don't have, but even more super-glad that other people are interested in. We need these things, just... I don't want to have to be around them for too long.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9556 on: August 20, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
Doctor, like mathematician, is one of those jobs I'm super glad I don't have, but even more super-glad that other people are interested in. We need these things, just... I don't want to have to be around them for too long.
You're made for a job or not :)
I would just love to find what "real job" fits me.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #9557 on: August 20, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
You're made for a job or not :)
I would just love to find what "real job" fits me.

Amen to that one...  :(
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9558 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
I don't know, I always feel like it's kinda bad form to swat mosquitoes. Like, all they wanted was a tiny drop of blood that you'd (probably) give at a blood drive to save people, and they can't reproduce without it...
That said, I do not live in an especially buggy area, I suppose the urge to smack them intensifies exponentially as population increases
[/hippie vegetarian talk]
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9559 on: August 20, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »
I don't know, I always feel like it's kinda bad form to swat mosquitoes. Like, all they wanted was a tiny drop of blood that you'd (probably) give at a blood drive to save people, and they can't reproduce without it...
That said, I do not live in an especially buggy area, I suppose the urge to smack them intensifies exponentially as population increases
[/hippie vegetarian talk]

But also they can transmit some pretty terrifying diseases, so it's probably best not to let them bite. Maybe go for a compromise and put on some bug spray so they don't try to bite you in the first place?
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #9560 on: August 20, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
But also they can transmit some pretty terrifying diseases, so it's probably best not to let them bite. Maybe go for a compromise and put on some bug spray so they don't try to bite you in the first place?

Yeahhh, my mom always makes me put on the bug spray so I don't get encephalitis or west nile virus etc etc
YEET

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9561 on: August 20, 2015, 07:40:46 PM »
We don't have much risk of West Nile or anything around here (I think there's been, like, one case [and that on the other end of the state] in the last several years?) because there aren't really very many mosquitoes at all; you'll probably only get bit if you spend all day, every day jogging around stagnant ponds (or you leave this area). I think it's because the whole city's made of hills, so there isn't much standing water.
I sometimes put on bug stuff if I'm going somewhere buggy, but...
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9562 on: August 20, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
We don't have much risk of West Nile or anything around here (I think there's been, like, one case [and that on the other end of the state] in the last several years?) because there aren't really very many mosquitoes at all; you'll probably only get bit if you spend all day, every day jogging around stagnant ponds (or you leave this area). I think it's because the whole city's made of hills, so there isn't much standing water.
I sometimes put on bug stuff if I'm going somewhere buggy, but...

You lucky, lucky person. It's not as bad here as some places, but I'd better be sure I bring the bug spray if I go out into the woods.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9563 on: August 21, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »
Hello. It's like the middle of the night here and I've actually been sleeping for several hours, but the weather is suuusuuuper loud (I was actually worried my windows would break at one point) and it woke me up and I can't sleep now.

Also the wifi is down and has been down since this afternoon because of the weather (I'm on my phone). Hopefully the power won't go as well.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #9564 on: August 21, 2015, 01:57:03 AM »
Hello. It's like the middle of the night here and I've actually been sleeping for several hours, but the weather is suuusuuuper loud (I was actually worried my windows would break at one point) and it woke me up and I can't sleep now.

Also the wifi is down and has been down since this afternoon because of the weather (I'm on my phone). Hopefully the power won't go as well.

That sounds awful, don't die! Hope the weather quiets down soon o:

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #9565 on: August 21, 2015, 04:00:22 AM »
Hi :P
I'm texting in the train because I'm going to the other part of Spain to visit my aunt and grandparents. It's weird because it's me and my mother only and my father it's at home because of his job ::) Anyways, just saying I don't think I'll be online. (I'm going to re-read aRTD and SSSS again :3c)

So yeah, sorry for being off-topic ^^"
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9566 on: August 21, 2015, 04:43:22 AM »
Meanwhile in Iceland:

Björgunarsveitinn (voluntary rescue units, highly trained professionals who answer almost any emergency call from people lost on glaciers to people swept out at sea to lesser problems such as helping out when it snows so much everything gets stuck)(and yes, they're voluntary workers meaning that they'll jump into action at any time of the day, at their own expense, won't be paid a penny for their troubles) is looking for four riders and fifty horses.

I did a total double-take when I read that headline, but there was a logical explanation to how someone can lose 50 horses: the riders were rounding up horses on some faraway meadow and then got lost on their way over the heath in thick fog. They're still lost, have spent the night on the heath and the problem with finding them is that the visibility in the fog is currently 10m and their phones don't work.

Btw "blind þoka" (= blind fog) is really scary. I was once in some on - heh - Esjan, it looks like this:

As another double-take title from this morning, some British kid made an attempt at credit card fraud, that's the best I can say about how it went. He ordered two iphones and a laptop, all three from the same small store, paid each one with a different credit card and wanted them delivered to his hotel... like, kid, have you any idea what really stands out in a small country?

If the above wasn't silly enough, one of his credit cards was registered in Kuala Lumpur...

EDIT: on sadder news, a missing man has been found, dead. Problem? No one knows who he is, or that he was missing in the first place. Guest houses are being asked to check their registers starting from October 2014.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:59:17 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #9567 on: August 21, 2015, 05:01:30 AM »
Btw "blind þoka" (= blind fog) is really scary. I was once in some on - heh - Esjan, it looks like this:
Oooooooh ! *Fascinated* (Yes. By fog. Like snow, but in a different way. Anyway, I'm like 4 years old inside if there is fog around me.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #9568 on: August 21, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »

I would like to concur with Mélusine above that fog is weirdly cool, although I must admit I wouldn't like to go too far into that without knowing the area like the back of my hand first!
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

« Reply #9569 on: August 21, 2015, 06:06:51 AM »
I would like to concur with Mélusine above that fog is weirdly cool, although I must admit I wouldn't like to go too far into that without knowing the area like the back of my hand first!
Precision : I would stand with an huge smile and enthusiasm and waving hands, saying things like "Isn't it marvelous ? Anything could come from the fog ! That's magical !"* before trying to go inside with precautions if it is so... so... well.
Bonus for fog seen in mountains areas in the morning, still tied to the top or to the forest. Magical :)

* at this moment, "normal" people ordinary look at me, thinking I might be a little crazy because uh, fog. Anyway, I don't care, I love fog.