Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411138 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9540 on: August 20, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
This sounds familliar... Aaah yes now I remember.

I have absolutely zero recollection of that quote. Well done.

"I don't want to go to Iceland anymore, mom" x_x

Moose flies are primarily a Northern Scandinavian thing.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9541 on: August 20, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
I had no explication for the presence of frogs in a dream a few nights ago, if I dream of have a nightmare with horrible mosquitos I'll know who to blame ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #9542 on: August 20, 2015, 05:24:51 PM »
I'm just going to sit here and shudder and be glad that the mosquito situation where I'm at isn't so bad. (Farther north, however... yikes.)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9543 on: August 20, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
"I don't want to go to Iceland anymore, mom" x_x
But like Daéa, my urge to visit Iceland may or may not have dropped just a smidgen

Oops, I should probably have specified that this was when I still lived in Finland. Iceland is totally moose fly free zone! ;D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #9544 on: August 20, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
I promise that will be the worst thing I post today.

Could be worse, I guess. But like Daéa, my urge to visit Iceland may or may not have dropped just a smidgen
Okay, I make the choice to trust you, but I won't go to see your link *VERY suspicious*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #9545 on: August 20, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »
Oops, I should probably have specified that this was when I still lived in Finland. Iceland is totally moose fly free zone! ;D

*Urge to visit Iceland skyrockets*

Okay, I make the choice to trust you, but I won't go to see your link *VERY suspicious*

It's a link to a wikipedia article about parasitic flies. Fair warning? :)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #9546 on: August 20, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »
I had no explication for the presence of frogs in a dream a few nights ago, if I dream of have a nightmare with horrible mosquitos I'll know who to blame ::)

THE MAGICIANS, obviously

Finland, why D:
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9547 on: August 20, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
I have absolutely zero recollection of that quote. Well done.

* Feartheviolas remembers everything...

Moose flies are primarily a Northern Scandinavian thing.

Yeah Iceland has these instead:

Just to make this clear, I was serious about the flamethrower.

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9548 on: August 20, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
Finland, why D:

Because moose. It's in the name. Iceland doesn't have any moose AFAIK.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #9549 on: August 20, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »
Oooh, Sectoboss, I read something where those featured heavily. The Dante Club, I believe -

Spoiler: squick warning, this is not nice • show

They were released into somebody's head wound and he sat there for days being eaten alive.

Lovely book, actually, I would recommend it to anybody who likes mystery and doesn't mind some graphic gore!

don't click, trust me v____v
YEET

Mélusine

« Reply #9550 on: August 20, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »
don't click, trust me v____v
In my former job, we had medical files to process. It was implying to understand what kind of disease it could be, for some reasons, and sometimes we had no idea what a... (I don't remember the name of the syndrome Ah. Yes. A "Steven Johnson syndrome" or something like that. You don't want to know more.) was but one colleague asked wikipedia. WORST. IDEA. EVER. We will always remember her "HAAAAAAA, it's disgusting !" which make us used, if we couldn't avoid a research, to raise one hand in order to hide the eventual photo.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #9551 on: August 20, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
Oooh, Sectoboss, I read something where those featured heavily. The Dante Club, I believe -

They were released into somebody's head wound and he sat there for days being eaten alive.

Lovely book, actually, I would recommend it to anybody who likes mystery and doesn't mind some graphic gore!

Mystery and graphic gore... hmmm
*begins googling this book*
Sounds worth a read!

In my former job, we had medical files to process. It was implying to understand what kind of disease it could be, for some reasons, and sometimes we had no idea what a... (I don't remember the name of the syndrome Ah. Yes. A "Steven Johnson syndrome" or something like that. You don't want to know more.) was but one colleague asked wikipedia. WORST. IDEA. EVER. We will always remember her "HAAAAAAA, it's disgusting !" which make us used, if we couldn't avoid a research, to raise one hand in order to hide the eventual photo.
Yeesh. Yeah, I just googled that. This is why I could never be a doctor.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9552 on: August 20, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »

That's actually a central aspect of an ancient Persian torture method involving insects. I won't relate the details because it's not safe for life. Let's just say humanity has a bottomless capacity for causing unfathomable pain and anguish.

Mélusine

« Reply #9553 on: August 20, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
Yeesh. Yeah, I just googled that. This is why I could never be a doctor.
Haaaaaaa, what don't you understand in "You don't want to know more" ?
The others : don't try to see what it is. Please.

Doctors may be a vocation for persons who are able to look at horrible things ??? I know some students who could be doctors soon. They have books with awful photos they show you at 7am while taking breakfast because you asked what speciality they are studying right now. They're... different. But it's perfect to take away your appetite.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9554 on: August 20, 2015, 05:53:06 PM »
Manitoba has such a huge mosquito problem that there are helecopters that go out and spray for them every year. It's called The Mosquito Capital of Canada.
I can confirm that Manitoba is the hell storm of mosquito territory. Sometimes I forget how bad it can be (living in California where there are like 0 mosquitos in our forests), but then when I visit relatives, all the nightmares come rushing back...

A swarm of nasty little buggers rising out of the grass with every step you take in Brandon...

Winnipeg releasing thousands of fully grown dragonflies every summer to battle the squitos for dominance of the skies, going outside for 5 minutes and coming back in with 10 new bites...

Oh god the horror o_O
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat: