Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387729 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9405 on: August 16, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »
Hnnggg why does it take ages to wait for the tap water to turn cold (warm water immediately available though) (actually make that scalding hot, Iceland does not believe in safety measures such as having a max temperature for tap water) (other than boiling, methinks)...

Haha, this worked: I let the water run and wrote this comment, went back and it had cooled somewhere just beyond lukewarm. It's not what I wanted but it will have to do, the need for coffee is too strong.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9406 on: August 16, 2015, 12:02:56 PM »
Make sure you don't eat any poisonous ones!
I would never O:

mushroom picking trip more like WHERE DID HAIZ GO
* Haiz picks several pine needles out of shirt

there weren't a lot of mushrooms yet, anyway. Either it's a bad year or a slow summer. It was nice being in the forest again, though!!! I love hunting for mushrooms, every time I went at a school trip to the forest as a kid I would usually have a tiny mushroom encyclopedia with me and stuff my by-then emptied lunchbox full of finds. everyone else were like "ew mushrooms" but hey more mushrooms for me
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9407 on: August 16, 2015, 12:06:20 PM »
Hnnggg why does it take ages to wait for the tap water to turn cold (warm water immediately available though) (actually make that scalding hot, Iceland does not believe in safety measures such as having a max temperature for tap water) (other than boiling, methinks)...

Haha, this worked: I let the water run and wrote this comment, went back and it had cooled somewhere just beyond lukewarm. It's not what I wanted but it will have to do, the need for coffee is too strong.

I made the grave mistake of drinking the unfiltered water at my friend's house, and my mouth tasted like volcanoes (sulphur) for like three days afterwards.

I love hunting for mushrooms, every time I went at a school trip to the forest as a kid I would usually have a tiny mushroom encyclopedia with me and stuff my by-then emptied lunchbox full of finds. everyone else were like "ew mushrooms" but hey more mushrooms for me

MUSHROOOOOOMMMSSS :D
* Feartheviolas is actually a hobbit
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #9408 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
I made the grave mistake of drinking the unfiltered water at my friend's house, and my mouth tasted like volcanoes (sulphur) for like three days afterwards.
Eesh, I went around drinking water out of streams and glaciers and things, and it tasted nicer than the water in the hostel.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9409 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:38 PM »
MUSHROOOOOOMMMSSS :D
* Feartheviolas is actually a hobbit
*hobbit high five*

oh wait I can probably repost this:
Spoiler: tru story from life of haiz • show

8th grade was the start of middle school which meant that my 7th grade class converged with two others, and at the very beginning of the year there was a socializing trip to the forest and this was basically my first impression on many people. CONGRATS, SELF
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9410 on: August 16, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »

Btw this is no joke, you can't get totally used to sulfur taste in water, ever. Even Icelanders don't although they live here since birth, there's even a word for "hot water taste". Cold water tastes mildly like sulfur too if you're not used to it but not too badly, after a few weeks you stop both smelling and tasting it.

Eesh, I went around drinking water out of streams and glaciers and things, and it tasted nicer than the water in the hostel.

Oh indeed, glacier rivers/mountain streams have the best tasting water ever. The first year I lived here I once asked, during a hike, whether the water in the mountain streams was drinkable and got pretty awesome stares out of the locals. The best I could describe it is a combination of surprise, mild insult and pity... and after a slightly too long pause a few said almost in unison: "yes", and nothing more. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #9411 on: August 16, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
While we're on the subject, Vancouver's tap water tastes freaking amazing, because the mountains are right there. Unfortunately, it's quite soft, so getting shampoo or soap out took some work.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9412 on: August 16, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
While we're on the subject, Vancouver's tap water tastes freaking amazing, because the mountains are right there. Unfortunately, it's quite soft, so getting shampoo or soap out took some work.

Ok, I've heard this before, but I don't quite understand it. What makes water "soft" or "hard"? What's the difference?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #9413 on: August 16, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
Ok, I've heard this before, but I don't quite understand it. What makes water "soft" or "hard"? What's the difference?
Hard water has a higher mineral mineral content in it - like, calcium and magnesium.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9414 on: August 16, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »
Hard water has a higher mineral mineral content in it - like, calcium and magnesium.

How does that affect soap?

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #9415 on: August 16, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »
How does that affect soap?
Well, wikipedia says this: "Because soft water has few Calcium ions, there is no inhibition of the action of soaps and no soap scum is formed in normal washing."

But I personally found that soft water doesn't get soap off as easily as hard water, I can't really tell you why.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9416 on: August 16, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »
Well, wikipedia says this: "Because soft water has few Calcium ions, there is no inhibition of the action of soaps and no soap scum is formed in normal washing."

But I personally found that soft water doesn't get soap off as easily as hard water, I can't really tell you why.

*nods* This is what I get for writing poetry with my friends instead of paying attention in highschool chemistry. I guess that makes sense.

Oh, Solo, I have been listening to the Mew songs all week and they are wonderful, so thank you :)

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #9417 on: August 16, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
Oh, Solo, I have been listening to the Mew songs all week and they are wonderful, so thank you :)
Oh, awesome! :D I'm glad you like them! They're one of my favorites <3

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9418 on: August 16, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
When I go to my grandma's house it always takes a while for me to get used to the soft water when showering.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #9419 on: August 16, 2015, 02:13:30 PM »
I can relate to this so much it hurts.

(I apologize for the bad words, but the comic was too good not to share)

Spoiler:  watch out for language • show
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."